Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 06:12:41 pm

Author Topic: Internal Transfers  (Read 3913 times)  Share 

grevenchorf

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Internal Transfers
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:32 am »
Hey guys,

I'm doing Arts this year but hoping to transfer into Arts/Law in the second year. I just had a few questions about the process:

1) When are there intakes for Arts/Law students from internal transfers? Is it just at the end of the year or can you do it after Semester 1?

2) Do they look at the subjects you've done when deciding who to accept, or is it JUST based on the average mark?

3) How many students would likely be accepted via internal transfer for a course like Arts/Law?

Thanks in advance :)

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
Re: Internal Transfers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
1) Depends on university some do mid year applications and transfers whereas some do not. Your best bet would be to email Monash and see how they view this but I would assume after the first semester would be fine if your marks are high enough.

2) It will be a combination of both you will need a highish average mark to show that you are going to do well and worthy of a transfer and they will look at your art subjects to see how they fit in with the double degree of arts/law.

3) Hard to say depends on how many others are transferring to other courses at the same university or moving to other universities along with how many spots were left at the start of the year.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:22 pm »
1) Depends on university some do mid year applications and transfers whereas some do not. Your best bet would be to email Monash and see how they view this but I would assume after the first semester would be fine if your marks are high enough.

2) It will be a combination of both you will need a highish average mark to show that you are going to do well and worthy of a transfer and they will look at your art subjects to see how they fit in with the double degree of arts/law.
3) Hard to say depends on how many others are transferring to other courses at the same university or moving to other universities along with how many spots were left at the start of the year.

I don't think this is right (do you have a source for this??). At the art lecture someone asked if they should take subjects that correlate to the double degree they wish to transfer to (also arts/law) and the lecturer said no. He said we should pick what we enjoy then we would be more likely to get those higher marks needed for the transfer. I don't think subject choice matters in this instance.

The lecturer also said that arts/law was one of the most difficult degrees to transfer into so I would assume that many people would apply and few would get in. Not to sure on the exact numbers though
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:13 pm »

I don't think this is right (do you have a source for this??). At the art lecture someone asked if they should take subjects that correlate to the double degree they wish to transfer to (also arts/law) and the lecturer said no. He said we should pick what we enjoy then we would be more likely to get those higher marks needed for the transfer. I don't think subject choice matters in this instance.

The lecturer also said that arts/law was one of the most difficult degrees to transfer into so I would assume that many people would apply and few would get in. Not to sure on the exact numbers though

Yeah I did some reading after my response and it proves you are correct. Happy to be proven wrong in this case but yeah as said it is the case like VCE you should pick subjects you enjoy to get those high grades rather than choose ones you don't like.

It likely would be one of the hardest to transfer in due to its popularity in people doing law and doing the double to get another degree out of it. I guess the OP's best hope is to contact Monash and see if they are intaking any people at mid year this year around the May/June mark if not his best bet would be to wait until next year.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34