Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 04:40:48 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1241109 times)

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4155 on: October 15, 2018, 03:28:10 pm »
+2
How many concepts should an essay have? Urgent reply please!!!!!1 I need help!!!!!!
2, 3 for mod B since there is only 1 text
heya, It depends on how you structure your essays. If you do integrated essays (both texts in each paragraph), you would probably do three concepts. Otherwise, if you analysed by text, then two concepts would be better.
Heya
“Life is too short to be spent in nursing animosity, or registering wrongs”
Idiom?? Or tone? Maybe euphemism?
“her feminism thought starts to sprout from her fighting her poor child life”
Imagery/metaphor maybe

Mod edit: Merged posts. Please use the modify button in future.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:07:55 pm by Calebark »
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4156 on: October 15, 2018, 09:47:01 pm »
hello!
I was having a look at last years paper and I'm confused as to what "different audiences" mean? what am I supposed to talk about?

How is the portrayal of leadership presented for different audiences in Metropolis and
Nineteen Eighty-Four?

thank you

also with the 2015 paper, am I supposed to have one whole paragraph on just the 1984 quote and one whole paragraph on the metropolis image, or can they be another example I place at the beginning of my paragraphs?

"An exploration of intertextual perspectives reveals the relationship between context and key values.
Discuss this view with detailed reference to the extracts below and your pair of prescribed texts.
‘Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.’
(from Nineteen Eighty-Four)"

so my question is, if they ever give a quote or an extract from one of the texts does that have to have its own paragraph or am I supposed to constantly refer to that extract throughout my whole essay or can it just be another of my examples?

thank you 

Mod Edit: Post merge, use the Modify button! :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:08:36 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4157 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:42 pm »
Perhaps this is a silly question, but in the Comprehension section of Paper 1, for the last question which typically asks for an evaluation of 2 texts which we have already answered questions on prior on to that last question, can we re-use quotes/techniques we used to answer the previous questions? I'm always scared I'll lose marks if I re-use the same quote that the marker just marked and try to find different ones but this usually makes me spend like 50 minutes just on short-answers smh.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4158 on: October 15, 2018, 11:40:35 pm »
Perhaps this is a silly question, but in the Comprehension section of Paper 1, for the last question which typically asks for an evaluation of 2 texts which we have already answered questions on prior on to that last question, can we re-use quotes/techniques we used to answer the previous questions? I'm always scared I'll lose marks if I re-use the same quote that the marker just marked and try to find different ones but this usually makes me spend like 50 minutes just on short-answers smh.

hey have a read of this as I also asked that same question couple days ago :)

Hello!
I just a had quick question

For paper1, section 1, the last question (either 5/6 marks) can you copy the same quotes, techniques, analysis and exactly what you wrote for the same text in the previous question (I mean like if you choose to do text 1 and 2 for the last question, can you copy your responses to those questions in the last question?)  but just chuck in some words for the question with the analysis. Or do you have to come up with something completely new?
thank you

Hey there,
You can definitely use your analyses from the previous questions and use them in the last question.

sorry 2 more questions;

1) is this correct the correct structure for the 5/6 marker?
intro with your take on the question and introduce both your texts.
body 1 on first text with 3x[technique, quote, analysis, link to question]
body 2 on second text with 3x[technique, quote, analysis, link to question]

2) I heard from past students that for the short answer section of paper 1, our topic sentence/approach the question can be a sentence from the rubric with some words from the question combined. And they also said that our topic sentences for our essay can also be a statement from the rubric. is this true?

Hey, 3.14159265359.

1) There is no "correct" way in structuring your response; keep in mind that your focus should be on how the specific concept of discovery is highlighted in the two/three/how ever many texts of your choosing! :)

Structurally, I would say that seems like a good amount for a 5/6 marker but you should never forget the premise of the question when you're answering it! :)

2) I would personally avoid restating parts of the rubric, and that's mainly because it doesn't add a lot of insight into your discussion. Time is limited, so you need to make as much use of your time as you can! Instead of reframing a phrase from the rubric, use your own insight about discovery and draw some discussion into the question! That way, you're hitting all of the main areas of the question.

Good luck with English on Thursday! :)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4159 on: October 15, 2018, 11:50:17 pm »
hey have a read of this as I also asked that same question couple days ago :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4160 on: October 15, 2018, 11:51:18 pm »
+1
hello!
I was having a look at last years paper and I'm confused as to what "different audiences" mean? what am I supposed to talk about?

How is the portrayal of leadership presented for different audiences in Metropolis and
Nineteen Eighty-Four?

thank you
Hey there,
'Different audiences' refers to the different context. Essentially, the question is asking you how has the texts responded to their differing context in relation to the portrayal of leadership?

also with the 2015 paper, am I supposed to have one whole paragraph on just the 1984 quote and one whole paragraph on the metropolis image, or can they be another example I place at the beginning of my paragraphs?

"An exploration of intertextual perspectives reveals the relationship between context and key values.
Discuss this view with detailed reference to the extracts below and your pair of prescribed texts.
‘Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.’
(from Nineteen Eighty-Four)"

so my question is, if they ever give a quote or an extract from one of the texts does that have to have its own paragraph or am I supposed to constantly refer to that extract throughout my whole essay or can it just be another of my examples?

thank you 

Mod Edit: Post merge, use the Modify button! :)
I don't think you need to consistently refer to the extract throughout the essay but it would be good to slip it in your paragraph more than once. I would suggest using it as part of your textual evidence in one of the paragraphs but include the extract again when comparing/contrasting it with another piece of textual evidence. So, say you're re-using the Metropolis extract and you're talking about 1984, after discussing a quote from 1984 you could say, "Similarly/Contrastingly, Metropolis..." so you could show a clear connection between the two texts- if that makes sense.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:21:00 am by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4161 on: October 16, 2018, 12:30:11 am »
Hey there,
'Different audiences' refers to the different context. Essentially, the question is asking you how has the texts responded to their differing context in relation to the portrayal of leadership?
Hope this helps!

so basically I talk about power and control in my essay right? so they were basically being extra and want me to talk about power and control and how its different/same in both texts due to their context? right?

danaodish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4162 on: October 16, 2018, 02:20:55 am »
For module B, can they respecify speeches they've specified in the past? I tried looking through pass papers, even those with other set texts, and couldn't find any time that they've specified it twice.

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4163 on: October 16, 2018, 02:39:55 am »
Heyy,

For Mod B, if i'm doing speeches, it it advisable to discuss 3 poems and thus have 3 body paragraphs? For trials i only wrote about 2 poems and had 2 body paragraphs for each poem. I'm not sure which way is better, my teacher's didn't really discuss this.

Also, for the comprehension 5/6 marker, do we need to compare and contrast the texts we use?

Thanks!!!

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4164 on: October 16, 2018, 10:28:06 am »
hey guys,

for my mod c essay - i have two quotes in one of my paragraphs, should that be okay?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4165 on: October 16, 2018, 10:50:40 am »
+1
For module B, can they respecify speeches they've specified in the past? I tried looking through pass papers, even those with other set texts, and couldn't find any time that they've specified it twice.

I highly doubt they would respecify any texts unless they've specified all of  them at least once and decide "hey, why not?" It would be wise to have two or three quotes from each just in case they do but it is unlikely if we look at it logically  ;D

Heyy,

For Mod B, if i'm doing speeches, it it advisable to discuss 3 poems and thus have 3 body paragraphs? For trials i only wrote about 2 poems and had 2 body paragraphs for each poem. I'm not sure which way is better, my teacher's didn't really discuss this.

Also, for the comprehension 5/6 marker, do we need to compare and contrast the texts we use?

Thanks!!!

I'm not doing speeches for Module B but I would structure it however works best for you. If you performed well with the structure you did for Trials, you should be good to go! In case they do ask for a specific one that you haven't covered, for whatever reason, prepare some quotes for those.  :)

hey guys,

for my mod c essay - i have two quotes in one of my paragraphs, should that be okay?

That should be good so long as you make sure you assign techniques to those quotes  ;)

Good luck with your exams, everyone!  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4166 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:03 am »
+1
Heya, depends if they are banger quotes. You just want to balance out the amount analysis with textual evidence and vice versa but don't stress if you only have two in one paragraph. Ideally you would want three maybe four but if you can analyse the hell out of those quotes then it should be fine, or at least I would say. I hope this put your mind at ease.
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4167 on: October 16, 2018, 10:55:34 am »
hey guys,

my teacher always said that as long as there is enough evidence and at least 5 techniques it would be fine... remember you can also paraphrase...

ATB!
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4168 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:37 am »
+1
hey guys,

As long as you have a frame on representation. Its about overall compositional choices eg setting, character, etc - what purpose do they serve in terms of people and politics/landscapes?
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4169 on: October 16, 2018, 12:30:04 pm »
Hi I was wondering if I could get feedback on this thesis and whether or not it is too obscure in answering the question.

Q: To what extent do the texts you have studied reveal discoveries may be re-assessed over time?

A: It is not simply discoveries whose worth may be re-assessed over time, as discoveries themselves may provoke individuals to re-assess their beliefs regarding their identity, values and transformative introspection. As such, an individual's experiences and interactions with others in a new landscape may stimulate such reconsideration.
ARTEXPRESS 2019