Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 07:45:28 am

Author Topic: Uni Choices  (Read 604 times)  Share 

levfre81

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Uni Choices
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »
Firstly, I just received an atar of 94.30. I want to do Commerce/Law at Monash for 98.00. I'm assuming that I wont get that course so I'm trying to make contingency plans. They are as follows:

1. Do commerce at monash for 1 year and then transfer into comm/law at monash.

2. Do commerce at melbourne and then transfer into comm/law at monash.

The questions I have are:
-Is monash or melbourne better for commerce (as in getting jobs after uni)?
-Which uni will give me the greatest chance of transferring into law?
-Will that one year I study at melbourne commerce count towards commerce at monash (essentially, would I waist a year at melbourne if I transfer to monash)?

Thanks in advance.

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
Re: Uni Choices
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:04:59 am »
Hey, I'm sure there are others who can answer your questions better but b.c you have no bites:
I think both monash and melb uni grads are very employable but you will find that your resume (work exp, demonstration of leadership, internships etc) will play a big role in getting jobs.
If you want to do post grad commerce it will not matter what school you went to as much as what grades you got.
You can apply for credit transfer if you studied equivalent subjects at unimelb. I think you'll be fine b.c you definitely do similar subjects like microeconomics at both schools 1st year.
Hope that helps
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Uni Choices
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:16 pm »
1. As stated above, the university won't be as big a help as vacation work, extracurriculars, etc.
I've also heard that having some form of maths in your degree looks good, at which point Melbourne's Diploma of Maths may be more advantageous than a double degree from Monash.

2. Monash - internal transfers are always easier than external, as a general rule.

3. Most of the units should transfer over, however there's no guarantee that all of them will. Most first year (regardless of the degree) units are very similar between universities, particularly Go8s.