Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:31:18 pm

Author Topic: VCE graduate - Science At Monash  (Read 2601 times)  Share 

coolbeans2001

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
VCE graduate - Science At Monash
« on: January 05, 2019, 11:04:54 pm »
Hey guys, Ive completed VCE this year and have guaranteed entry into Monash Science, and  have a high enough atar for melbourne uni, well at least i think i do. But im keen on monash since it's closer and will save heaps of time so its my first pref..
After graduating from science I plan to do Dentistry at Melbourne,
so the question is what units/subjects do I have to do at Monash which is the equivalent in melb uni ? Could I just do a physiology major and have the prereq subjects? Also what units should I take across my science electives and other electives? im pre decent at math so should I just do the easiest math possible? or is it better to do lets say arts or business electives..?

thanks.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: VCE graduate - Science At Monash
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:56:22 pm »
+9
so the question is what units/subjects do I have to do at Monash which is the equivalent in melb uni ? Could I just do a physiology major and have the prereq subjects?
Most of that info can be found here for the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at Melbourne, including the prereqs they use at Melbourne and here for units you'd need to do for any major at Monash starting in 2019, which you can look for second year anatomy, biochem and physiology units that make up the unit requirements. For Monash, I think this translates to the DEV2011/22 for anatomy, PHY2011/32 for physiology and BCH2011/22 for biochem. Yes, a physiology major would work for the prereq units, I think. I'd confirm all of this info I've said thus far though. (Someone who knows about Monash undergrad --> Melb postgrad med/ dentistry prereqs please confirm, as Melbourne's postgrad med and dentistry seem to have basically the same prereq units.) 
im pre decent at math so should I just do the easiest math possible?
Generally, I'd advise against doing this. Every unit you take is approx. $1000, so if you don't enjoy it, you're essentially paying $1000 to hate yourself - not exactly a situation you want to be in. Do a math/ stats unit you enjoy instead.   
Also what units should I take across my science electives and other electives?
-snip-
or is it better to do lets say arts or business electives..?
All elective space is yours for the taking, so you do you. As long as you cover the prereqs for the DDS and the requirements of the BSci, nobody really minds what electives you take. Only caveat is that it might help for a job later on in the future or if you feel interested in, say, doing another science major, that's something you can do too. I've heard rumours of some people doing double majors in, say, biochem and physiology to try to improve their chances for postgrad med and dentistry, but it's not exactly a necessity AFAIK and I don't know if this even increases their chances at all, in all honesty.   

EDIT: Made in orange above. I got the unit code wrong; it was PHY2032.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:34:25 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Onyx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:13:14 am »
+1
Hey guys, Ive completed VCE this year and have guaranteed entry into Monash Science, and  have a high enough atar for melbourne uni, well at least i think i do. But im keen on monash since it's closer and will save heaps of time so its my first pref..
After graduating from science I plan to do Dentistry at Melbourne,
so the question is what units/subjects do I have to do at Monash which is the equivalent in melb uni ? Could I just do a physiology major and have the prereq subjects? Also what units should I take across my science electives and other electives? im pre decent at math so should I just do the easiest math possible? or is it better to do lets say arts or business electives..?

thanks.

I’m in the same boat with physiotherapy/dentistry at Melbourne, could someone confirm what units are required and if a major in one of five anatomy physiology etc could be used as that prereq

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 05:22:18 pm »
+8
I’m in the same boat with physiotherapy/dentistry at Melbourne, could someone confirm what units are required and if a major in one of five anatomy physiology etc could be used as that prereq

Hey Onyx,

Just to add to what AngelWings has said above:

- Note that the pre-req units for the Melb MD and DDS are also approved for physiotherapy. The document with the pre-reqs for physiotherapy you can find on the prerequisite page are additional approved pre-req units that can be taken however most of the unit codes in this document are incorrectly typed, not running in 2019, or can only be taken in the Biomedical Science degree.

Here are the specific Monash subjects that are approved for both physiotherapy and dentistry (according to the document here).
Anatomy: DEV2022
Biochemistry: BCH2011 / BCH2022
Physiology: PHY2011 and PHY2042 or PHY2011 and PHY2021* (or PHY2011 and PHY2032, or PHY2011 and PHY2820 but from the 2021 intake onwards PHY2042 or PHY2021* must also be completed.)

As stated above, you can do a major/minor in any science discipline that Monash offers, including anatomy (not a major at Monash, but developmental biology seems to cover anatomy), biochemistry, and/or physiology, as long as you take the pre-req units. For example, you may do a physiology major and complete the pre-req units and then complete the anatomy and biochemistry pre-req units as electives or even as a part of another major/minor sequence.

Hope this helps! :)

*PHY2021 doesn't seem to be a running unit anymore as it isn't in the 2019 handbook.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

coolbeans2001

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:44:24 pm »
so... practically just gotta do DEV2011/22 for anatomy, PHY2011/22 for physiology and BCH2011/22 for biochem in my second year of science and it should be all sweet? and like the bio (BIO1011/1022) units for the prereq for these units in year 1? also should I take chemistry 1 and chem 2 in my first year as prep for the gamsat?

cheers for the responses :).

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 02:11:16 pm »
+3
so... practically just gotta do DEV2011/22 for anatomy, PHY2011/22 for physiology and BCH2011/22 for biochem in my second year of science and it should be all sweet? and like the bio (BIO1011/1022) units for the prereq for these units in year 1?
Kind of. The minimum is as follows:
Quote from: Melbourne Uni DDS prereqs
The Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) require prerequisite subjects in anatomy, biochemistry and physiology (one subject of each) taught at the second-year level, or equivalent, with prerequisite subjects to have completed within 10 years of commencing the MD or DDS. For example, if applying for the 2019 intake then prerequisite subjects must have been completed from 2009 onwards.
If we follow the units listed by Lm21074 and/or the document they provided (thanks for that, btw!) and add in the prereq units: 
- DEV2022 has a prereq of DEV2011, so you'll probably need both from that.
- BCH2011 needs either biology or chem first year units, so BIO1011/22 will cover that. As an alternative, MCB2011 (needs BIO1011/22) or CHM2942 (needs CHM1022/52 or BIO1022) can be done.
- PHY2011/32 (I got the code wrong before, sorry!) can be done with BIO1011/22.

So your bare minimum then becomes:
First year: BIO1011, BIO1022 + more units
Second year: DEV2011, DEV2022, BCH2011 (or MCB2011 or CHM2942), PHY2011, PHY2032 (or PHY2820 or PHY2042) + more units.

Therefore, what you state there is okay, but not really necessary.

Side note: Sorry I got the code wrong for PHY2022 in my last post, which was meant to be PHY2032 and have edited it so it's now correct.

also should I take chemistry 1 and chem 2 in my first year as prep for the gamsat?
You don't have to, although I don't know if it's recommended or not (someone else can probably confirm). GAMSAT is a while away from first year and is only valid for 2 years, so keep that in mind.
VTAC Info Thread

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 03:34:21 pm »
+1
Also what units should I take across my science electives and other electives? im pre decent at math so should I just do the easiest math possible? or is it better to do lets say arts or business electives?

Since you've mentioned this I just wanna chime in and recommend looking into the financial and insurance mathematics extended major, as only a handful of students know of this particular area of study itself. Like most people I entered uni without a really solid direction of where I should go (even considered health sciences) but financial maths/stats/econometrics really grew into me in a way that I would never expect in high school.

If you like maths (even better if you are into business too) this extended major really does give you the edge in employment if you change your mind and want to venture into corporate industries instead of dentistry. The plus side is that you don't even have to enrol in the Bachelor of Commerce to make the switch.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

coolbeans2001

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 05:57:23 pm »
Kind of. The minimum is as follows: If we follow the units listed by Lm21074 and/or the document they provided (thanks for that, btw!) and add in the prereq units: 
- DEV2022 has a prereq of DEV2011, so you'll probably need both from that.
- BCH2011 needs either biology or chem first year units, so BIO1011/22 will cover that. As an alternative, MCB2011 (needs BIO1011/22) or CHM2942 (needs CHM1022/52 or BIO1022) can be done.
- PHY2011/32 (I got the code wrong before, sorry!) can be done with BIO1011/22.

So your bare minimum then becomes:
First year: BIO1011, BIO1022 + more units
Second year: DEV2011, DEV2022, BCH2011 (or MCB2011 or CHM2942), PHY2011, PHY2032 (or PHY2820 or PHY2042) + more units.

Therefore, what you state there is okay, but not really necessary.

Side note: Sorry I got the code wrong for PHY2022 in my last post, which was meant to be PHY2032 and have edited it so it's now correct.
You don't have to, although I don't know if it's recommended or not (someone else can probably confirm). GAMSAT is a while away from first year and is only valid for 2 years, so keep that in mind.

so just 1 unit of each biochem, phys, anat? with the respective prereqs for those units?
essentially:
-->DEV2011 and DEV2022,
-->BCH2011,
-->PHY2011 and PHY2042
this should be good for year 2 and sufficient for the prereqs of DDS?

since for phy, the prereqs change from 2021 intake?
Physiology: PHY2011 and PHY2042 or PHY2011 and PHY2021* (or PHY2011 and PHY2032, or PHY2011 and PHY2820 but from the 2021 intake onwards PHY2042 or PHY2021* must also be completed.)
quote from Im21074
I should just stick with PHY2011 and PHY2042 right?

Anyone have any recommendations for electives and science unit electives, thanks!

Thanks for all the responses guys, will take all into consideration  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 06:39:22 pm »
+1
Anyone have any recommendations for electives and science unit electives, thanks!
what areas of study are you interested in - from your posts I would assume science and maths (to a lesser extent)

From your OP you say you might try to do the easiest units - I would advise against this if that is the only reason you are doing those units. It's best to choose units that you actually want to do and you will enjoy/help you and this often is the major factor that increases students scores at uni.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »
so just 1 unit of each biochem, phys, anat? with the respective prereqs for those units?
essentially:
-->DEV2011 and DEV2022,
-->BCH2011,
-->PHY2011 and PHY2042
this should be good for year 2 and sufficient for the prereqs of DDS?

since for phy, the prereqs change from 2021 intake?  quote from Im21074
I should just stick with PHY2011 and PHY2042 right?
Looks like it from the looks of things.
VTAC Info Thread