Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 07:32:58 am

Author Topic: 10,000 Word essay on Human Rights  (Read 4327 times)  Share 

misskaraleah

• Journalist Extraordinnaire
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I believe impossible is possible to overcome
  • Respect: +1
10,000 Word essay on Human Rights
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »
Just wondering if anyone is doing this for Outcome 2 at there school? Or if anyone had to do this for their Outcome 2 last year and has any pointers?

daniel99

Re: 10,000 Word essay on Human Rights
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:13:34 pm »
lol we did nothing like that. 10,000 words??????????????

elaine

• Business Management Moderator
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 04:18:13 pm »
Woahhh-10 000 words! Most of our essays have a limit of 1000 thank god
we had to do an issues oral, so no essay for outcome 2.

i feel sorry for the teacher who has to read all those essays on the same topic!
[♥]

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:36:25 pm »
That sounds awful. I'm not sure whether the VCE course already has it's own objectives regarding human rights, but I think you should explore the difference (and perhaps the evolution) between classical rights (Adam Smith, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, etc.) and modern human rights (often close to the heart of a 'liberal' in US-politics speak). The United Nations is an example of an institution that promotes modern human rights.

I believe in classical rights.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:38:21 pm by coblin »

applekid

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:36 pm »
no that is terrible/insane.
you wont need to do anything like that on exam for one, which is essentially what sacs are supposed to prepare you for. (right??)

jcc

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:53:59 pm »
Are you completely sure that you're required to do 10,000 words? That's the length of a short thesis... It's certainly something that couldn't be expected at VCE level - and I note that you go to Cranbourne Secondary... seems especially weird for such high demands there, considering the general academic ability of the students would mean that most wouldn't be able to do it.

Anyway, the legal studies it isn't really about human rights per se, but rather how human and democratic rights are protected (and if I remember correctly, it's really only to be done in the context of comparing with another country). The human rights that are enumerated within the constitution are of particular focus. So, I'd talk about the different rights which the constitution protects and also how those rights are limited:

s7 & 24 - Right to vote - Limited because it doesn't explicitly give people the right to vote, rather it says that the HoR & Senate will be made up of representatives of the people of Australia. In the past, dark colored people have been deemed not to be the people of Australia and thus they were unable to vote.
s80 - Trial By Jury for Indictable Offences - Limited because if the Commonwealth Parliament wished to bypass this requirement, they could simply deem an offence to be summary, rather than indictable.
s116 - Freedom of Religion - Isn't great protection because it only applies to the Commonwealth.
s51(xxxi) - Acquisition of Property - Provides that property may only be acquired on 'just terms' (in other words, just compensation must be paid)

There's a couple of other sections, such as s117 and s92 which could be used... but they're not really preferable. I'd probably also talk about the implied right to freedom of speech which is demonstrated in Australian Capital Television v Commonwealth. You could also refer to some case law, such as Dietrich v The Queen and even some statutory protection of human/democratic rights such as the Anti-Discrimination Act 1998.

Hope that's of some help!

Odette

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
10,000 words like omg you poor thing >.<

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:30 pm »
10,000 words....that's like a mini PhD thesis LOL.

You school must be kidding, I could never do 10,000 in vce. Never.

Good luck :)

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 08:33:24 pm »
10,000 word essay is against Human Rights. Write an essay about it.

misskaraleah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:09 pm »
lol we did nothing like that. 10,000 words??????????????

Yes well he basically stated that their was no word limit and that high ranging students usually produced work between 6,000 and 10,000 words. Im aiming for that because i want to do the as best as i possibly can.

And yes its on the Human Rights within Australia, in comparison for another country, so im going to begin with the background with Human Rights within the world, and start from there :P

I note that you go to Cranbourne Secondary... seems especially weird for such high demands there, considering the general academic ability of the students would mean that most wouldn't be able to do it.

As stated before, its between 6,000 and 10,000 to recieve a decent pass score, so im definatlet going to try and achieve it :)

Yeah i understand what you mean when you say that you dont think that many people at my school could produce work like that. Nothing against my school- or people who live in my suburb- but i agree with your point.  My teacher explained that to recieve a high mark on this SAC, you will need to be VERY organised, hence this is why im preparing earlier.

Im not too worried about it and i was originally setting my plan out similar to the help you provided, so thanks.

Lets see if i can do it :P

brendan

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18:05 pm »
'Is welfare a basic human right?' by Milton Friedman (Newsweek, 18/12/1972)

In a recent Newsweek column on poverty, Shana Alexander wrote, “Access to food, clothing, shelter, and medical care is a basic human right.”
    The heart approves Ms. Alexander’s humanitarian concern, but the head warns that her statement admits of two very different meanings, one that is consistent with a free society, and one that is not.
    One meaning is that everyone should be free to use his human capacities to acquire food, clothing, shelter, and medical care by either direct production or voluntary cooperation with others. This meaning is the essence of a free society organized through voluntary cooperation…
    But this is not Ms. Alexander’s meaning, as is clear from her next sentence: “When lawmakers attempt to convert welfare into workfare…this is less conversion than perversion of that basic idea.”
    Ms. Alexander apparently believes that you and I have a “basic human right” to food, clothing, shelter, and medical care without a quid pro quo. That is a very different matter. If I have the “right” to food in this sense, someone must have the obligation to provide it. Just who is that? If it is Ms. Alexander, does that not convert her into my slave? Nothing is changed by assigning the “right” to the “poor.” Their “right” is meaningless unless it is combined with the power to force others to provide the goods to which Ms. Alexander believes they are entitled.
    This is clearly unacceptable. But neither can we rely solely on the “right to access” in the first sense. Protecting that right fully would reduce poverty and destitution drastically. But there would still remain people who, through no fault of their own, because of accidents of birth, or illness, or whatever, were unable to earn what the rest of us would regard as an acceptable income. I believe the best, though admittedly imperfect, solution for such residual hardship would be voluntary action on the part of the rest of us to assist our less fortunate brethren.
    But our problem is far more serious. Restrictions on access in the first sense, plus ill-conceived welfare measures, have made millions of people dependent on government for their most elementary needs. It was a mistake to have permitted this situation to develop. But it has developed, and we cannot simply wipe the slate clean. We must develop transition programs that eliminate the welfare mess without unconscionable hardship to present welfare recipients.
    That is why, for three decades, I have urged the replacement of our present collection of so-called poverty programs by a negative income tax that would guarantee a minimum to everyone and would encourage recipients to become self-supporting.
    I favour a negative income tax not because I believe anyone has a “right” to be fed, clothed, and housed at someone else’s expense but because I want to join my fellow taxpayers in relieving distress and feel a special compulsion to do so because governmental policies have been responsible for putting so many of our fellow citizens in the demeaning position in which they now find themselves.

costargh

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 11:10:02 pm »
I doubt you would need anywhere near 6000 words to get a "decent pass score". I think your teacher is talking out of his arse. For an essay like that you would end up repeating yourself so much that it would look funny.
Quality > Quantity

If you have a Criteria sheet scan it or something so I can take a look at it and give you pointers =)

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 11:34:42 pm »
10,000 words :O, thats phenomenal especially at VCE level. And as Costa said, quality > quantity, so don't get to preoccupied about getting as much words as you can possibly get.
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

jess3254

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 11:37:06 am »
10 thousand words is a stupid expectation... that's like the length of my sister's masters thesis. In first year university, most subjects require 3,000 word essays....

We did 'extended essays' in IB (5,000 words long), and I found them terribly difficult. (Actually, I found it harder to stay within the word limit.) If you're really considering writing an essay that long, you need to use LOTS of resources (not just the age, google or your text book.) I can send you all the research sites we were told to look at in IB, (such as Jstor, echohost etc), and some articles which explain how to structure these essays. Let me know if you'd like me to send you them :)

Good luck...

misskaraleah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:51 pm »
'Is welfare a basic human right?' by Milton Friedman (Newsweek, 18/12/1972)

In a recent Newsweek column on poverty, Shana Alexander wrote, “Access to food, clothing, shelter, and medical care is a basic human right.”
    The heart approves Ms. Alexander’s humanitarian concern, but the head warns that her statement admits of two very different meanings, one that is consistent with a free society, and one that is not.
    One meaning is that everyone should be free to use his human capacities to acquire food, clothing, shelter, and medical care by either direct production or voluntary cooperation with others. This meaning is the essence of a free society organized through voluntary cooperation…
    But this is not Ms. Alexander’s meaning, as is clear from her next sentence: “When lawmakers attempt to convert welfare into workfare…this is less conversion than perversion of that basic idea.”
    Ms. Alexander apparently believes that you and I have a “basic human right” to food, clothing, shelter, and medical care without a quid pro quo. That is a very different matter. If I have the “right” to food in this sense, someone must have the obligation to provide it. Just who is that? If it is Ms. Alexander, does that not convert her into my slave? Nothing is changed by assigning the “right” to the “poor.” Their “right” is meaningless unless it is combined with the power to force others to provide the goods to which Ms. Alexander believes they are entitled.
    This is clearly unacceptable. But neither can we rely solely on the “right to access” in the first sense. Protecting that right fully would reduce poverty and destitution drastically. But there would still remain people who, through no fault of their own, because of accidents of birth, or illness, or whatever, were unable to earn what the rest of us would regard as an acceptable income. I believe the best, though admittedly imperfect, solution for such residual hardship would be voluntary action on the part of the rest of us to assist our less fortunate brethren.
    But our problem is far more serious. Restrictions on access in the first sense, plus ill-conceived welfare measures, have made millions of people dependent on government for their most elementary needs. It was a mistake to have permitted this situation to develop. But it has developed, and we cannot simply wipe the slate clean. We must develop transition programs that eliminate the welfare mess without unconscionable hardship to present welfare recipients.
    That is why, for three decades, I have urged the replacement of our present collection of so-called poverty programs by a negative income tax that would guarantee a minimum to everyone and would encourage recipients to become self-supporting.
    I favour a negative income tax not because I believe anyone has a “right” to be fed, clothed, and housed at someone else’s expense but because I want to join my fellow taxpayers in relieving distress and feel a special compulsion to do so because governmental policies have been responsible for putting so many of our fellow citizens in the demeaning position in which they now find themselves.

Great Resource. I'll make note of it :)

If you have a Criteria sheet scan it or something so I can take a look at it and give you pointers =)

I will post it up as soon as i can :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:09:26 pm by misskaraleah »