Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 07:35:26 am

Author Topic: English 3/4 2012 Oral SAC!  (Read 22038 times)  Share 

giveup

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Going to fail 3&4 English
  • Respect: +2
Re: English 3/4 2012 Oral SAC!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 07:11:00 pm »
Does anyone know if stem-cell research is restricted in Australia?
English  | Biology | Media Studies | Visual Communication and Design | Philosophy
:::

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »
AFAIK, CSIRO is doing stem cell research, so probably not restricted.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

Charmz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »
I think I read somewhere that stem cell research is restricted to some parts of Australia.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:23:06 pm »
+1
Derryn Hinch identifying sex offenders
Withdrawal of troops from Iraq
Qantas
Carbon Tax
The kid who got arrested in Bali

Do the issues have to be recent, as in from early December? And are we only allowed to focus on an issue debated in the Australian media?
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

diligent18

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
  • School: Hogwarts
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 02:37:18 pm »
Could someone please explain the Qantas issue to me?
I've been out and about lately and haven't really been keeping up with the news.
I really don't know how to get started on this Oral.  I also feel as though my writing lacks that 'special flow', and that my expression is too unsophisticated to achieve a high 40.
UMAT 2012: 99%tile   ATAR 2012: 99.55
2013: Monash MBBS I

diligent18

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
  • School: Hogwarts
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 02:42:13 pm »
Derryn Hinch identifying sex offenders
Withdrawal of troops from Iraq
Qantas
Carbon Tax
The kid who got arrested in Bali

Do the issues have to be recent, as in from early December? And are we only allowed to focus on an issue debated in the Australian media?

Issues have to be from September 2011 onwards.  I want to find an issue that I can speak passionately about and one that my fellow classmates won't find dreary.
UMAT 2012: 99%tile   ATAR 2012: 99.55
2013: Monash MBBS I

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 03:02:17 pm »
+1
I agree with hala_madrid. The Oral is highly subjective. My friend chose this year to talk about the issue of opening a mosque close to Ground Zero. My teacher advised against it because its not an issue that is in the Australian media, or affects us directly, yet my friend did it, and she got a 17 out  of 20, at which my teacher said 'she was lucky to get that much, considering she did a topic I advised against.' Meaning my friends' choice of topic made a large impact on the marks she got. And someone else in a different class did the same topic and got full marks. Clearly her choice of topic made no impact on how the teacher marked it.

Also, I did the topic of selling uranium to India, and my teacher only rewarded it a 17 because it was too complex for my audience. She called it a thesis rather than a speech, which was true LMAO My point is, think about your audience- being a group of teenagers. Dont let your speech to be too formal, and too complex. Obviously a bit of formality is needed, but choose your words wisely so that it isnt too informal, yet to formal.

Yeah, that didnt give any help on what topic to choose LOL, but I hope it helps anyway :)
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

aabattery

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • AΩ The secret of success is constancy of purpose
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Scotch College
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »
+1
I did that topic - the Ground Zero mosque. My teacher loved it (hence proving more subjectivity I guess) - but the important thing was that I related the issue to Australia/explained the issue's impact on Australia. Hence, I linked it to the threat of terrorism and its impact on the lives of Australians. I think if you do that (link to Aus), you really can't go wrong...

Remember its a persuasive oral - persuading the student audience of your point of view.
  think about your audience- being a group of teenagers.
Its like debating but having an intro/main arguments/rebuttal all rolled into one speech.

For ideas, someone should try the ban of cattle trade from Aus to Indonesia as a topic. I think that happened in 2011...
Monash Clayton BMus(Pianoforte)/LLB DipLang (Indonesian) III    

Class of '11, 99.50, Music Performance (50)

Happy to help if you have any music/indo/legal questions! :)

------------------------------------------------------------

INDONESIAN SL and MUSIC PERFORMANCE TUITION Also Piano/Theory/Musicianship Lessons
PM or email me at [email protected] if interested :)

nubs

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »
+1
The bong ban that started today

^Has potential for jokes etc along with a decent argument
ATAR: 99.15

BSc @ UoM
2012-2014

ex oh ex oh

hello_kitty

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:22 pm »
hey guys what are your suggestions on my 3 topics?
ive been thinking between:
-  the Qantas issue
- the issue between public and private schools
- Should Asylum Seekers be put into detention centres

but im just not sure which one would provide stronger arguments? and provide a range of resources?

Also, could someone clarify rebuttals and counter arguments in my oral? im unsure if i use them in each paragraph?

Thanks Again! Any helpw ould be great.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »
hey guys what are your suggestions on my 3 topics?
ive been thinking between:
-  the Qantas issue
- the issue between public and private schools
- Should Asylum Seekers be put into detention centres

but im just not sure which one would provide stronger arguments? and provide a range of resources?

Also, could someone clarify rebuttals and counter arguments in my oral? im unsure if i use them in each paragraph?

Thanks Again! Any helpw ould be great.

Is your oral on any discussion topic or on one that is currently a contentious issue? If the latter, then I would steer clear of public vs private schools, as that has been going on for the last few decades if not longer.

Personally, I'd go with the QANTAS issue, simply because it is very contentious and there are many media resources. Furthermore, it is much simpler than the asylum seeker topic, which has many sides to it and might be a bit more complicated to find a solid contention.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-strikes-to-hit-10000-passengers-today/story-e6frfq80-1226178947905
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/qantas-strikes-deal-with-engineers/story-fn7j19iv-1226226178532
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/alan-joyce-termination-of-qantas-strikes-only-option/story-e6freuzi-1226180671376
http://www.cnngo.com/sydney/visit/qantas-dispute-strikes-heart-australian-aviations-future-035611

It might be also worthwhile reading any comments that follow those articles, as that might provide some of the stronger opinions/rebuttal that you're looking for :)

Hope that helps :)

zzzzzzzz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »
I'm thinking of doing the Murray Darling Basin, but not really sure what to focus on exactly.

CaiTheHuman

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • AstroBoy_
  • Respect: +6
  • School: RMIT VCE
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:27 am »
I'm considering doing something relating to Australia two-speed economy. On how economists are decieving us about the overall performance of the Australian Economy.
Bee leaf in your self.

Tragesty

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Wheelers Hill Secondary College
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:48 am »
Im doing the Qantas issue, as I'd been following it as it progressed out of pure interest, and am hoping I can use my knowledge of the issue  perhaps in BM some time this year.

greenbeans

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 10:19:19 am »
Doesn't at all matter what you pick and what evidence you use, so long as you ace the presentation.

^^^ totally agree with that! we did a practice oral before the actual one last year....
my practice one was on the st kilda schoolgirl.... and my actual one was on violence in the media and its effect on kids and their wellbeing.... not entirely intellectual topics at all, but i had more than my 2 cents to say about both of them.. i worked in all my linguistic devices and scored top marks so it comes to show that you work with what you've got... tweak your language to PERSUADE your audience, wow your teacher and DOMINATE the SAC!
VCE 2010/2011
English | English Language | French | Music Performance | Further Maths | Legal Studies

Bachelor of Arts, Monash
Linguistics | French | Journalism | Criminology