Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 09:26:01 pm

Author Topic: make a new forum...  (Read 4892 times)  Share 

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
Re: make a new forum...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 02:30:47 pm »
but anyway, back to the original point. just because this is a VCE message board doesn't mean there shouldn't be uni forums on here as well. i like eriny's idea for an arts page too.

it would be easy to just generally make a university forum with several child forums - science, arts, commerce/economics/finance, engineering and so on. these forums could serve several purposes:
- yr12 students doing UMEP/MUEP/other university extension courses could post in them, as they currently do in the UMEP maths forum
- yr12 students interested in applying for those degrees could post in them asking for advice from former yr12 students now at uni, as they currently do in the general university discussion forum
- former yr12 students now at uni doing those degrees (such as myself  :) ) could post in them discussing courses, posing problems to each other, comparing different courses and all that

of course there could still be a general university discussion page for things that don't fit into particular degrees, such as how to apply for uni, discussing the merits of different universities, staying at colleges, etc etc.

but in general i think that a setup like this would be quite useful. it would increase the incentive of former yr12s to stay on FSN while at uni, and would be quite beneficial to them (people stuck on, say, a 1st year physics assignment at uni could post on one of the forums asking for help).
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 03:22:22 pm »
I have no problem with it. The more people we can cater for, ultimately the better. I could just see enwiabe having a problem with it, because its a VCE forum (thinks back to when a user asked for a University field).

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 04:45:46 pm »
I have no problem with university discussion. I think it would actually be very profitable for FSN to retain its outgoing VCE'ers... I just don't want to focus on it until the VCE part is up. As soon as the full site goes live, I'll work on a sensible way of structuring the university discussion forums.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 11:07:17 pm »
There we go, I was half right :)