Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:39:25 pm

Author Topic: A Passage To India 2009  (Read 1237 times)  Share 

blondiecurls

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +15
A Passage To India 2009
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:36 am »
Who's doing E. M. Forster's A Passage To India this year? anyone?
I could really go with some help on the "feminist viewpoint" - can anyone explain it to me?
My teacher isn't particularly helpful... she just tells us that we would know these things if we worked harder...
HELP!!

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: A Passage To India 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:45:39 pm »
I'm doing A Passage To India butttt....your post worries me, because we haven't done anything on the feminist viewpoint.
My teacher is a little daft.
Extend on what you know?
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

iamdan08

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • VCE Survivor
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:41:50 pm »
I studied A Passage To India last year. I didn't do it in the exam, but perhaps i could give you a few ideas.

You could talk about Mrs Moore, a woman who throughout the novel gradually becomes a symbol of freedom and justice to the Indians. There is Adela, who conforms to the pressures of the British in India and their determination to segregate themselves from the natives. There is also the British woman in general, who are always seeking to discriminate the Indians and mock their way of life.

Basically you can contrast the different attitudes of woman in the novel and how they are portrayed by Forster. Some critics say that Forster imparted some of his personality and ideologies into the character of Mrs. Moore, who is portrayed as the "ideal" British woman. Forster wrote the novel from a different perspective to most literature at the time, which tended to write from a British supremacy viewpoint, and for Forster to not only write from a perspective focused mostly on the Indian injustice, but to portray a woman (Mrs. Moore) as the hero of the story was very different.

Not sure about how much of what i said is to do with the feminist viewpoint but hopefully this gives you a few things to think about.
2007-08 VCE - Accounting, Texts & Traditions, Methods, Chem, Physics, Lit

2011 Bachelor of Biomedicine (Completed) @ The University of Melbourne
2012 Doctor of Medicine (Second Year) @ The University of Melbourne

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:34:09 pm »
Tbqh, I don't see the feminist viewpoint as an important aspect of the text?
I mean, I wouldn't choose to base the contention of my essay on the feminist viewpoint, at all.
I would find things in the passages that related to things that give more depth into the insights of Forster and the novel as a whole.

I have a practice exam SAC on this in two weeks, it's going to go amazingly well :/
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM