Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 07:55:54 pm

Author Topic: General Footy Tipping and Discussion Thread  (Read 266805 times)

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
Re: ATAR Notes Footy Tipping and Discussion
« Reply #765 on: July 30, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »
+2
Sweet.

Yeah, that loss sucks. If there is a God, he really is cruel to Melbourne supporters...

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #766 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:08 pm »
+1
Yeah, that loss sucks. If there is a God, he really is cruel to Melbourne supporters...

2007: 5-0-17
2008: 3-0-19
2009: 4-0-18
2010: 8-1-13
2011: 8-1-13
2012: 4-0-18
2013: 2-0-20
2014: 4-0-18
2015: 7-0-15
2016: 10-0-12

Good times.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #767 on: July 30, 2017, 02:42:20 pm »
+2
2007: 5-0-17
2008: 3-0-19
2009: 4-0-18
2010: 8-1-13
2011: 8-1-13
2012: 4-0-18
2013: 2-0-20
2014: 4-0-18
2015: 7-0-15
2016: 10-0-12

Good times.

Overall 55-2-153.

A fun decade!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #768 on: July 30, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
Lol surely Collingwood isnt going to give up that massive lead they gained in the first half to now lose...

Edit: Close. Close. Close.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:57:43 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #769 on: July 30, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »
Absolutely heart broken. 50 point lead. McGovern marked it with legit 0.20 seconds to go. Even the commentators called that Adelaide would never be able to get back 5 mins into the 3rd quarter  :'( :'( :'(.

Oh well, what a game of footy. Every week is so exciting this season, can't imagine how the finals will be like.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #770 on: July 30, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »
+1
Absolutely heart broken. 50 point lead. McGovern marked it with legit 0.20 seconds to go. Even the commentators called that Adelaide would never be able to get back 5 mins into the 3rd quarter  :'( :'( :'(.

Oh well, what a game of footy. Every week is so exciting this season, can't imagine how the finals will be like.

Well, you still got 2 points. Better than 0.

See you next week :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #771 on: July 30, 2017, 06:23:36 pm »
Well, you still got 2 points. Better than 0.

See you next week :)
13th vs 16th.

I reckon if you guys play like how you did against Essendon and Melbourne you will win. If we play like how we did today it will get really close.

Going to be there on Saturday, my first game since that shocker we had against Carlton. Really excited!
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #772 on: August 01, 2017, 06:24:45 pm »
Thoughts on the Dangerfield suspension?

Personally, I think he was pretty unlucky (and I'm not a Cats fan). It was definitely an unfortunate incident but I'm not convinced he really did anything wrong - he didn't sling or lift Kreuzer. I thought it was pretty much the perfect tackle really - pinned the arms and, to be fair, you have to be pretty forceful to try and bring someone like Kreuzer down.

If will certainly be a bit awkward if he polls the most votes now... and then has to go up and hand over the medal to someone else (probs Martin)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #773 on: August 01, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »
+1
It was, at least, consistent with previous MRP decisions.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #774 on: August 01, 2017, 06:42:01 pm »
+1
It was, at least, consistent with previous MRP decisions.

True. Although I though Mumford's tackle on Libba earlier in the year was quite similar, and that got nothing. But you're right, there have also been similar ones that have copped weeks.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #775 on: August 01, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »
+1
True. Although I though Mumford's tackle on Libba earlier in the year was quite similar, and that got nothing. But you're right, there have also been similar ones that have copped weeks.

Hutchy was essentially arguing that Danger should get off because he's in Brownlow contention. Such an absurd concept.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #776 on: August 04, 2017, 07:40:47 pm »
+1
Lots of talk about no Dangerfield tonight but surely Kennedy is just as big a loss.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:14:34 pm by Joseph41 »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #777 on: August 04, 2017, 11:11:40 pm »
Thoughts on the Dangerfield suspension?

Personally, I think he was pretty unlucky (and I'm not a Cats fan). It was definitely an unfortunate incident but I'm not convinced he really did anything wrong - he didn't sling or lift Kreuzer. I thought it was pretty much the perfect tackle really - pinned the arms and, to be fair, you have to be pretty forceful to try and bring someone like Kreuzer down.

If will certainly be a bit awkward if he polls the most votes now... and then has to go up and hand over the medal to someone else (probs Martin)

He definitely needed a week for what he did, particularly with the focus by the AFL on the protecting players from head injury. However, the point of the Brownlow is to celebrate the player who is the best and the fairest. We know that "best" is determined by votes from the umpires; however, fairness is determined by the absence of suspension during the year. The idea that Dangerfield should be excluded because he fails to reach the "fairness" criterion of the Brownlow is a farce. He's a class act on and off the field, and a mistake such as his tackle against Kreuzer should not be conflated with the idea that he's an unfair player.

As most of you know, I'm a Richmond supporter and understand that Dustin Martin will probably benefit from this (if he doesn't manage to get suspended in the next few weeks). In spite of that, I was devastated for Danger. He's better than Martin and deserved to win the Brownlow again this year.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #778 on: August 05, 2017, 10:51:25 am »
+1
Hutchy was essentially arguing that Danger should get off because he's in Brownlow contention. Such an absurd concept.
Only quoting this post but I'm quoting the entire discussion, really.

Dangerfield suspension is a POS. Definitely consistent which I suppose is a good thing but, in my view, consistently wrong. I.e., the Jarrad Waite tackle? Like, I see where they are coming from but as Tim said, when you look at Dangerfield's tackle, that's exactly how you would coach a junior.

If he got up without a concussion no one would have looked twice - very frustrating. Protecting the head is important- so legislate things that prevent head injuries. A legal tackle can be dangerous. Either make that sentence untrue, or stop suspending tackles like Dangerfield's imo.

Regarding the absurdity - it's an interesting thought, because is a week a week a week? Is getting suspended for a Grand Final the same as getting suspended for Round 2? If we consider suspensions as punishments, then the "same" punishment can actually be disproportionate to the action depending on the context. Has Dangerfield been punished more than Jarrad Waite? Maybe not. BUT if we were a round before finals, I'd say he would have been. So it's interesting - I think a lot of football people have that intuition that they'd rather a player get off instead of miss finals or lose Brownlow contention.

Judges can consider contexts around sentencing and punishment in legal cases, so I wonder if it's inappropriate in football.

As Vox said--- perhaps something is flawed about the Brownlow when Dangerfield is ruled out for being not the fairest player. Seems totally inaccurate.

*disclaimer, I am not sure how much I believe literally anything I just said*
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #779 on: August 05, 2017, 05:23:45 pm »
+1
North Melb vs. North Melb's recycling (Wells & Greenwood)

Tonight 7:25  ::)

(same can be said for Marley Williams to North, but whatevz :P)

GL Rod

did I forget anyone else who moved to Collingwood from North?