Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:40:28 pm

Author Topic: Thoughts on repeating one of my year 12 classes?  (Read 826 times)

miabrown

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Bradfield Senior College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Thoughts on repeating one of my year 12 classes?
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:40:46 pm »
Hello,
I am doing my second year of HSC pathways. In 2016 I completed: ancient history, english standard, information digital tech (tafe course) and history extension and this year I will be doing legal studies and modern history. I am aiming for an ATAR of 92 which I know is not possible with the marks I got for my courses last year. Ancient history was my worst subject (despite it being the one I'm most interested in), should I repeat it in order to get better marks this time around? I know I could just do a bridging course at university but because I'm doing pathways I'm already a year behind my peers.
Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Thoughts on repeating one of my year 12 classes?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 06:54:39 pm »
So your situation is that you split up your HSC into two years (pathways), and you're about to commence the second year but you want to repeat a course in this second year?

Provided there is no reason for your performance in legal or modern to be hindered, I'd say yes. 4 units is not much and in general, there is no severe problem with going up from 4 units to 6 units in your final year of schooling. If you feel that the second time you approach ancient, having been there once and now know exactly what to expect and how to go about it, you can do better, then I believe this is a good choice.

That being said, this is all worth it provided the second time round you're expecting improvement. If, for some reason, it does not play out, then stick to the 4 units only. Otherwise, hey, sure why not get the better marks

Chemystery

• Forum Regular
  • Caity x
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:36:44 pm »
I'm undergoing the same compressed curriculum that you are Mia! I believe wholeheartedly you'd repeat and I'd do the same if I had the option to (got 76 in chem and wish I could repeat it but it only runs once a year)

Particularly since you find interesting, I believe you should definitely give it another go as long as your subjects this year won't be too pressuring!
As a vote of confidence, always remember to apply for as many bonus points as eligible for when the time comes - it will really lessen the pressure!
Reaching for the stars ♥
Music 1: 78
----------------------------
2017:
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Biology
Physics

miabrown

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Bradfield Senior College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:42:20 am »
+1
Thanks so much for the quick responses guys! I think I'm going to talk to my curriculum coordinator about picking ancient up again when school returns.

Thanks a lot!