Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 12:41:40 am

Author Topic: UCAT discussion  (Read 2001 times)  Share 

brothanathan

UCAT discussion
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:37:25 pm »
Just want to clarify that you don't need the UCAT for physio :) Only need it for medicine and dentistry.

As a current physio student feel free to let me know if you have any questions about physio! Good luck for year 11, I hope it's an enjoyable year for you!! Can't wait to read your updates as we progress through 2020 :D

That's great to know (schools that are giving false info, please amend this), I saw a Uni statement years ago stating the UCAT/UMAT/whatever would be considered for PHD course entry that's all. STRANGE I know
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:38:38 pm by brothanathan »

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: UCAT discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:51:42 pm »
+11
That's great to know (schools that are giving false info, please amend this), I saw a Uni statement years ago stating the UCAT would be considered for PHD course entry that's all. STRANGE I know
Um, the UCAT only came out in 2019 to replace the UMAT.

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:36:12 pm »
Um, the UCAT only came out in 2019 to replace the UMAT.

The UMAT or whatever its called (not knowledgeable sorry!). They would consider your UMAT or whatever the required assessment was called plus your ATAR and MMI. I know this sounds stupendous.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:38:07 pm by brothanathan »

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:14:27 pm »
+9
The UMAT or whatever its called (not knowledgeable sorry!). They would consider your UMAT or whatever the required assessment was called plus your ATAR and MMI. I know this sounds stupendous.

As far as I know, the UCAT and MMI are only used for medicine and dentistry. The UMAT is not in use anymore in Australia, and is now irrelevant! PhD course entry usually needs a 4-year bachelors degree or masters by research/coursework degree with a certain average grade threshold (I think requirements to enter a PhD varies per uni), not the UCAT or the MMI interviews, which is associated with entry into certain medical degrees.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

brothanathan

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:04:12 pm »
As far as I know, the UCAT and MMI are only used for medicine and dentistry. The UMAT is not in use anymore in Australia, and is now irrelevant! PhD course entry usually needs a 4-year bachelors degree or masters by research/coursework degree with a certain average grade threshold (I think requirements to enter a PhD varies per uni), not the UCAT or the MMI interviews, which is associated with entry into certain medical degrees.

Adding to that, shortlisted applicants for Physio at Melb most likely have to do a MMI either way.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 10:39:04 pm »
+1
Adding to that, shortlisted applicants for Physio at Melb most likely have to do a MMI either way.

Yup, 100% correct. DPT MMIs (for Doctor of Physiotherapy) are different to medicine MMIs and is an online interview that lasts for about an hour. For monash uni, the MMIs for entering Bachelor of Physiotherapy are 40 mins long. Even though both run MMIs, physio and med most likely have slightly different questions pertaining to the specific course. So for those interested in applying to either - it’s good to research practice questions for your MMI and look at some general MMI questions too.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:49:44 pm »
+7
Yup, 100% correct. DPT MMIs (for Doctor of Physiotherapy) are different to medicine MMIs and is an online interview that lasts for about an hour. For monash uni, the MMIs for entering Bachelor of Physiotherapy are 40 mins long. Even though both run MMIs, physio and med most likely have slightly different questions pertaining to the specific course. So for those interested in applying to either - it’s good to research practice questions for your MMI and look at some general MMI questions too.
they no longer have an interview to enter the b. physio at monash. unsure whether they will have interviews for the doctor of physio that monash are launching mid-2020