Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:57:28 am

Author Topic: "Abolish this VCE insanity"  (Read 6701 times)  Share 

hard

Re: "Abolish this VCE insanity"
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 11:19:04 pm »
Russia and China are the freakiest. bloody 10 year olds can solve simultaneous equations and other algebra in Russia.
yer i wouldn't expect every chinese or russian kid to be able to do such problems but they do beat us in overall performances so i guess we need to improve.

Thats just their cream of the crop. If you went to an average 10 yr olds classroom in china u wud find maybe 1 kid out of 10 classes who wud be able to do this. If we get the cream of OUR  crop we wud do equally as well.
and source from?

Common sense. Do you expect every 10 yr old u see in china to be able to do that?
I lived in an asian country and went to a school there up to grade 5 and i can tell you the school made me work my butt off before coming here and trust me, the kids i was in class were still pretty ordinary, just like us.

vce01

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 11:28:28 pm »
ahaha VCE is piss easy compared to where i used to study
ENTER - 96.00

2009: Commerce/Law @ ANU.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 11:30:07 pm »
I found VCE challenging... Too much study. XD

costargh

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 04:42:54 am »
Streaming classes is the answer!

(I dont know what the question was... just felt like expressing my approval of streamed classes)

I wish I didnt waste so many years in school doing the normal curriculum!

Sj

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:18 pm »
Let's face it-comparatively the VCE is NOT hard- and there's really not much other way of selecting people into a course.
For subjects like Medicine- the UMAT and an interview are used- and that weeds out numerous students who are not fit for the course. For things like Industrial design and fashion- similar methods are implemented. The fact is- that students NEED to be graded and examined- to determine whether they are fit to complete a course- in terms of achieving the necessary grades for success.
As opposed to other systems- the implementation of SACS makes the system less dependant upon one test. Most subjects in the VCE will be relatively useless for most people- as someone going into commerce is highly unlikely to use Chem. However, it assesses a students aptitude to succeed- relative to the rest of the state. There are some conceptaul problems to the system- however, for people to argue that we should abholish testing is ludicrous- as students are going to get a huge shock- when they enter the real world-as firms hire and fire individuals based on the targets and goals that you achieve, not how well you can play footy.

Athomas

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 12:43:09 am »
Of course VCE doesn't mean everything and is not a true reflection.

I did shit all this year to get my ENTER, but I know people who worked hard as to get like 60.

On the other hand, I'm sure many people who got 90+ worked hard as, and a few didn't work much at all.

2007: Software Development (40)
2008: English (35), Accounting (34), ITA (39), Legal (31), Methods CAS (24)
ENTER: 82.00
2009: BIT @ Swinburne (I Hope)

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

xox.happy1.xox

Richie63

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:52 am »
The article goes to great lengths to take down the VCE system, yet then provides no tangible answer! Compared to most, I would say the VCE is a pretty fair system. The more intelligent and hard-working students did better this year than those who were less intelligent or less hard-working...sure it's a lot of pressure, but in later life those who work harder and are more naturally gifted will be more 'classically' successful

If you have a problem...suggest a solution
VCE 2008

ENTER: 98.45

Literature [42--> 43.5], English [46-->46.2], French [37-->47.3], Chemistry [39-->43.5], Methods [37-->42.3] & Classical societies and cultures (2007) [37-->38.9]

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 09:10:59 am »
The article goes to great lengths to take down the VCE system, yet then provides no tangible answer! Compared to most, I would say the VCE is a pretty fair system. The more intelligent and hard-working students did better this year than those who were less intelligent or less hard-working...sure it's a lot of pressure, but in later life those who work harder and are more naturally gifted will be more 'classically' successful

If you have a problem...suggest a solution

+1