Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 04:56:43 am

Author Topic: Studying - help  (Read 1245 times)

deprezj

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Studying - help
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
I've read so many places that when you're studying or doing school work you need rewards and breaks. What kind of rewards (apart from food bc lol at me trying to be healthy) could you suggest. When I watch an episode of a show as a reward I end up watching 50 episodes and lost all time to do work.

Please help me. I'm good with suggestions so please anything you can think of could help.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:58:39 pm by deprezj »

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
Re: Studying - help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:07 pm »
+2
For me, I like to think of the end goal and what I want to achieve as a reward but it’s not instant so may not work if you’re impatient

Maybe your reward can be something like replying back to a friends text, reading a chapter of a book you like, watching a YouTube video on what you’re studying, having a piece of your favourite fruit (since you’re trying to be healthy), playing a board game with your siblings, maybe making some tea/coffee and sitting outside for a little bit, getting an early nights sleep.

I also personally like to use spending time with my family as a reward or giving myself a pamper session (might not work as well for guys).

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:07 pm »
+1
I've read so many places that when you're studying or doing school work you need rewards and breaks. What kind of rewards (apart from food bc lol at me trying to be healthy) could you suggest. When I watch an episode of a show as a reward I end up watching 50 episodes and lost all time to do work.

Please help me. I'm good with suggestions so please anything you can think of could help.
I've gotta say that just going and reading a book helps for me. It didn't matter what the reward was, as long as i was getting away from studying for a bit.
Reading a book is probably my biggest suggestion, because it is less addictive then say tv shows or video games.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:46:39 pm »
+3

Hey there!
If you're struggling to maintain a balance between school work and breaks, maybe try the Pomodoro technique! You basically set up a timer where you do 25 minutes of work and a 5 minute break. Usually, this is good for those who really struggle to stay concentrated for a long period of time. Personally, I would recommend doing 50 minutes of work and a 10 minute break to mirror a period at school (since I have six 50 minute periods). If your school has periods going up to an hour, I wouldn't recommend doing 1 hour work and 10 minute breaks because I think it's too much for one sitting- 50:10, I think, is a good balance.

To keep myself on track, I would use the Be Focused app because you can set the timer yourself and add tasks to each 50 minute session (although it's only available on IOS). If you have it on your laptop, the timer will be placed on the menu bar and you can see the timer count down. You can also use the Forest: Stay Focused app (available on Android and IOS) because you can set the timer and you can't exit the app, keeping you off your phone (although it's a bit annoying if my mum calls me and I'm forced to leave the app)- if you finish a study session you grow a tree and if you get distracted, the tree dies, hence the name 'Forest'!

As for breaks, I would avoid getting on social media or watching any videos- you lose track of time. I would suggest using the break to go to the bathroom, rehydrate yourself or go grab a piece of fruit.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW