Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 03:35:41 am

Author Topic: Mod B Help - William Butler Yeats  (Read 2577 times)

jaiezou

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Mod B Help - William Butler Yeats
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:21:45 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm struggling to formulate any type of response lol. What does it mean by Yeats' concerns? How should structure my essay? Do i have to compare and contrast or how should i go about analysing the poems with balance?

I really suck at English so any help will be greatly appreciated! :D
'
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:24:21 pm by jaiezou »

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Mod B Help - William Butler Yeats
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:08:25 pm »
Hey guys,

How would you tackle this question: Through his poetry, Yeats responds to the concerns of his personal and social context, in powerful, evocative ways. Do you agree? Use two poems. (my class has analysed William Yeats's 'The Wild Swans at Coole' and 'Easter 1916')

I'm struggling to formulate any type of response lol. What does it mean by his concerns? How should structure my essay? Do i have to compare and contrast or how should i go about analysing the poems with balance?

'

Hey I didn't do Yeats but... concerns refers to the issues in his time that he was responding to. For instance, in Julius Caesar Shakespeare was responding to Elizabeth's inevitable departure from the throne. I structured mine according to text with a couple of integrating sentences in between eg. likening or contrasting how each deal with leadership for instance within the same paragraph. Hope that helped :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

jaiezou

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:30:21 pm »
Hey I didn't do Yeats but... concerns refers to the issues in his time that he was responding to. For instance, in Julius Caesar Shakespeare was responding to Elizabeth's inevitable departure from the throne. I structured mine according to text with a couple of integrating sentences in between eg. likening or contrasting how each deal with leadership for instance within the same paragraph. Hope that helped :)

Thanks for replying! Im still a little confused with structuring the body paragraphs and juggling between two texts. I usually adopt the PETAL structure but i think its not enough for this module as context is needed plus the mentioning of textual integrity. help?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:51:01 pm »
+2
Thanks for replying! Im still a little confused with structuring the body paragraphs and juggling between two texts. I usually adopt the PETAL structure but i think its not enough for this module as context is needed plus the mentioning of textual integrity. help?

Hey there!

I think PETAL will be suitable to go and you can interweave context as you go. The focus of this module is textual integrity though so context should be mentioned only if it’s relevant to textual integrity.

If I would structure the essay based on your poems, I would approach it in something like this;

- Introduction
- Poem 1
- Poem 2+ Link to Poem 1
- Poem 2
- Poem 1+ Link to Poem 2
- Poem 1 + Poem 2
- Conclusion

I’m not too sure of how it should be approached for sure since I’m not doing poetry for Module B so just check and confirm what you should do. I hope this helps! If you would like feedback for an essay, you can flick me a mention or PM me  :)

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:25:04 am »
Hey there!

You've been given great advice above :)

If you're struggling with structure, have a look at some of the Yeats essays and notes in this free downloadable note section. I've put my own notes on Yeats there too!

Yeats' poetry is so dense that the possibilities to explore in your structure are seamingly endless. You have many options for angles :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:52 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

I'm struggling to formulate any type of response lol. What does it mean by Yeats' concerns? How should structure my essay? Do i have to compare and contrast or how should i go about analysing the poems with balance?

'

Hey! I'm also studying Yeats and as Elyse mentioned, there are lots of things you can discuss regarding Yeats' concerns :) Since he was a early Modernist poet living in the midst of WW1 and political crisis in Ireland (which links nicely to context), some of his key concerns were mortality, ageing, and change. In terms of structure and content of paragraphs, you have to discuss how his poems demonstrate this - correct me if I'm wrong but since Module B is a critical study, I believe the essay is more focused on the technicalities of the poems rather than comparisons between them (unlike a Module A essay). You still have to discuss the poems' similarities, but not to the same extent as Module A.

Hope this helped! ;D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

Jamuna sundaram

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »
Attachments and slides