Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 10:33:41 pm

Author Topic: 10,000 Word essay on Human Rights  (Read 4339 times)  Share 

misskaraleah

• Journalist Extraordinnaire
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I believe impossible is possible to overcome
  • Respect: +1
Re: 10,000 Word essay on Human Rights
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 07:35:46 pm »
If you have a Criteria sheet scan it or something so I can take a look at it and give you pointers =)

Sorry about the late reply costargh- ive been busy doing the first half of the essay :p. I think im coping pretty well with it, but i'd thought i'd upload the criteria sheet for you anyway.

ElephantStew

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:50 pm »
geez...10,000 words...and i thought my uni history essay of 3000 words was bad :S
2007:
International Studies (37)

2008:
Eng Lang
Latin
Legal
Methods
Revolutions
Monash Enhancement Study - History

2009:
BA (Bachelor of Awesomeness) @ The University of Melbourne

costargh

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:28:25 pm »
Ok So you basically have 4 questions or areas of discussion to get through.

I strongly advise against trying to reach the 10,000 word recommendation. I doubt your teacher has ever received that sort of essay and to be quite honest to write 2500 on each of those areas of discussion is absurd.

I think you can get a very good mark (full marks) by writing maximum 1000 words on each. (2000 words on the "evaluate" question because it is worth twice the marks. If you are content with say, an "A" you could do so with 500 words for each answer and 1000 words for the last one.

I have some notes on those areas you are covering on my computer so if you want add me on msn and Ill send them to you.

Just a general advisory note, (you probably already know this) but when it says Compare and Evaluate you much look at both sides of the discussion.

Eg. Evaluation of the effectiveness of the Commonwealth Constitution in protecting democratic and human rights.

Look at how effective the Constitution is in protecting democratic and human rights and also look at areas that it isn't effective in protecting.

misskaraleah

• Journalist Extraordinnaire
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I believe impossible is possible to overcome
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 06:29:09 pm »
Thanks for that :D Im about a quarter of the way into the second section of the essay regarding protection of human rights in another country (my selection UK), and i've clocked up around 4,000. I've had him check the first half and he's saying i tend to 'waffle', but says its fine.

Ill PM you with my msn.

Thanks again  :) :) :)

applekid

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »
i think its better to be concise and succint rather than targeting a specific word limit to begin with.
(and if you feel the need to flesh it out, you can do so later)
thats the most craziest sac i have ever seen.  ... there isn't really even an essay question? your teacher may as well ask you to summarise the textbook.

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 03:45:15 pm »
i think its better to be concise and succint rather than targeting a specific word limit to begin with.
I was going to say the same thing. If your teacher says you tend to waffle, I'd go back over it to make it more succinct.  Plus, if I was your teacher, I'd definitely rather read shorter concise paragraphs, than receive an essay with super long paragraphs (i.e. just a block of text).

Anyway, based on the criteria sheet, and the lack of an actual topic, it does seem that you can be quite broad, and there's a lot to write about.

One tip I have, is to make sure you mention relevant section numbers of the Constitution (e.g. mention section 128 when discussing the referendum). I'd also talk about how although Australia only has five entrenched rights (compared to however many the country you're comparing it to has, rights are protected by ordinary legislation, etc. = effectiveness of not having a bill or rights vs. having a bill of rights)