Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:34:02 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1240916 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #2775 on: September 10, 2017, 06:52:40 pm »
+4
Im doing a practise essays as revision at the moment. I was just wondering what the recommended number of words per paragraph to write. Im am currently at a tiny bit less than 300 words per paragraph. I feel i could fit more analysis into each paragraph but i think that might be pushing it a bit. Is this enough? Thanks

Hey! At 300 words per paragraph, plus 100 word intro and 50 word conclusion, that's 1050 words - That is heaps for a Module essay, right at the top of the sweet spot. So yep, good job, I think you are good ;D

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2776 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:17 pm »
Just wondering if I could post some thesi here for feedback?

Thx!!

“Political language...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” George Orwell, ‘Politics and the English Language’
Evaluate how composers use textual forms and features to make an audience appreciate competing political ideas, truths and perspectives.

THESIS:
In representations of political situations, truths and perspectives, composers use textual forms and features to give an appearance of integrity to an inherently subjective representation.
REST OF INTRO:
Barry Levinson in his political satire ‘Wag the Dog’, and Michael Moore in his documentary feature ‘Fahrenheit 9/11’ both exploit the conventions of their mediums of representation. Both composers use humour, emotional appeals and metanarrative to engage in direct dialogue with their audiences and warn them of the political corruption and complete disregard for truth permeating the political sphere. Ultimately, both composers use textual forms and features to their advantage, giving the “appearance of solidarity to pure wind” so that the ideas they are communicating can be appreciated by their respective audiences.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2777 on: September 12, 2017, 06:38:21 pm »
Hey guys - doing some Mod B practice, trying to see if i can write better and ramble less. Employing the colour coding as per some awesome advice

q: Evaluate how the composer of your prescribed text uses language to shape your response to a key issue in the text.
thesis: Composers of texts ultimately aim to compel the audience to consider, reconsider and evaluate contextual and timeless issues. Christina Rossetti is no exception and it is through her adept use of language, poetic techniques and structure that she is able to exceptionally and timelessly explore the key issue of the disempowerment.

Any feedback on this paragraph would be great. I know feedback is on the other page, but this is just a little bit of class work i thought i'd get some help on before powering on to some proper essays - better to start on the right foot.
pink - evalution
green - techniques
red - analysis and question links (i feel like i chuck concepts in here and idk if that's right or not)
The employment of imagery throughout Goblin market allows Rossetti to effectively raise questions within her audience about the hypocrisy and flaws which exists in their expectation. The contrasting imagery of the demonic Goblins to the angelic figure of Lizzie highlights the issue with their punishments. This punishment is represented by the accumulative violent imagery of “Bullied and besought her, Scratch’d her, pinch’d her black as ink, Kick’d and knock’d her, Maul’d and mock’d her,” with the consonance of “d” emphasizing their actions. Through this use of language Rossetti subtly forces the audience to question why it is that the innocent corrupted girl is punished whilst the evil figures of the goblins evade any punishment - a fable that reflects the hypocrisy of their society’s punishment. In her description of the alluded ‘forbidden Fruits’ she utilizes passionate imagery through the red colours described to initially denote the fruit as a source of corruption. She then contradicts this through the violence and animalistic imagery of the Goblin’s “No longer wagging, purring, But visibly demurring, Grunting and snarling.” in order to illustrate men as the active force for corruption. Through this change in imagery Rossetti evokes reader to consider why the innocent female is blamed/punished for something that is out of women’s control and instead based upon society’s views of an issue. It is undeniable that Rossetti expertly influences her audience to consider the plight of female degradation critically through her use of imagery in highlighting societal hypocrisies and flaws.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:40:10 pm by beau77bro »

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2778 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:30 pm »
Hello!
For creative writing, how would I effectively show dialogue in another language?

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2779 on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:22 pm »
+1
Hello!
For creative writing, how would I effectively show dialogue in another language?

Planning ahead for an exam situation, your best bet is to study some synonyms for the word dialogue in the lead up to the exam to ensure that you can expand on your vocabulary - this will be extremely helpful during the exam. There are a number of different words and phrases you could use to effectively suggest dialogue and synonyms would be very helpful for you.
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2780 on: September 13, 2017, 02:52:23 pm »
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone if anyone is studying the text 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin for the people and landscapes module?
And if so, would anyone happen to have any notes here? - willing to do an exchange for anything needed.
Let me know guys!
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2781 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:38 pm »
+3
Just wondering if I could post some thesi here for feedback?

Thx!!

Spoiler
“Political language...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” George Orwell, ‘Politics and the English Language’
Evaluate how composers use textual forms and features to make an audience appreciate competing political ideas, truths and perspectives.

THESIS:
In representations of political situations, truths and perspectives, composers use textual forms and features to give an appearance of integrity to an inherently subjective representation.
REST OF INTRO:
Barry Levinson in his political satire ‘Wag the Dog’, and Michael Moore in his documentary feature ‘Fahrenheit 9/11’ both exploit the conventions of their mediums of representation. Both composers use humour, emotional appeals and metanarrative to engage in direct dialogue with their audiences and warn them of the political corruption and complete disregard for truth permeating the political sphere. Ultimately, both composers use textual forms and features to their advantage, giving the “appearance of solidarity to pure wind” so that the ideas they are communicating can be appreciated by their respective audiences.

I like this Thesis and this introduction!! You've linked to the question nicely, though perhaps you could do so a little more strongly - It's the competing bit that I'm not quite seeing in your response right now, I'd like to see that brought in a little more. I'd also like you to elaborate a little more on the ideas of corruption and deceit the composers are presenting - Perhaps linking to context? These are nitpicks though, I think this works quite well ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2782 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »
+3
Hey guys - doing some Mod B practice, trying to see if i can write better and ramble less. Employing the colour coding as per some awesome advice

q: Evaluate how the composer of your prescribed text uses language to shape your response to a key issue in the text.
thesis: Composers of texts ultimately aim to compel the audience to consider, reconsider and evaluate contextual and timeless issues. Christina Rossetti is no exception and it is through her adept use of language, poetic techniques and structure that she is able to exceptionally and timelessly explore the key issue of the disempowerment.

Any feedback on this paragraph would be great. I know feedback is on the other page, but this is just a little bit of class work i thought i'd get some help on before powering on to some proper essays - better to start on the right foot.

Spoiler
The employment of imagery throughout Goblin market allows Rossetti to effectively raise questions within her audience about the hypocrisy and flaws which exists in their expectation. The contrasting imagery of the demonic Goblins to the angelic figure of Lizzie highlights the issue with their punishments. This punishment is represented by the accumulative violent imagery of “Bullied and besought her, Scratch’d her, pinch’d her black as ink, Kick’d and knock’d her, Maul’d and mock’d her,” with the consonance of “d” emphasizing their actions. Through this use of language Rossetti subtly forces the audience to question why it is that the innocent corrupted girl is punished whilst the evil figures of the goblins evade any punishment - a fable that reflects the hypocrisy of their society’s punishment. In her description of the alluded ‘forbidden Fruits’ she utilizes passionate imagery through the red colours described to initially denote the fruit as a source of corruption. She then contradicts this through the violence and animalistic imagery of the Goblin’s “No longer wagging, purring, But visibly demurring, Grunting and snarling.” in order to illustrate men as the active force for corruption. Through this change in imagery Rossetti evokes reader to consider why the innocent female is blamed/punished for something that is out of women’s control and instead based upon society’s views of an issue. It is undeniable that Rossetti expertly influences her audience to consider the plight of female degradation critically through her use of imagery in highlighting societal hypocrisies and flaws.

I think this works quite well! Definitely lots of evaluation which is fantastic. Watch your wording, a few places where it was just a tiny bit askew. Further, a few spots where you were bordering on the edge of retell - The dead giveaway is when a sentence doesn't have any red in it. When this happens, it means that you are most likely using a technique and describing something about a character or an event. This is retell - It's definitely not a huge issue for you but you should keep striving to improve it even more by having red in pretty much every sentence! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2783 on: September 13, 2017, 04:24:48 pm »
+3
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone if anyone is studying the text 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin for the people and landscapes module?
And if so, would anyone happen to have any notes here? - willing to do an exchange for anything needed.
Let me know guys!

There are quite a few notes in our free notes section! No exchange necessary (though we'd LOVE for you to upload your notes to our database for us to share around) ;D

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2784 on: September 13, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »
trying to understand this critic quote for mod b ts eliot

"What happens is that he achieves a kind of filigree without pattern" --> Aiken
so my understanding of it is a filigree is some sort of ornate jewelry so Aiken is complementing
Eliot's work in his ability to depict complicated subject matter.
In regards to the second part "without pattern" is this a reference to his style?
Eliot's divergence away from traditional styles of poetry that relied heavily on pattern to achieve
a responder's understanding of the subject matter, rather uses disparate symbols/ ideas which seamlessly come together as a whole, being sophisticated rather than in your face (like repetition of the same idea) because I feel like his his very disparate until you do critical readings and then they fall into place...

I hope this makes sense....if anyone could provide their interpretation that would be great :)
get me out of here

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2785 on: September 13, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »
Spoiler

THESIS:
REST OF INTRO:

I like this Thesis and this introduction!! You've linked to the question nicely, though perhaps you could do so a little more strongly - It's the competing bit that I'm not quite seeing in your response right now, I'd like to see that brought in a little more. I'd also like you to elaborate a little more on the ideas of corruption and deceit the composers are presenting - Perhaps linking to context? These are nitpicks though, I think this works quite well ;D

Thank You!!

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2786 on: September 13, 2017, 10:43:46 pm »
Spoiler

I think this works quite well! Definitely lots of evaluation which is fantastic. Watch your wording, a few places where it was just a tiny bit askew. Further, a few spots where you were bordering on the edge of retell - The dead giveaway is when a sentence doesn't have any red in it. When this happens, it means that you are most likely using a technique and describing something about a character or an event. This is retell - It's definitely not a huge issue for you but you should keep striving to improve it even more by having red in pretty much every sentence! :)

OK SWEET JAMON WILL DO I WILL BE BACK WITH A FULL ESSAY, LIMITED RETELL AND HOPEFULLY SOME SOLID IDEAS, ANALYSIS, COHESION AND MINIMAL RETELL.

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #2787 on: September 14, 2017, 12:58:59 pm »
A lot of questions, I apologise :)

1. I've missed out of a lot of the speeches module and was wondering if is there a recommended/usual pairing of speeches? Like in a lot of essays I've seen, people tend to put Keating and Pearson, maybe with Sadat to round things off. Lessing and Brooks also seems to be quite common? Is it better to go for the accustomed pairings for textual integrity or change it?
2. For AOS, would it be better to do recent trial exams or do past HSCs and change belonging/journey to discovery? Are there any websites besides thsc online for practice papers?
3. If there's a HSC question and it's a quote followed by a question, “One cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore”. To what extent does curiosity and necessity manipulate the process of discovery.  How much of our essay should directly reference the quote if at all?
4. Last one haha, how personal should a personal response be? e.g. How has your study of discovery changed you?
Some of the teachers at my school do not recommend using 'I', which I also prefer because it's been ingrained in me  ;D but my class teacher thinks we should?

Thank you so much

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2788 on: September 14, 2017, 05:58:17 pm »
Hi All,

Im struggling in english to make it out of the 12-14 / 20 range for essays

I read our schools sample 17/20 essay samples and they seem very achievable,

What do i need to do to make the jump from the c/b range to the A range

Poporo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2789 on: September 14, 2017, 07:29:42 pm »
Hello!
I'm sorry to ask this, the answer's probably somewhere in this forum but I couldn't find it through the masses of questions.
How would you suggest structuring essays for all modules? The structure I've had so far has worked at school, but I just want to know if it's sophisticated enough for HSC:
Mod A - Richard III
Intro
Paragraph 1: Text 1 Analysis
Paragraph 2: Text 2 Analysis and compare with Text 1
Paragraphs 3 and 4: Repeat
Conclusion
-----> Is it recommended to compare texts side by side in the same paragraph? Or is it ok in seperate paragraphs?

Mod B - Yeats
Intro
Para 1: Poem 1 analysis
Para 2: Poem 2 analysis
Para 3 and 4: Repeat
Conclusion

Mod C - Brave New World
Paragraph 1: Text 1 Analysis
Paragraph 2: Text 2 Analysis
Paragraphs 3 and 4: Repeat
Conclusion

My main question is whether I should have a context paragraph after the introduction for all essays, and if yes, does it need a thesis? I've read so many sample essays, but none from NESA so have no idea which one to follow! :(
Thank you!