Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 02:28:03 pm

Author Topic: Griffith Uni - Good?  (Read 3772 times)  Share 

Hodgeyhodgey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
  • School: Sebastopol Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Griffith Uni - Good?
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
Just wondering the quality of the courses up at Griffith Uni (QLD - Nathan Campus) as I'm thinking of doing commerce there..

Thanks guys,
Hodgey
2010/11: Further Math|Accounting|BusMan|Englang|Economics|Physics [90.65]
2012-2014: Commerce @ Deakin

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Re: Griffith Uni - Good?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »
Just wondering the quality of the courses up at Griffith Uni (QLD - Nathan Campus) as I'm thinking of doing commerce there..

Thanks guys,
Hodgey

It's not particular a very good uni.. Why there? Why not at UQ in Queensland if you went to go there? It's a very good uni.. If you went the best education, it's safe to stick with the Group of Eight (includes Melbourne, Monash, UQ, etc)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Hodgeyhodgey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:15 pm »
To tell you the truth, my girlfriend wants to do forensic science/criminal law there and I figure it shouldn't matter where I do my commerce degree anyway, just as long as I still qualify for a graduate diploma in chartered accounting and entry into the ICAA. And if I don't choose to go there, my backup is Deakin which I know gives me the prereqs I need for what I want.

And while we're talking about it, what makes a course (on even an entire university) bad? Does it not cover the same aspects as other universities? Does it not give you as many options?   

Should it really matter which university I go to if it still gives me the prereqs I need to do my diploma?

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:07:35 pm »
Yes some unis are much better than others. People who tell you otherwise are just spouting the same rubbish as people from average unis have been saying for years to try to justify their choice to go there.

And bugger going with your girlfriend. Won't seem like such a good idea when you break up and still have another couple of years left there, will it? :P

Hodgeyhodgey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:32:52 pm »
I get that some unis are better than others, but that's all I hear people say. What I want to know is *how* they're better, whether it's teachers, accommodation, courses, etc.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:36:03 pm »
I get that some unis are better than others, but that's all I hear people say. What I want to know is *how* they're better, whether it's teachers, accommodation, courses, etc.

it's better teachers, better facilities, more resources, more recognised by employers, etc.. it does make a huge difference where you go.. if you are to move interstate, do it for the right reasons as you may break up with your girlfriend and be stuck with a fairly average degree, im sure you are capable of monash or melbourne for next year which is much better if you want to get a decent job afterwards.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »
Yes some unis are much better than others.

Whilst this is perfectly true, some people take it way too far (eg VU is rubbish, Deakin doesn't produce good [degree])

The best universities are usually the best because they're strong across the board, whilst others are usually strong in one or two areas and deficient in everything else

Hodgeyhodgey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:15:23 pm »
In that case, what areas are Griffith more preficient in? Looks to me like it's a business orientated uni with the whole business school thing?

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:33:02 pm »
Ehhh...I'd really only say Latrobe's health sciences, Melbourne's actuarial studies and RMIT's technology-based subject areas are examples of universities being stronger in one field than they generally are overall. Can't think of anything Deakin, ACU, VU, etc are particularly good at.