Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 01:10:05 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348299 times)  Share 

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2017, 05:57:30 pm »
+2

Hello!
Anyone have any links to videos that cover the Biology Syllabus?
Thank you :)

Hey Shreya

There won't be many videos that cover the WHOLE syllabus but there are some notes in this website that do.

You should really realistically try to look at the parts of the syllabus that you are struggling and looking for videos about that

For example: if you struggling with the kidney then you could use this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l128tW1H5a8

If you do the communication option and have trouble with the parts of the brain then there's another video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8NtmDrb_qo

Hope This Helps
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #496 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:05 pm »
Thank you so much :)
The video about kidneys definitely helped.
I did find one website that uploads HSC Bio Videos. It's called HSC Hero

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #497 on: January 22, 2017, 10:07:13 pm »
+2

Thank you so much :)
The video about kidneys definitely helped.
I did find one website that uploads HSC Bio Videos. It's called HSC Hero

That's cool, videos are a great way to consolidate information, but you shouldn't use them as your only form of study. Study notes are still one of the best ways to study due to muscle memory when you physically write down notes.

Nothing wrong with videos just use them in tandem with your other forms of study

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2017, 11:34:55 am »
That's cool, videos are a great way to consolidate information, but you shouldn't use them as your only form of study. Study notes are still one of the best ways to study due to muscle memory when you physically write down notes.

Nothing wrong with videos just use them in tandem with your other forms of study

Yeah I definitely agree! I'm just using them to consolidate information. It's also because my teacher isn't the greatest, so I often have to go home and teach myself the content.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »
Yeah I definitely agree! I'm just using them to consolidate information. It's also because my teacher isn't the greatest, so I often have to go home and teach myself the content.

I really like your attitude :) It's easy to fall into the trap of blaming your teacher for everything and spending the year whinging about it. Unfortunately, very few just accept the fact and do what's needed to do well (i.e. teach yourself!). :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #500 on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:33 pm »
+1
I really like your attitude :) It's easy to fall into the trap of blaming your teacher for everything and spending the year whinging about it. Unfortunately, very few just accept the fact and do what's needed to do well (i.e. teach yourself!). :)

Haha yes thank you!! Hopefully my marks will improve :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2017, 12:59:16 am »
Hi :) I was wondering if anyone had tips to remember
1. What chemicals/digestive enzymes are secreted by the liver, stomach, intestine (basically the alimentary canal)
2. Tips to deal with pedigrees

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:56 am »

Hi :) I was wondering if anyone had tips to remember
1. What chemicals/digestive enzymes are secreted by the liver, stomach, intestine (basically the alimentary canal)
2. Tips to deal with pedigrees

Hey anotherworld,

For 1 I know that the liver has catalase which can break down peroxides into oxygen, as for the stomach it contain sulfuric acid, I'm not quite sure about the intestines

For 2 you should remember a few things
1: Write down Generations (I, II, III, etc.)
2: Have a key (Square for Male, Circle for Female, patterns/coloured in shape for affected)
3: Analyse the relationship between the affected people and the pedigree (i.e. Does it skip a generation, does it only affect men, is it more apparent than the unaffected, can 2 non-affected parents produce and affected offspring etc)
4: Sometimes there will be a question with a paragraph and you have to construct the pedigree, read the question very carefully so you get the right relationships between people and who is affected.
5: Always use a ruler for the lines in a pedigree
6: It may help to write the Genotypes of each person in the pedigree to better grasp how the disease/disorder is passed down generations

Hope this helps

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:38 am »
Thanks for the help :D
I found this flow chart on youtube for pedigrees. I just wanted to know opinions on whether or not it would be effective to use

Hey anotherworld,

For 1 I know that the liver has catalase which can break down peroxides into oxygen, as for the stomach it contain sulfuric acid, I'm not quite sure about the intestines

For 2 you should remember a few things
1: Write down Generations (I, II, III, etc.)
2: Have a key (Square for Male, Circle for Female, patterns/coloured in shape for affected)
3: Analyse the relationship between the affected people and the pedigree (i.e. Does it skip a generation, does it only affect men, is it more apparent than the unaffected, can 2 non-affected parents produce and affected offspring etc)
4: Sometimes there will be a question with a paragraph and you have to construct the pedigree, read the question very carefully so you get the right relationships between people and who is affected.
5: Always use a ruler for the lines in a pedigree
6: It may help to write the Genotypes of each person in the pedigree to better grasp how the disease/disorder is passed down generations

Hope this helps

sirecg02

• Adventurer
« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2017, 08:24:30 pm »
Ok so I am having trouble writing summary notes on the pracs and studying my bio pracs...I just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?? I am currently doing notes for maintaining a balance. Thanks in advance.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:48 pm »

Ok so I am having trouble writing summary notes on the pracs and studying my bio pracs...I just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?? I am currently doing notes for maintaining a balance. Thanks in advance.

Hey sirecg

I would start with making sure you have all the equipment and method written down.

You should then remember the key content related to the experiment (i.e. The enzyme pracs are about how enzymes interact with substrates and how other factor impact upon enzyme activity).

After that you should write up the reliability, validity and accuracy about each experiment along with how effective of an experiment was with assisting you knowledge of the content.

sirecg02

• Adventurer
« Reply #506 on: January 27, 2017, 12:38:57 pm »
Thank u

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #507 on: January 27, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
Story time.

I have decided to rewrite my biology notes for some random reason (don't ask) and I got a little lost with the first dot point. I know, I'm a genius.
So for 'Identify the role of enzymes in metabolism, describe their chemical composition and use a simple model to describe their specificity on substrates', the worksheet says 'Enzymes are proteins made out of amino acids.' I was very happy with such a simple description until I read the next line. 'Proteins are made up of C,N, H, O'

So my question is (after a paragraph of ranting) are amino acids made up of C, N, H, O or are amino acids = C, N, H, O?

Thanks for reading :D

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #508 on: January 27, 2017, 02:41:09 pm »
+1
Story time.

I have decided to rewrite my biology notes for some random reason (don't ask) and I got a little lost with the first dot point. I know, I'm a genius.
So for 'Identify the role of enzymes in metabolism, describe their chemical composition and use a simple model to describe their specificity on substrates', the worksheet says 'Enzymes are proteins made out of amino acids.' I was very happy with such a simple description until I read the next line. 'Proteins are made up of C,N, H, O'

So my question is (after a paragraph of ranting) are amino acids made up of C, N, H, O or are amino acids = C, N, H, O?

Thanks for reading :D

Amino acids are the monomers/building blocks of proteins. So basically proteins are made of long chains of amino acids. Amino acids are made of the elements Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen due to the specific functional groups they are composed of (amine and carboxyl). There are 20 different amino acids that exist so the amino acids do not equal Carbon, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen, they are composed of those elements. Amino acids can also contain Sulfur and Phosphorus but all of them must contain C, H, O and N. I'd suggest searching up amino acid on google images so you can visualise the structure.
UAdel MBBS

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #509 on: January 27, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »
Amino acids are the monomers/building blocks of proteins. So basically proteins are made of long chains of amino acids. Amino acids are made of the elements Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen due to the specific functional groups they are composed of (amine and carboxyl). There are 20 different amino acids that exist so the amino acids do not equal Carbon, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen, they are composed of those elements. Amino acids can also contain Sulfur and Phosphorus but all of them must contain C, H, O and N. I'd suggest searching up amino acid on google images so you can visualise the structure.

That is amazing. Thanks! ;D