Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 11:09:23 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348294 times)  Share 

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #465 on: October 21, 2016, 07:53:38 pm »
oh ok thanks!! I was really worried about that! :) thats relief!

Thats ok :)
Just remember, as ruthless as bostes may appear (and the exam preparers are :D) the markers are genuinely nice people who are trying to give you ad many marks as they can without being locked out for being "too nice"
Most of my teachers have been markers, so if you think about it that way it doesnt seem so bad. A teacher is marking my responses I have done, not some BOSTES head honcho official ;D

Glad i helped :)

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2016, 01:35:07 pm »
hi guys

question

many capillaries are only 6-8 micrometre wide which means
that many red blood cells dirstort into a bell shape (forced to flow in single file)

discuss the advantages of this behaviour?
get me out of here

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2016, 01:46:33 pm »
hi guys

question

that many red blood cells dirstort into a bell shape (forced to flow in single file)

What are your ideas first?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2016, 01:47:05 pm »

hi guys

question

The capillaries has a wall that is one cell thick and forces the RBC to form in single file. These promote closeness to the tissues and the thinness of the wall promotes efficient exchange of products (gases and nutrients in/waste products out)
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

khitnay

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Condell Park High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2016, 10:33:29 pm »
Hey guys. I have an assessment task report coming up. We did a prac on testing enzyme activity with changes in temperature. (amino acids in egg whites with pepsin to be exact). The assignment asks for the usual scientific report, but there's a separate section for presenting the report in some way; powerpoint or video format or whatever, but it's worth 10 marks based on creativity. Any ideas on how to present a prac such as this creatively? Thanks in advance

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #470 on: November 16, 2016, 12:24:36 am »

Hey guys. I have an assessment task report coming up. We did a prac on testing enzyme activity with changes in temperature. (amino acids in egg whites with pepsin to be exact). The assignment asks for the usual scientific report, but there's a separate section for presenting the report in some way; powerpoint or video format or whatever, but it's worth 10 marks based on creativity. Any ideas on how to present a prac such as this creatively? Thanks in advance

For creativity try using analogies on how enzymes work and maybe try to make it very vibrant in colour and add in animations to help present your report. If you plan on doing a video you could set it out in the form of a news report where you interview things in your experiment (I.e the egg whites, the Pipettes, the enzyme and substrate etc) and then proceed through the report that way. You need to balance the creativity with the authenticity and concise nature of the information presented so that it is still a formal report that gives the correct information whilst being equally creative. If they are out of homeostasis then it will be to the detriment to the project ;)

Hope this helps

khitnay

• Adventurer
  • School: Condell Park High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #471 on: November 16, 2016, 07:15:13 pm »
That helps out a lot. Thank You!

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #472 on: November 26, 2016, 05:50:59 pm »
I'm just wondering how you would approach the question 'what can you conclude from your results and the control experiment?', it's for my bio assignment and the experiment was about the effects of carbon dioxide on the pH of water. I just need some help tackling the question.

If you can! Please and thank you!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #473 on: November 26, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »

I'm just wondering how you would approach the question 'what can you conclude from your results and the control experiment?', it's for my bio assignment and the experiment was about the effects of carbon dioxide on the pH of water. I just need some help tackling the question.

If you can! Please and thank you!

If the control would be the pH water before CO2 and then the result would be the pH of the water after CO2 and the conclusion would be the change in the pH from normal water to CO2 water

And example would be 'The result showed the pH of the water has decreased with the addition of CO2, this change can be determined through a comparison between the pH of normal water compared to the experimental water, which is (insert change in pH)"

Hope this Helps

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
« Reply #474 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:31 pm »
hi i'm stuck on this question

direct evidence that sugar is transported in the sieve tubes of the phloem was obtained using radioactive tracers.
eg. plants can be exposed to co2 which contain C14
the plants photosynthesise and the radioactive carbon is incorporated into the
sugars of the plant.
halting the process and taking fine sections which are then covered with fine photographic film
shows the location of the radioactive sugars.
Draw a diagram to show where the autoradiograph would show fogging due to radioactivity
in the stem of the plant..

isn't it just the phloem?
seems to simple for such as a long question...

also i was thinking the source and sink cells but they're not really part of the stem....

any ideas?maybe i'm overthinking it
get me out of here

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2016, 05:58:47 pm »

hi i'm stuck on this question

direct evidence that sugar is transported in the sieve tubes of the phloem was obtained using radioactive tracers.
eg. plants can be exposed to co2 which contain C14
the plants photosynthesise and the radioactive carbon is incorporated into the
sugars of the plant.
halting the process and taking fine sections which are then covered with fine photographic film
shows the location of the radioactive sugars.
Draw a diagram to show where the autoradiograph would show fogging due to radioactivity
in the stem of the plant..

isn't it just the phloem?
seems to simple for such as a long question...

also i was thinking the source and sink cells but they're not really part of the stem....

any ideas?maybe i'm overthinking it

Well the thing is the stem of the plant is vascular tissue, meaning it is a bundle of both xylem and phloem cells. Source and Sink cells are just names for the places where sugar is stored or produced (source) and where sugar is needed (sinks) in the plant (this can be in roots of the plant as well)

Your explanation for the radioactive tracers is correct but what you should do is a comparison between a control and a test sample to help assist the results

Your diagram should show a vascular bundle where the xylem and phloem are located and fogging appears in the phloem.

Hope this helps

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2016, 06:03:31 pm »
ahh i see why i need to draw both the phloem and xylem

thanks Skidous
get me out of here

jamesq

• Adventurer
« Reply #477 on: December 08, 2016, 08:52:57 pm »
Hey guys, I have a student research project that is to be conducted through the holiday period. I'm finding it quite difficult to find something i'm interested in. I certainly don't want to grow a plant but I was wondering if you guys have any ideas.
2017: Advanced English, 3U Maths, Biology, Chemistry, IPT

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #478 on: December 09, 2016, 08:55:57 am »
Hey guys, I have a student research project that is to be conducted through the holiday period. I'm finding it quite difficult to find something i'm interested in. I certainly don't want to grow a plant but I was wondering if you guys have any ideas.

What's the reasearch task about? Is it where you have to create your own experiment based on a hypothesis that you yourself make?

If so, then I actually did mine on shampoo. My aim was to determine which brand of shampoo actually made your hair stronger and so I got fresh samples of my own hair and soaked them in different brands of shampoo's (i.e. Garnier, schwarzkopf etc) and then tested how much strength I used to pulled them until they snapped.
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #479 on: December 09, 2016, 09:03:10 am »

What's the reasearch task about? Is it where you have to create your own experiment based on a hypothesis that you yourself make?

If so, then I actually did mine on shampoo. My aim was to determine which brand of shampoo actually made your hair stronger and so I got fresh samples of my own hair and soaked them in different brands of shampoo's (i.e. Garnier, schwarzkopf etc) and then tested how much strength I used to pulled them until they snapped.

I think it may be but since this is biology I'm not sure if that relates to anything in the biology syllabus.