Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:12:51 am

Author Topic: Assessment Mark  (Read 2535 times)  Share 

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Assessment Mark
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »
Right so I got my trials back and now my averages for both 3U and 2U Maths is set at 75%. Now I made many mistakes throughout the year that I can most definitely learn from and implement my increased knowledge in the HSC which makes me confident that for me a raw mark of 95+ for both the subjects is possible, even though it sounds very stupid considering my averages suggest otherwise  ;D. My only question is that IF I do achieve that mark of 95+, how greatly can it increase my chances of achieving an E4 and a Band 6?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Assessment Mark
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:42:02 pm »
+1
If you're attain for a 95 raw then that's a band 6/E4 guaranteed. Due to how alignment works (as long as you're not ranked TOO low) an ~82% raw in MX1 gets an E4, whilst something around ~86% probably secures it for 2U.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:43:05 pm »
+1
Right so I got my trials back and now my averages for both 3U and 2U Maths is set at 75%. Now I made many mistakes throughout the year that I can most definitely learn from and implement my increased knowledge in the HSC which makes me confident that for me a raw mark of 95+ for both the subjects is possible, even though it sounds very stupid considering my averages suggest otherwise  ;D. My only question is that IF I do achieve that mark of 95+, how greatly can it increase my chances of achieving an E4 and a Band 6?

Hey! Getting a really strong HSC result will definitely give you a solid chance at a Band 6/E4, depending on how your cohort performs with you (as Rui said, depends on rank, but that sort of result gives you a really solid chance). This guide has the details!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:30 pm »
Are the percentage between ranks a big factor. I couldn't seem to find it in the guide. For example, if I came 4th with 80% and 5th got 60%. If in the HSC we both get 85% does 1-4 get pushed up and it not really affect 5th or does 5th go significantly lower? Or does it not really make a difference, if 5th gets 60% or 79%?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
+3
Are the percentage between ranks a big factor. I couldn't seem to find it in the guide. For example, if I came 4th with 80% and 5th got 60%. If in the HSC we both get 85% does 1-4 get pushed up and it not really affect 5th or does 5th go significantly lower? Or does it not really make a difference, if 5th gets 60% or 79%?

Your exam mark remains yours remember, but the gap between marks does play into your moderated assessment mark. So if you came 4th with 80% and 5th got 60%, that's a fairly large gap, and you'd expect that gap to remain after moderation. Individual exam marks don't really play into moderation unless you come first, or last - All they do is contribute to the new average to which the assessment marks get moderated :P

A fair guess in your scenario would be that 5th's internal mark would be moderated to something reasonably lower than 85% :)

This probably sounds complicated, because it is! In honesty it isn't something to be investing a lot of energy into - Hyper analysing how things will affect you isn't healthy. Big takeaway - Work really hard because a strong HSC performance is vital!

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:01:40 pm »
If you're attain for a 95 raw then that's a band 6/E4 guaranteed. Due to how alignment works (as long as you're not ranked TOO low) an ~82% raw in MX1 gets an E4, whilst something around ~86% probably secures it for 2U.
What would you say TOO low would be? Like my for extension 1, there are 30 kids doing it at my school and I am placed 7th with a gap of like 20% from 1st... I am expecting this rank to go up however as I placed 4th in my trial exam but the gap with 2nd and 1st was of 13% so I hope 7th is not too low

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:28:41 pm »
+1
What would you say TOO low would be? Like my for extension 1, there are 30 kids doing it at my school and I am placed 7th with a gap of like 20% from 1st... I am expecting this rank to go up however as I placed 4th in my trial exam but the gap with 2nd and 1st was of 13% so I hope 7th is not too low

7th should give you a good chance! A good way to guesstimate (like, still very imperfect and inaccurate but decent) is to go off how many Band 6/E4's were awarded in last years cohort. Further, how many of your fellow students would be capable of getting a good 85%+ in the HSC exam? At 7th you are relying on the performance of the Top 7 students in the class :)

A1P

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:11 pm »
+1

If you are good at maths figure it out this way:

Call the cohort's total exam marks X, total assessment marks Y.
Each student's assessment mark will be moderated by *approximately* the ratio [X/Y].

Your moderated mark = 80 * [X/Y] , the 5th ranked's = 60 * [X/Y]

If 5th gets 79 instead your moderated mark is still 80 * [X/Y] but would drop a little since [X/Y] is smaller (due to his 79 instead of 60).

Drops only a little because in this example we are changing only 5th's mark. It would be a big drop if not only 5th but also everyone below 5th gets a corresponding rise from below 60 to below 79 (Y would be much larger, [X/Y] much smaller).