Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:01:24 pm

Author Topic: Hominin evolution  (Read 574 times)  Share 

Adam_๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿงพ

• Trailblazer
  • Adam(⌐■_■)
  • Respect: 0
Hominin evolution
« on: July 25, 2020, 11:53:53 am »
I'm a little confused about what we need to know for this dot point in the study design. My main concern is whether we need to know about different extinct hominins, when they existed, important features etc. Cheers!
major trends in hominin evolution from the genus Australopithecus to the genus Homo including structural, functional and cognitive changes.
2019 - Environmental Science: 34
2020 - English: 38
2020 - Methods: 40
2020 - Data Analytics: 40
2020 - Polish: 38
2020 - Biology: 39
ATAR: 93.30

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: Hominin evolution
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:56:48 pm »
+5
I'm a little confused about what we need to know for this dot point in the study design. My main concern is whether we need to know about different extinct hominins, when they existed, important features etc. Cheers!
major trends in hominin evolution from the genus Australopithecus to the genus Homo including structural, functional and cognitive changes.

You don't need to know specific characteristics of any of the species, like their features or anything, only the general trend of their traits over time, eg increasing brain to body size etc.

This is an excerpt from the VCAA Bio FAQs:

Question: Are students required to know which species was the first to use fire?
Answer: No. Rather than specifics such as which species was the first to use fire, students should examine evolutionary trends over time. Students should understand that the different structural, functional and cognitive changes over time (have led to cultural evolution).

(Minus the cultural evolution part this year)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:12:35 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Adam_๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿงพ

• Trailblazer
  • Adam(⌐■_■)
  • Respect: 0
Re: Hominin evolution
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 01:58:12 pm »
+1
You don't need to know specific characteristics of any of the species, like their features or anything, only the general trend of their traits over time, eg increasing brain to body size etc.

This is an excerpt from the VCAA Bio FAQs:

Question: Are students required to know which species was the first to use fire?
Answer: No. Rather than specifics such as which species was the first to use fire, students should examine evolutionary trends over time. Students should understand that the different structural, functional and cognitive changes over time (have led to cultural evolution).

(Minus the cultural evolution part this year)

Thank you!!
2019 - Environmental Science: 34
2020 - English: 38
2020 - Methods: 40
2020 - Data Analytics: 40
2020 - Polish: 38
2020 - Biology: 39
ATAR: 93.30