Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 05:18:52 pm

Author Topic: When are results important, does my course have honors?  (Read 3118 times)  Share 

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: When are results important, does my course have honors?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:09 pm »
+1
Lol I feel so gullible now :(

Michelle94

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Geelong Grammar School
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:26 am »
Why would you catch the shuttle bus, when you can just continue sitting on the train, you'll go through Caulfield, Oakleigh and then Huntingdale, that's 3 stations - takes like less than 10 mins, the bus to Monash Uni then takes like 3 mins. Most peak hour trains don't stop at Murumbeena, Hughesdale and that other one in between.

So it's only adding 30 mins onto daily travel time.

Like, not a MASSIVE commute by any means. But I guess I understand though, some won't want to travel an extra 30 mins, that's OK.

Yeah I live outside of Geelong as well so it's 45 just to get to the Geelong station!!

Michelle94

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Geelong Grammar School
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:04 am »
Would it be better to do masters at uom, or commerce honors at monash

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:35 am »
Why would you catch the shuttle bus, when you can just continue sitting on the train, you'll go through Caulfield, Oakleigh and then Huntingdale, that's 3 stations - takes like less than 10 mins, the bus to Monash Uni then takes like 3 mins. Most peak hour trains don't stop at Murumbeena, Hughesdale and that other one in between.

So it's only adding 30 mins onto daily travel time.

Like, not a MASSIVE commute by any means. But I guess I understand though, some won't want to travel an extra 30 mins, that's OK.

Are you ok bro? I take that train everyday and I'm pretty sure it goes something ridiculous like Caulfield, Carnegie, Murumbeena, Hughesdale, then Oaekleigh before reaching Huntingdale. Might be missing even one or two more.

Edit: Just realized you got a little mixed up, most peak hours trains don't stop between South Yarra and Malvern. If I remember correctly, at least for peak hour to travel back to the city, only one train would go direct from Oakleigh to Caulfield.

The walk from the station to the bus stop then takes another 2-3 minutes, not to mention the waiting time for each bus which can take up to 10 minutes if you're unlucky, 3 minutes average?

People often forget that the waiting/transferring times are such a huge % of travel time, probably more than what most people expect.

Then it's another four minutes to the uni campus - bus loop which is not exactly in the centre of the uni.

However, I agree with you - if you can get into Commerce, if you're travelling as far as Caulfield already, you might as well bite the bullet and go to Clayton. I have a few friends from Geelong that do. (one)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:55:54 am by zhenzhenzhen »
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 11:50:50 am »
Would it be better to do masters at uom, or commerce honors at monash

TT told me that after undergrad melb is much better than monash

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 11:54:04 am »
TT told me that after undergrad melb is much better than monash
Not ALWAYS though. It depends on what is best for YOUR situation (connections/preferences etc).

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »
+1
Three pieces of advice:

1. Honours are very useful for PhDs. Masters are generally better for employment. (correct me if I'm wrong here)

2. You don't have to do the same honours as your degree title. You can easily do BBus [3 years] then a BComm(Hon) [1 year]. The end result is you get two bachelor degrees, one with honours. It almost feels like cheating eh?

3. UoM is generally a bit better than Monash at postgrad. However, if you have already built your network and rapport with academics at Monash, there's really no reason to switch. The important things are the people, not the university brand.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »
Are you ok bro? I take that train everyday and I'm pretty sure it goes something ridiculous like Caulfield, Carnegie, Murumbeena, Hughesdale, then Oaekleigh before reaching Huntingdale. Might be missing even one or two more.

Edit: Just realized you got a little mixed up, most peak hours trains don't stop between South Yarra and Malvern. If I remember correctly, at least for peak hour to travel back to the city, only one train would go direct from Oakleigh to Caulfield.

The walk from the station to the bus stop then takes another 2-3 minutes, not to mention the waiting time for each bus which can take up to 10 minutes if you're unlucky, 3 minutes average?

People often forget that the waiting/transferring times are such a huge % of travel time, probably more than what most people expect.

Then it's another four minutes to the uni campus - bus loop which is not exactly in the centre of the uni.

However, I agree with you - if you can get into Commerce, if you're travelling as far as Caulfield already, you might as well bite the bullet and go to Clayton. I have a few friends from Geelong that do. (one)

Yeah you're probably right, miscalculation by me, sorry! But I completely agree with you though, if you're willing to travel as far as Caulfield, you might as well bite the bullet and go to Clayton, like I understand if you actually want to go to Caulfield, but if you're already wanting to go to Clayton, the travel time shouldn't deter!

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 02:44:26 pm »
+3
This is mainly for commerce and more specifically for finance.

1. UoM is indeed more reputable than Monash in its postgrad finance course, their staff are more reowned with more coming from prestigous US universities and ofcourse it is ranked higher. However there are several very important things to consider:

- If you have already have a strong connection with a group of academics at Monash and they have good backgrounds in the US who then can write very strong recommendation letters for you and can contact their colleagues there, then you should stay. It is very hard to build up these connections with professors in a brand new environment.

- Also the masters of finance at uom is a 2 year course whereas the honours in finance at monash is 1 year, for uom masters, you can either do a 2 year coursework degree where as the honours at monash is research based. If you are aiming for PhD, research >>>>>>>> coursework. Having said that, you CAN transfer into the research based masters of commerce (finance) after 1 year of coursework, however you need to ask yourself, do you really need another year of coursework when you've pretty much learnt everything in undergrad? 1 year > 2 years esp when you are aiming for PhD's, the younger the better as you are leaving yourself with more opportunities in the future.

- You should also have a look at research interests before you make the move, for me, there were quite a few professors here at Monash that have very similar research interests like me, especially in quant fi, whereas not so much at uom, so make sure you have a look at all the professors research details before you make the transition.

So yeah, those above reasons are pretty much I rejected the scholarship for masters at uom and stayed at monash, there were a few more small factors here and there but those were the main ones
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 03:41:25 pm »
+2
This is mainly for commerce and more specifically for finance.

1. UoM is indeed more reputable than Monash in its postgrad finance course, their staff are more reowned with more coming from prestigous US universities and ofcourse it is ranked higher. However there are several very important things to consider:

- If you have already have a strong connection with a group of academics at Monash and they have good backgrounds in the US who then can write very strong recommendation letters for you and can contact their colleagues there, then you should stay. It is very hard to build up these connections with professors in a brand new environment.

- Also the masters of finance at uom is a 2 year course whereas the honours in finance at monash is 1 year, for uom masters, you can either do a 2 year coursework degree where as the honours at monash is research based. If you are aiming for PhD, research >>>>>>>> coursework. Having said that, you CAN transfer into the research based masters of commerce (finance) after 1 year of coursework, however you need to ask yourself, do you really need another year of coursework when you've pretty much learnt everything in undergrad? 1 year > 2 years esp when you are aiming for PhD's, the younger the better as you are leaving yourself with more opportunities in the future.

- You should also have a look at research interests before you make the move, for me, there were quite a few professors here at Monash that have very similar research interests like me, especially in quant fi, whereas not so much at uom, so make sure you have a look at all the professors research details before you make the transition.

So yeah, those above reasons are pretty much I rejected the scholarship for masters at uom and stayed at monash, there were a few more small factors here and there but those were the main ones

Excellent advice here. However, this advice is for those looking for a PhD in economics (or something of that calibre).

If the student wishes to get a vocational PG degree to enter a corporation, then MComm at UoM could be a very, very good choice.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015