Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 03:23:25 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348607 times)  Share 

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:51 pm »
Thank you for your help :D
Hey anotherworld2b
I don't think this is in the Biology Syllabus since there isn't any need for bio students to know the hormonal regulation for ovulation/menstruation cycle.
I did find a video that may assist though
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDatCchpus

If this doesn't help then I'm sorry, but you may wanna head over to the Senior Science Board or another science related board for more assistance

Hope this helps
Skidous

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2016, 10:03:01 pm »
hey i was wondering if anyone did/does communication what are the functions of each section of the brain? and whats action potential?

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2016, 10:13:25 pm »
I do communication
For sections of the brain
The Frontal Lobe deals with logic and reasoning
The Temporal Lobe deals with hearing
The Occipital Lobe deals with sight
The Cerebellum deals with motor functions and balance
The Medulla Oblongata or Brain Stem is used for many functions of the autonomic system such as breathing rates and heartbeat

Action Potential is a nerve impulse that is triggered by a stimuli large enough to open voltage gated channels in the nerve cells.

If you need help with how this action potential occurs and the steps let me know

Hope this helps, Skidous
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2016, 10:15:45 pm »
+1
hey i was wondering if anyone did/does communication what are the functions of each section of the brain?
Different lobes:
Frontal - higher order thinking, logical reasoning, planning, motor control
Parietal - Registering sensory information, spatial orientation, perceiving shapes and designs, reading/writing (partially)
Occipital -  Receiving and processing visual information
Temporal - Memory, auditory perception, visual perception

There are also different cortices; it is very simple to google them for explanations of functions.
and whats action potential?
An action potential is the changing of electrical potential in a neuron which happens as a result of neuron de/polarisation. The potential travels down the axon of a neuron and causes changes in the electrical charge/polarity. An action potential can trigger a pre-synaptic neuron to release neurotransmitters to diffuse across a synaptic gap, which bind to receptors in post-synaptic dendrites. (This is a pretty simplistic overview. I didn't do hsc or vce bio so I'm not sure what details you need to know exactly)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:17:36 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2016, 10:16:48 pm »
thank you :)

lha

• Trendsetter
  • School: Lambton High School
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2016, 03:42:54 pm »
What animals is everyone learning for maintaing a balance?
--
How many past papers is recommended before hsc?
--
Does anyons know of any videos on youtube that explains meiosis clearly? Im so confused with the concept

Mod: Merged triple post.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:36:41 pm by Joseph41 »

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2016, 03:48:17 pm »
+1
I like this video about Meiosis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toWK0fIyFlY
--
I'm doing the red kangaroo and frilled neck lizard for Maintaining a balance

Mod: Merged double post.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:37:39 pm by Joseph41 »

Ayyddaan

• Adventurer
  • Is this meant to be a motivational quote?
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:29 pm »
+1
How many past papers is recommended before hsc?

AS MANY AS POSSIBLE - at the bare minimum, do ALL the HSC past papers from 2010 - 2015.
HSC Subjects:
(Adv) English
Ext 2 Math
Ext 1 Math
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2016, 04:12:37 pm »
Having trouble with this dot-point:

9.3.4.1 - Discuss evidence for the mutagenic nature of radiation

Can anyone help me out?

specclee

• Adventurer
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2016, 04:26:24 pm »
Having trouble with this dot-point:

9.3.4.1 - Discuss evidence for the mutagenic nature of radiation

Can anyone help me out?
I have two examples for this dot point:
1) Survivors of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (which occurred in 1945, towards the end of World War II) suffered physical mutations as a result of the radioactive output of the nuclear explosion. Children born to survivors showed many defects, in particular a microcephalic condition (development of a very small head and failure for brain to grow)
2) In 1926, H. G. Muller performed an experiment in which he irradiated the reproductive cells of fruit flies. He found that the irradiated flies had an incidence of mutation 150 times higher than control flies that had not been irradiated. If he reduced the dosage, the frequency of mutations also decreased. His experiments provided direct evidence of the link between exposure to ionising radiation and mutations.
There's a lot more evidence to prove the mutagenic nature of radiation but I just stick with these two because they're pretty easy to remember. Hope this helps!

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »
I have two examples for this dot point:
1) Survivors of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (which occurred in 1945, towards the end of World War II) suffered physical mutations as a result of the radioactive output of the nuclear explosion. Children born to survivors showed many defects, in particular a microcephalic condition (development of a very small head and failure for brain to grow)
2) In 1926, H. G. Muller performed an experiment in which he irradiated the reproductive cells of fruit flies. He found that the irradiated flies had an incidence of mutation 150 times higher than control flies that had not been irradiated. If he reduced the dosage, the frequency of mutations also decreased. His experiments provided direct evidence of the link between exposure to ionising radiation and mutations.
There's a lot more evidence to prove the mutagenic nature of radiation but I just stick with these two because they're pretty easy to remember. Hope this helps!

Ugh, thank you so much. Yeah it does help, I didn't know whether we were meant to include examples of mutagens (like UV and stuff) as well. Thank you again.

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2016, 05:30:41 pm »
With reference to the dot point in maintaining a balance - "Compare response of named Australian ectothermic and endothermic organisms to changes in ambient temp and explain how these response assist in temp regulation", is an adaptation the same as a response or are they different?

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2016, 09:28:56 pm »
With reference to the dot point in maintaining a balance - "Compare response of named Australian ectothermic and endothermic organisms to changes in ambient temp and explain how these response assist in temp regulation", is an adaptation the same as a response or are they different?

From what I understand, the response is a result of the adaptation. From my example, the Red Kangaroo places it's tail underneath it's body when the ambient temperature rises to reduce SA:V ratio, and decrease heat absorption from the sun - the behavioural adaptation allows for the response (placing tail under body) in order to decrease temperature and regulate temperature. So they are kind of two peas in a pod to an extent.

Happy to clarify if this doesn't make sense aha.

evey-cox

• Fresh Poster
  • School: PLC Sydney
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2016, 10:23:43 am »
I was doing the 2015 HSC biology paper and I was confused with Q26: sugar is transported in vascular tissue in plants and animals. Contrast the structure and workings of ONE named plant tissue and ONE named animal tissue used to transport sugar. And I'm not sure how to answer the animal tissue portion of the question and would love help, cheers :)

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2016, 11:05:21 am »
I was doing the 2015 HSC biology paper and I was confused with Q26: sugar is transported in vascular tissue in plants and animals. Contrast the structure and workings of ONE named plant tissue and ONE named animal tissue used to transport sugar. And I'm not sure how to answer the animal tissue portion of the question and would love help, cheers :)

The wording is kind of weird, I remember doing this a few weeks ago. The animal tissue portion one is an artery - one of the key words in that was vascular which is just relating to vessels. So the answer would just be artery, the structure (three layers of muscle and elastic fibre, closed system etc), and the workings (the heart muscles forcing the blood around the body under pressure, which transports the sugar)

Hope this helps.