Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 12:12:52 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348297 times)  Share 

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1065 on: October 24, 2017, 11:59:09 pm »
Translocation Down syndrome is sometimes hereditary apparently but i think in most cases it is not inherited (ur right). i think i would use another example like cystic fibrosis?

nah soz just found out that down syndrome is a genetic disease lol...
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1066 on: October 25, 2017, 02:20:17 pm »
Thoughts on paper???
HSC 2017

Mathematics Ext 1 - Mathematics - English Standard - Studies of Religion 1 - Economics - Biology

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #1067 on: October 25, 2017, 02:22:18 pm »
+3
Thoughts on paper???

Hi!

We have a thread for this here :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

tina1395

• Adventurer
« Reply #1068 on: November 19, 2017, 09:41:32 am »
hi guys,

for the dotpoint "Process and analyse information from secondary sources to describe the effect of one name and described genetic mutation on human health", can i use SCID or colour-blindness ?

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #1069 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:08 pm »
hi guys,

for the dotpoint "Process and analyse information from secondary sources to describe the effect of one name and described genetic mutation on human health", can i use SCID or colour-blindness ?

For sure! Just make sure you explain why these defects affect health as according to the definition we use in bio.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1070 on: December 03, 2017, 02:47:55 pm »
Hi guys~

Does anyone or has anyone, had the problem with your teacher going through numerous slides for theory for just a single dot point? And then turns out for exams, you only needed literally one slide worth of theory? How do I distinguish between what I need or don't need?

Thank you~~
From theyam

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #1071 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:21 am »
+2
Hi guys~

Does anyone or has anyone, had the problem with your teacher going through numerous slides for theory for just a single dot point? And then turns out for exams, you only needed literally one slide worth of theory? How do I distinguish between what I need or don't need?

Thank you~~
From theyam
Hello, theyam.
It's not so much the intense number of slides that's the problem, it's simply the way your teacher teaches you the concept. This is because everything in biology is linked nicely. And I mean very nicely. I suggest approaching your studies by linking concepts together, because that's the only way you'll ever remember these ideas without the burden of seeing so much content. What I tend to do with my notes is to adjust each new concept and squeeze it somewhere else so that there are less areas to remember.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. Enzyme activity plays an essential role in not only Maintaining a Balance, but Blueprint of Life and Search for Better Health. In MAB, you are introduced with the idea of enzyme activity and its significance to metabolism. We also note the denaturation process (conditions need to be optimal for enzymes to work efficiently), but this idea comes into play with the removal of carbon dioxide in the blood. If carbon dioxide is present in the blood, the blood becomes more acidic, lowering the pH of the blood, which in turn denatures the enzymes. See how they are linked very nicely? This is why biology isn't a hard subject, you just need to find the right mechanism to remember concepts easier and what better way than to link them up?

Perhaps, try this method and I can guarantee that you begin to find the content much easier to absorb, allowing you to memorise information that may not even be relevant in the exam.

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1072 on: December 29, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »
Hey Guys,
I was doing a dot point in maintaining a balance:
T.3.5 Distinguish between active and passive transport and relate these to processes occurring in the mammalian kidney
Im struggling to relate active and passive to the processes occurring in the mammalian kidney
it would be great if you guys could help

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #1073 on: December 29, 2017, 10:25:49 pm »
Hey Guys,
T.3.5 Distinguish between active and passive transport and relate these to processes occurring in the mammalian kidney
Im struggling to relate active and passive to the processes occurring in the mammalian kidney

Ok might be a little rusty but basically active transport occurs in the proximal distal tubule to reabsorb glucose and such. Passive transport occurs everywhere else to reabsorb water via osmosis - it's a bit of brief explanation but hopefully it's enough to get you on the right track
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1074 on: December 29, 2017, 11:26:05 pm »
+3
Hey Guys,

Hi,
So passive transport means that NO ENERGY is required, and that substances will move from a high concentration to low concentration. In relation to the kidney, water and salts move by passive transport from the kidney tubules to the capillaries. HOWEVER, some water and salts are transported by active transport, depending on the body's needs. So, if the body needs more water, active transport will occur to ensure that more water is returned to the capillaries.
Active transport however does require energy. As aforementioned, some water and salt are transported by active transport. However, ALL glucose and amino acids are returned to the capillaries by active transport. Both of these transports occur during the reabsorption phase.
For the HSC, you are not required to know exactly where these processes occur (i.e. distal tube, proximal tube etc.), however I am not sure whether your school will include this in your assessments, so I think it would be good for you to ask your teacher whether you need to correspond the form of transport to the location on the tubules.

Hope this helps :)
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1075 on: December 31, 2017, 03:41:45 pm »
Hey guys,
I needed help answering this question about this dot point:
T.3.8 Define enantiostasis as the maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment and discuss its importance to estuarine organisms in maintaining appropriate salt concentrations.
I have answered this dot point but however I don't think i have answered the 'discuss its importance to estuarine organisms.....'
It would be great, if you guys could help :)

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #1076 on: December 31, 2017, 06:15:11 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
I needed help answering this question about this dot point:
T.3.8 Define enantiostasis as the maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment and discuss its importance to estuarine organisms in maintaining appropriate salt concentrations.
I have answered this dot point but however I don't think i have answered the 'discuss its importance to estuarine organisms.....'
It would be great, if you guys could help :)

Hi!

Estuarine organisms experience wide variations in salt concentrations over a short period of time due to tidal movements:
- Tide in: Freshwater environment, water osmoses into cells
- Tide out: Saltwater environment, water osmotes out of cells

The main reason that enantiostasis is so important links back to the overarching theme of the module: Enzymes and their function. If an enzyme within an organism is not in its optimum condition, it won't be as efficient as it would have been.

Hope this helps :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1077 on: January 03, 2018, 07:11:17 pm »
Hi,
For the dotpoint:
T.4.2 Outline, using a simple model, the process by which DNA controls the production of polypeptides
what would be a good simple model to use to model protein synthesis?

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1078 on: January 03, 2018, 08:26:59 pm »
+1
Hi,
For the dotpoint:
T.4.2 Outline, using a simple model, the process by which DNA controls the production of polypeptides
what would be a good simple model to use to model protein synthesis?

Hi cnnim2000,

The way you complete this dot point depends on what kind of activity your teacher instructed to do in class. In many schools, and in mine, we drew up a labelled diagram of the protein synthesis process within a cell. To keep it simple, we used different coloured textas to distinguish between different parts of the cell i.e. mRNA, DNA, nucleus, ribosome, tRNA. A good reference point would be the image I have attached below and I also have attached my own drawn model I used for my study notes (don't worry about the faint pencil writing, that was only a guide for me explaining what transcription and translation entailed) :)

Hope this makes sense, and feel free to ask more questions :)
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1079 on: January 03, 2018, 09:54:38 pm »
Thanks, that helped alot.
I wasn't too sure if the dot point wanted me to draw a model as you said or link this process to an analogy.