Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:12:51 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3621788 times)  Share 

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12870 on: August 19, 2020, 06:31:07 pm »
Thanks
Also for this question what is a food vacuole and explain how the food vacuole digests the yeast
- a food vacuole is an organelle that allows the paramecium to digest food

I’m not sure for the second part of the question is it by phagocytosis

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #12871 on: August 19, 2020, 06:54:13 pm »
+8
Thanks
Also for this question what is a food vacuole and explain how the food vacuole digests the yeast
- a food vacuole is an organelle that allows the paramecium to digest food

I’m not sure for the second part of the question is it by phagocytosis
Phagocytosis generally involves a cell engulfing something else. Food vacuoles contain digestive enzymes which breakdown the yeast.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

v.l.o.n.e.

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12872 on: August 20, 2020, 08:58:56 pm »
Hey guys, does anyone know if sterols are included in the study design (it doesn't seem to outline them in any of the points but I just want to make sure)? Just asking bc they're included in the textbook and idk if it's just extra information

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #12873 on: August 20, 2020, 10:06:58 pm »
+4
Hey guys, does anyone know if sterols are included in the study design (it doesn't seem to outline them in any of the points but I just want to make sure)? Just asking bc they're included in the textbook and idk if it's just extra information
Most things in textbooks are supplementary information to aid in understanding or to provide examples. I have never heard of sterols before or any question explicitly testing knowledge on sterols, so yes, I would assume it is not part of our syllabus.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12874 on: August 20, 2020, 11:27:39 pm »
I need help with this question

Lichen may reproduce asexually forming propagules called sorendia. Sorendia can spread by wind and rain and contain both fungal spores and photobionts(alga or Cyanobacterium) why is it an advantage to contain both symbionts?

Would the advantage be its easier for them to reproduce

Oynx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12875 on: August 20, 2020, 11:39:54 pm »
+4

Lichen may reproduce asexually forming propagules called sorendia. Sorendia can spread by wind and rain and contain both fungal spores and photobionts(alga or Cyanobacterium) why is it an advantage to contain both symbionts?

Would the advantage be its easier for them to reproduce

Yes, as an advantage for asexual reproduction is the ability to reproduce really quickly, populate ecosystems rapidly.
2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #12876 on: August 22, 2020, 09:06:19 am »
What is the difference between structural changes and functional changes and cognitive changes for major trends in hominid evolution from genus Australopithecus to genus Homo.

Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #12877 on: August 22, 2020, 09:55:58 am »
+6
Hello.
Structural changes: These include bodily changes that occur when they evolve. Examples include a relatively larger brain size, more centred foramen magnum (linked to bipedalism)

Functional changes: These are relating to their activities and culture. Examples include evidence of burial rites, organisational society, cave art, manipulation of tools

Cognitive changes: These are to do with thought processes and capabilities. Examples include higher order thinking and increased problem solving skills.

The above interrelate . Eg: bipedalism (structural) allowed for the hands to be freed allowing for manipulation of tools (functional)

Please correct me if I'm wrong! (It's been a while since I did Biology so I'm a bit rusty)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:47:23 am by Evolio »

ABB0005

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12878 on: August 22, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »
6O2 + C6H12O6 + 36ADP + 36Pi → 6CO2 + 6H2O + 36ATP
Is equation for cellular respiration accepted by VCAA if not would this one suffice C6H12O6 + 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O+36-38ATP

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12879 on: August 22, 2020, 07:09:11 pm »
+1
The equation for cellular respiration is C6H12O6 +6O2—-> 6CO2 + 6H20 + 36-38 ATP  I’m not sure if the other one would be accepted

For this question
Why have sharks, tuna, ichthyosaurs and dolphins all evolved a streamlined body shape
Would this be a sufficient answer
- They have evolved the same adaptation due to selective pressures in similar environments

Mod edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:30:25 pm by Bri MT »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12880 on: August 24, 2020, 08:42:00 am »
+5
For this question
Why have sharks, tuna, ichthyosaurs and dolphins all evolved a streamlined body shape
Would this be a sufficient answer
- They have evolved the same adaptation due to [similar] selective pressures from similar environments
Yeah, that's perfect! (If this was more than one mark, you could toss in the word 'convergent evolution' or 'analogous structures' too), but this is concise and correct!

6O2 + C6H12O6 + 36ADP + 36Pi → 6CO2 + 6H2O + 36ATP
Is equation for cellular respiration accepted by VCAA if not would this one suffice C6H12O6 + 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O+36-38ATP
I would think both would be accepted, but it's probably easier and safer to just remember the one that Chocolatepistachio suggested.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #12881 on: August 24, 2020, 08:24:18 pm »
In terms of microevolution; what exactly does a change in frequency of alleles in a population mean??????
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #12882 on: August 24, 2020, 08:44:45 pm »
+3
In terms of microevolution; what exactly does a change in frequency of alleles in a population mean??????

Change in frequency of alleles refers to the change in the combination of all genotypes in a population or the gene pool. For example take the Drosophila melanogaster (the common fruit fly) it has a well known mutation that causes vestigial wings (recessive allele - vg). Since this is a recessive allele for a vestigial winged phenotype possible alleles are vgvg. And the normal phenotype is known as the wild type (dominant allele - vg+) .: possible genotypes are vg+vg+ or vg+vg. Wing flapping is an important part of being able to secure a mate. Vestigial flies may not be able to undergo mating rituals therefore it may not pass on its alleles to next generation.

The point is so if we complete an experiment where we have 10 vestigial wing flies (vgvg) and 10 wild type pure bred (vg+vg+) the allele frequency of vg would decrease over time (at a selective disadvantage), till the wild type phenotype becomes fixed, but they may be vg+vg or vg+vg+. So because vestigial winged phenotype is selected against, the allele frequency of vg would decrease and the allele frequency of vg+ would increase.

Or another way of thinking about it is, say we have population A in a field and population B over the hill (of the same species). If we let them interbreed there would be an exchange of alleles between the 2 populations. Hence, the allele frequencies in each population would change due to gene flow. A new allele may be introduced or an allele may increase in frequency or decrease.

Hope that made sense.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 08:51:04 pm by SmartWorker »
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12883 on: August 24, 2020, 08:53:53 pm »
+4

It's like how mutations over a short period of time cause some change in the populations but only a little and not enough to cause it to become a different species. Like for example, people in different parts of the world have slightly different appearances due to like random changes or perhaps some selective pressures.
An example of a change in frequency of alleles would be like the blue eye allele having a frequency of 0.4 and then decreasing to 0.2 (through genetic drift or gene flow or natural selection). This would mean a decrease in the amount of blue eyed people.

I hope that answers your question? 

Edit: I was beaten hehe
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12884 on: August 24, 2020, 08:58:27 pm »
In some patients HIV infection can progress to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome(AIDS) this occurs in a step wise progression.
Place these steps in the correct order

- Immunodeficiency develops as exemplified in patients with Aids
-  HIV infects CD4+ cells
- The number of CD4+ cells in the blood decreases
- Humoral and cell mediated immune responses not activated

I thought it was first HIV infects cd4+ cells , then humoral and cell mediated immune responses activated , number of cd4+ cells in the blood decreases, immunodeficiency develops