Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 04:50:06 pm

Author Topic: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!  (Read 286422 times)

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
Re: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!
« Reply #300 on: October 08, 2016, 07:15:11 pm »
My suggestions:

I think that last bit with the clay is great. Except, I wouldn't do it in that moment. It's too convenient that she has some clay nearby. I think it works best if you move into class the next day, and you tell everyone to start their work, and Clarity brings out the clay. That's more powerful because it implies that the teacher's words have really touched her and transformed her way of thinking (hello discovery!!!). I also like the way you've used Clarity's name as a careful choice :)

I definitely think you should keep this piece, I think it's great. I enjoyed it, and I think the simplicity is something that works in its favour :) I think the only thing to tweak is just my small suggestion about describing the class, and then the ending. This works well with a lot of different discovery aspects. I do really think that the ending needs to work hard to present discovery as transformative, expressive, and changing of perspectives. I think that's where the bulk of your discovery expression sits, so it's important to leave the marker with that sense of rich discovery! :)

Thanks so much! Yeah I was always unsure with the ending but was too worried about making it longer because i am generally not a very quick writer and I usually leave space so that i'm able to adapt it to the stimulus.
I really like the idea of resetting the scene in the classroom however wouldn't having another time jump in such a short piece be a bad idea?
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #301 on: October 08, 2016, 07:16:13 pm »
Thanks so much! Yeah I was always unsure with the ending but was too worried about making it longer because i am generally not a very quick writer and I usually leave space so that i'm able to adapt it to the stimulus.
I really like the idea of resetting the scene in the classroom however wouldn't having another time jump in such a short piece be a bad idea?

I don't think so! It's not as though you're introducing a new environment - that might be a bit chaotic. Instead, you're looking at moving back to a previous environment. So your story is framed in a circular motion, which can be very satisfying for a reader! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #302 on: October 08, 2016, 07:18:08 pm »
I don't think so! It's not as though you're introducing a new environment - that might be a bit chaotic. Instead, you're looking at moving back to a previous environment. So your story is framed in a circular motion, which can be very satisfying for a reader! :)

Ah true, didn't think of it in that way. Thanks again!!  :) :)
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #303 on: October 08, 2016, 07:20:08 pm »
Hi! If you think I have missed your creative piece for feedback, please let me know! Because I think I am up to date now but I want to be sure no one has missed out! Happy studies :)

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #304 on: October 08, 2016, 07:29:33 pm »
Hey Elyse I think I have 30 more posts from my others so is there a chance I could post my creative now and get feedback tonight.

Thankyou so much Guys!! We all adore your guys help!, Would you please also provide a mark out of 15 aswell please.

Thanks,

Cole had been waiting for this moment his whole life. Graduating Mr. Presley’s class of 2078, he had been studying the art of deciphering facial emotions and law enforcement against those who betray the rules set by Mr. Presley.  The world was at its best when crime thought was severely punishable and was determined by the interactive system, Mr Presley. Here Cole was, teeth glaring against the vicious wind, lined up ready to receive his qualification report. The ash grey sky happily sat upon the horizon, making the park seem more like a graveyard site, being lit by only simple streetlights. This initiation was being screened everywhere around the world and would show his movement into the Presley Law enforcement group. Once his name was announced, Cole stood up with all his might and confidently strode towards the commander.

It was 2:05, as the time projected on the walls of his decrepit apartment. A week had passed since the graduation and today was going to be his first shift being a part of the task force. Cole was feeling sick, really sick. This was all new, not many humans could get this job. His generation had seen it all; society had nearly discovered the cure for age though being restricted to 200 years. For God’s Sake Cole was living proof, it was his seventy sixth year of living and he felt great. But this…. This frightened him more. The bed croaked as he rose, and a voice came to life “Still three hours and forty-five minutes of sleep left Sir". Cole walked over to one of the dim walls and said "Wall three, Activate window". A giant glass frame appeared where the wall was, providing outlook into the busy metropolis of Tokyo. The black fog rested upon the top of the skyscrapers casting a dark shadow, constantly fighting against the city streetlights. It was always dark, even when the sun was visible. There is a tale that the sky reflected Mr Presley's emotions towards civilization as they committed crimes. The city was not silent, the ringing of sirens were present indicating that some sort of task force was assisting the city in some way.  Society had grown dangerously violent which had assisted the rule making of no crimes are to be imagined, creating a positive impact on the world. Cole walked back towards the bed, falling towards the mattress closing his eyes.

It actually was not that bad, The day had gone smoothly. Cole was introduced to the team, Roland being the team leader. Cole had been acquainted to a watch like device which ran the Presley simulation. He was instructed how a normal human has anywhere between 180-220 imagination power, anything more is lethal. Roland informed Cole that “Crime had cut down by at least 30%  and Mr Presley was the genius who created a system, measuring brain levels to determine imagination statistics telling users if someone had recently thought of a dangerous crime.  There were no interferences at all, but then suddenly an unexpected bell shook the building. The staff immediately ran towards the exit. “Follow me”, encouraged Roland. Each member had their own laser-bike which assisted with traffic as well as fast speed. “I have no idea how to ride this” announced Cole, “Well you will learn!” replied one of the members aggressively. “Just put your hands here and use your feet to shift through the gears”. They were off, this definitely had to be the best feeling Cole had ever felt, his brown hair surfing the grey wind. He was ecstatic, following the other four motorbikes which glued into a pack heading towards the forest. Finally arriving at the destination everyone split into groups following different paths moving through the green bushy terrain.

A rustle in the tree’s grabbed his attention. There. A glimpse of someone running the in shadows, a small figure. The watch glowed aggressively and started to heat up. "Enemy of state detected, imagination level 308 out of 223" alerted the device. "Quick follow me” said the squad leader. They ran through the forest using the watch as a navigation system, the faster the beeps the closer the danger was. A disembodied ghastly sound echoed off the branches in attempt to throw of the watch’s scent. There she was again, running from us. It was weird, constant images of deja vu appeared as everyone was running in circles, treading the same path as if the forest was attempting to protect its flower.

The mysterious girl scurried into a secluded tree canopy. She was cornered. Roland took the lead and walked towards her, his coat flying briskly behind. He was a couple of meters from her when he raised his arm and once again the watch buzzed to life. “Abigail Spencer, Age 11, Parental Status - Recently Deceased, imagination level 311 out of 223” suggested the device. “HE.. He.. Killed my Parrentss” cried Abigail as she pointed towards a trail of smoke wafting towards the sky in a distance.  One of the squad members spoke into his watch and magically the sound of sirens filled the air moving closer towards the smoke. “That isn't my problem, you have been imagining murder, that is punishable by death” replied Roland. Cole’s heart skipped a beat, Roland wasn't serious was he?. The girl did nothing wrong, she probably imagined herself killing her parents murderer.

Cole ran to the girl’s side, tell us what happened. “There was a masked man, he ran into our house and demanded money from my mother. Dad ran downstairs and punched him, but the robber got up and shot them both. Screamingly, mother used her last breath and kicked him, telling me to run and not look back. As I ran away I heard another bang and picked up speed.” This is not what I Imagined, this cannot be happening. “I’m very sorry Abagail, you cannot be fixed” said Roland as he snickered. They were evil they cannot be doing this, they had forgotten the true intentions and purpose of the group or is this what they had been doing all along?. Excitement was bursting from Roland's eyes like lanterns crackling away at the midnight sky. Cole could see the growing estrangement from this group. He was beginning to understand, they are bloodhounds. They kill for adrenaline, no matter the cost. Mr Presley had done this, he has corrupted them. “Welcome to Mr Presley's Cole” announced Roland as he walked towards Abigail, gun in hand while the other three members grinned. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:30:12 pm by jamonwindeyer »
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #305 on: October 08, 2016, 07:49:53 pm »
Hey Elyse I think I have 30 more posts from my others so is there a chance I could post my creative now and get feedback tonight.

Thankyou so much Guys!! We all adore your guys help!, Would you please also provide a mark out of 15 aswell please.

Thanks,

Hi :) Here's your feedback:

Spoiler
Cole had been waiting for this moment his whole life. Graduating Mr. Presley’s class of 2078, he had been studying the art of deciphering facial emotions and law enforcement against those who betray the rules set by Mr. Presley.  The world was at its best when crime thought was severely punishable and was determined by the interactive system, Mr Presley. Here Cole was, teeth glaring against the vicious wind, lined up ready to receive his qualification report. The ash grey sky happily sat upon the horizon, making the park seem more like a graveyard site, being lit by only simple streetlights. This initiation was being screened everywhere around the world and would show his movement into the Presley Law enforcement group. Once his name was announced, Cole stood up with all his might and confidently strode towards the commander. Just the right amount of language variation here to create what seems like a bizarre state of affairs!

It was 2:05, as the time projected on the walls of his decrepit apartment. A week had passed since the graduation and today was going to be his first shift being a part of the task force. Cole was feeling sick, really sick. This was all new, not many humans could get this job. His generation had seen it all; society had nearly discovered the cure for age LOL cure for age - love it. though being restricted to 200 years. For God’s Sake Cole was living proof, it was his seventy sixth year of living and he felt great. But this…. This frightened him more. The bed croaked as he rose, and a voice came to life “Still three hours and forty-five minutes of sleep left Sir". Cole walked over to one of the dim walls and said "Wall three, Activate window". A giant glass frame appeared where the wall was, providing outlook into the busy metropolis of Tokyo. The black fog rested upon the top of the skyscrapers casting a dark shadow, constantly fighting against the city streetlights. It was always dark, even when the sun was visible. There is a tale that the sky reflected Mr Presley's emotions towards civilization as they committed crimes. The city was not silent, the ringing of sirens were present indicating that some sort of task force was assisting the city in some way.  Society had grown dangerously violent since? which had assisted the rule making of no crimes are to be imagined, creating a positive impact on the world. Cole walked back towards the bed, falling towards the mattress closing his eyes.

It actually was not that bad, The day had gone smoothly. Cole was introduced to the team, Roland being the team leader. Cole had been acquainted to a watch like device which ran the Presley simulation. He was instructed how a normal human has anywhere between 180-220 imagination power, anything more is lethal. You're explaining the dystopic world really well. Roland informed Cole that “Crime had cut down by at least 30%  and Mr Presley was the genius who created a system, measuring brain levels to determine imagination statistics telling users if someone had recently thought of a dangerous crime.  There were no interferences at all, but then suddenly an unexpected bell shook the building. The staff immediately ran towards the exit. New line for a new speaker.“Follow me”, encouraged Roland. Each member had their own laser-bike which assisted with traffic as well as fast speed. New line “I have no idea how to ride this” announced Cole, “Well you will learn!” replied one of the members aggressively. New line “Just put your hands here and use your feet to shift through the gears”. They were off, this definitely had to be the best feeling Cole had ever felt, his brown hair surfing the grey wind. Excellent imagery! He was ecstatic, following the other four motorbikes which glued into a pack heading towards the forest. Finally arriving at the destination, comma everyone split into groups following different paths moving through the green bushy terrain.

A rustle in the tree’s no apostrophe here grabbed his attention. There. A glimpse of someone running the in in the shadows, a small figure. The watch glowed aggressively and started to heat up. "Enemy of state detected, imagination level 308 out of 223" alerted the device. "Quick follow me” said the squad leader. They ran through the forest using the watch as a navigation system, the faster the beeps the closer the danger was. A disembodied ghastly sound echoed off the branches in attempt to throw of the watch’s scent. There she was again, running from us. It was weird, constant images of deja vu appeared as everyone was running in circles, treading the same path as if the forest was attempting to protect its flower. "It was weird" is a strange thing for a third person narrator to say, I'd consider rephrasing :)

The mysterious girl scurried into a secluded tree canopy. She was cornered. Roland took the lead and walked towards her, his coat flying briskly behind. He was a couple of meters from her when he raised his arm and once again the watch buzzed to life. New line “Abigail Spencer, Age 11, Parental Status - Recently Deceased, imagination level 311 out of 223” suggested the device. New line “HE.. He.. Killed my Parrentss” cried Abigail as she pointed towards a trail of smoke wafting towards the sky in a distance.  One of the squad members spoke into his watch and magically the sound of sirens filled the air moving closer towards the smoke. New line “That isn't my problem, you have been imagining murder, that is punishable by death” replied Roland. Cole’s heart skipped a beat, Roland wasn't serious was he?. The girl did nothing wrong, she probably imagined herself killing her parentspossessive apostrophe behind the s murderer.

Cole ran to the girl’s side, tell us what happened. new line “There was a masked man, he ran into our house and demanded money from my mother. Dad It's standing out to me that mum is mother and dad is dad - I'd be more likely to call both mum and dad or mother and father.ran downstairs and punched him, but the robber got up and shot them both. Screamingly, mother used her last breath and kicked him, telling me to run and not look back. As I ran away I heard another bang and picked up speed.” This is not what I Imagined, this cannot be happening. “I’m very sorry Abagail, you cannot be fixed” said Roland as he snickered. They were evil punctuation required here they cannot be doing this, they had forgotten the true intentions and purpose of the group or is this what they had been doing all along?. Excitement was bursting from Roland's eyes like lanterns crackling away at the midnight sky. Cole could see the growing estrangement from this group. He was beginning to understand, they are bloodhounds. They kill for adrenaline, no matter the cost. Mr Presley had done this, he has corrupted them. New line“Welcome to Mr Presley's Cole” announced Roland as he walked towards Abigail, gun in hand while the other three members grinned.

The greatest thing holding your work back is the way that dialogue is formatted. Have a quick google about how dialogue should be formatted. Basically: a new speaker, a new line. Coordinating dialogue is important for the presentation of your work and the way your plot is conveyed.

The dystopic world is really original and will set you a part from the other students I think! I think discovery is really strong in this and Mr Presley plays a huge role in the piece in a consistent manner! Depending on your incorporation of the exam prompt and stimulus, I'd give this a band 6! :)

Neutron

• Trendsetter
« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2016, 09:06:11 pm »
Hey :) Taking a look at this one now!

Spoiler
The city’s core hammered to the metronome of pattering rain as the lone skyscraper pulsated within the night sky. Tentatively massaging the nape of his neck, Malcolm’s gaze flickered between the contracts before him, awaiting his endorsement. His fingers echoed a rhythmic tapping on the desk, as his fountain pen hovered above the agreements, lingering over one slightly longer than the other. Love the metronome idea - great!

By signing, both parties consent to constructing residential condominiums to be retailed under the second party’s franchise… totaling in a net profit of sixty million dollars... I don't think the elipsis adds anything here!

The eruption of applause from the enterprise’s shareholders was almost audible as his pen poised above the contract, the ringing approval undeniably expanding his company further. After all, the homeless can look after themselves right? Hesitant, Malcolm withdrew and diverted his gaze to the adjacent contract.

By declaring agreement to the governmental regulations of constructing non-for-profit homeless shelters, the understanding that such housings are public amenities is assumed…

A long-suffering sigh escaped his lips, the potential outrage and plummet in reputation was mirrored by the ferocious thunderstorm outside. The series of enterprise awards glowered at his indecision, imposing an indirect threat by the parasitic stakeholders. Malcolm’s leather chair groaned as he swiveled swivelled* it towards the wall of window, his reflection confronting him. You've created this wonderfully calculated experience, I'm enjoying it!

Dazzling Christmas lights illuminate, blinding Malcolm’s bloodshot eyes as he skims the waterlogged footpath, searching for a drier spot to rest with his rucksack of belongings. The laughter captures his attention as he pauses, recognizing recognising* his brother’s house. His heart sinks. Their animated euphoria swamps him, immobilizing immobilising* him as he absorbs the warmth through the window. A few moments of dejection pass, before he trudges onwards, aimless and hopeless. (snubbing the witnessed affection.) I'm not sure about this last bit - not quite sure what it means?

A roll of thunder grumbled. The perfect life Malcolm had spent years and years constructing, his comfort, early retirement and stability all possibly sabotaged, not by someone else, but by himself. The homeless will be fine, I would know, he assured. This last bit here could do with some tweaking - I think even just adding "he assured his colleagues" just so that it makes more sense who it is directed at. The first person narration was a little bizarre, until I read it as though it was being said to someone. So just that little tweak will make things a tiny bit more precise.

A bellow of thunder erupts. A filth-woven blanket enslaves I think enslaves is too graphic and intense for this sentence. Malcolm’s frail limbs as the downpour offers his first shower in months. Day after day, his tin can pathetically rattles. A stampede of chills lingers and a devouring hunger gnaws, creating a ceaseless void that tortures Malcolm like an unscratchable itch. His passive façade enables the business officials to walk by innocently, their gazes fixated only upon society’s wealth.

“Help…please” he rasps towards the hurricane of suits trampling past him, neither noticing nor caring.
------------
The stock market’s turmoil and the controversial media coverage all flashed before Malcolm. Crazed ex-homeless man throws wealth away, I'd put this in quotation marks. they’ll say. Explosions of thunder detonated near the building as a streak of lightning fractured the night sky. The fear of pandemonium drove his pen back onto the first contract. 

The consuming black river swirls beneath the bridge, emulating the inking darkness surrounding him. His mind urges him to jump, just a little step more, there’s nothing left for you anyway, it says and slowly, he clambers over, one leg at a time. The traffic continues to thunder behind him as he perches on the edge, the wind whistling through his greasy, month-old beard. Closing his eyes, he leans forward. Although I'm enjoying reading this a lot - if you need to cut down on words, then the place to do it is in one of these short little passages like this one. The story can go on without it, although it is better with it. So I'd be trying to put these little snippets into other areas.

The storm subdued to a gentle murmur of drizzle as Malcolm rummaged his finger through his pompadour, groaning at the papers before him. He supported thousands of employees and families whose salaries depended on his success. The homeless don’t need his help.

A hand clasps on his shoulder, steadying him again.

“Please don’t do this.”

He whips around, swollen eyes gazing into comforting hazel ones. A tentative smile wavers on the youthful girls lips, rubbing his shoulders as her parked hatchback exposes the shadows of the merciless torrents below them.

“Everything will be okay. I know a shelter that will help.” The girl lifts Malcolm back over the bridge, his actions entranced by her soothing words.

“In life, you always have two choices, the easy or the hard way. And you’ll always find that what’s right, is never easy. Sometimes, look at things differently.”

Spinning him around, she directed his gaze to the other side of the bridge, where a full moon and constellation of stars explodes across the horizon, the immense brightness spellbinding him.

The crack of dawn unexpectedly erupted across the skyline, radiating streams of light into the office. Malcolm’s reflection watched him, gradually morphing, his facial creases receding as a wild, untamed beard sprouted. The hollowness within his past eyes frightened Malcolm, blinking slowly with an expression devoid of purpose.

After all, the homeless can look after themselves, right? His reflection seemed to echo, amused at Malcolm’s astonishment.

“In life, you always have two choices”

Malcolm rolled up his sleeves, pushing aside the desk’s irrelevant contents.

“The easy or the hard way”

Glancing at each contract one last time, Malcolm grabbed his fountain pen, uncapping the lid.

“And you’ll find that what’s right,”

The ghost of his former self hovered towards Malcolm, staring intently before plunging into his present self, galvanizing his revitalized emotions.

“is never easy”

He’d let himself become just another suit in the city, everything he hated on the streets. It needed to end. Gripping his pen, he scrawled his signature across the homeless contract, authorizing authorising it in an envelope before scrunching the other proposal. Standing, he shoved all his awards off the wall, shattering their glass casing. The true currency of life isn’t measured in money.

“To hell with the shareholders, I’m doing this for me.”
-----------

The stark establishment erupted before him. The scaffold was mechanically mounting, the modules slotting in like jigsaws as they each provided an additional layer of complexity and stability. Construction workers scuttled around as though they were laborious honeybees, their fluorescent hardhats functioning as beacons of progress.

“Sir, we’re still at the preliminary stages. It’s not too late to-”

“No. This is the right thing to do.”   

The commotion of operational drills, overhead cranes and distant commands swallowed his self-doubt.

Young entrepreneur rejects once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to resolve growing population, plummets in net worth.

Incoming economic recession after wasteful and misguided expenditure by our leading enterprise.

Corporate partnerships dismantled over crazed ex-homeless man’s alleged ‘moral awakening’
The above three should be in quotation marks :)

The headlines sprawled across his desk, letters of outrage screaming for his attention. The shelter had only been operating for a week and already housed a thousand occupants. Did that mean nothing to them? The piercing jangle of his handset reverberates around the room, relentless with the stream of fuming shareholders demanding revocation.
“I rehabilitated a thousand people, rescued them off the streets and treated them like humans!” He hollered, ripping the handset’s connector chord.

Padding stretched across the entirety of the chamber, sheets of white sprawling across each mattress. The orderly rows were disrupted by the occasional banter of the occupants, laughter and light chatter energizing the room. The vagrants convened within small communal groups, organizing organising* and redistributing their meager belongings as well as amending their physical attributes. A cleanly shaved man with a tainted button-up bustled into one of the groups, excitedly exclaiming and triggering a cheerful uproar. Malcolm watched as they rhythmically chanted, hoisting him on their backs.

“He got it! He got it! He’ll be poor no more! He got it! He got it! He’ll have a meal for sure!” The room echoed, contributing to the clamor.

Spotting Malcolm at the overhang, the crowd cascaded in ebullient applause, with random cries amongst the eruption.

“You sir are the reason why I got my job today!”

“You gave us a second chance when no one else would!”

“Thank you for believing in us!”

Malcolm beamed, tears streaking down his cheek as the gleaming reflection of the community blinded him. Some things money just can’t buy.

I have a lot of different thoughts about this story. It's complicated yet quite simple, which is interesting. Your actual writing is sophisticated and clear yet never verbose. That's great. As you pointed out, the story can end earlier than it does. I think it could actually end at several different points. I like having the effect of discovery there, the ramifications. But, I don't think it is the most important thing. I think you can take out some of your smaller passages and condense it together. The most important sections for me are: Knowing Malcolm works in stocks amongst men and women ignorant of low or no income earners - Knowing Malcolm was on the streets and rescued in a shelter - Knowing Malcolm makes a decision to respond to his own past through present actions. So the headlines add something extra to the work - but I can't say it was completely necessary. Otherwise, there are little snippets that add to the nature of his decision, but I personally think you let go of that tight language you had at the start when it comes to the end. Most likely, it is because you've added the ending more recently. I think the quotes at the end don't round off Malcolm's personal journey - but they certainly talk about the ramifications of discovery on society.

So, where you are at: You've probably got the most flexible story I have read yet. You can stop it at a few stages, you can take little bits out here and there, you can condense it if needed, and you explore so many different stages of discovery on different people. You're in a BLESSING of a position right now! It is just about looking at as many stimulus options and exam papers as possible, and then applying your work by preparing how you'd add, subtract, adjust your work!

Hopefully this makes sense. I put a few small suggestions throughout the work, but now it's just about working out your plan for the exam!

Thank you Elyse! This has been helpful :) Yeah I definitely tacked on my ending really quickly just because I was trying to nail a few more rubric points haha In terms of the multiple spots in which I can stop the story, could you list a few examples? To me, since I wrote it and as such is overly attached to every word, I only considered ending it in one of two places, after he signs the contract or after the shelter is built. Thank you again for taking out the time to help us!

Neutron

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2016, 11:04:22 pm »
Hi :) Here's your feedback:

Spoiler
Cole had been waiting for this moment his whole life. Graduating Mr. Presley’s class of 2078, he had been studying the art of deciphering facial emotions and law enforcement against those who betray the rules set by Mr. Presley.  The world was at its best when crime thought was severely punishable and was determined by the interactive system, Mr Presley. Here Cole was, teeth glaring against the vicious wind, lined up ready to receive his qualification report. The ash grey sky happily sat upon the horizon, making the park seem more like a graveyard site, being lit by only simple streetlights. This initiation was being screened everywhere around the world and would show his movement into the Presley Law enforcement group. Once his name was announced, Cole stood up with all his might and confidently strode towards the commander. Just the right amount of language variation here to create what seems like a bizarre state of affairs!

It was 2:05, as the time projected on the walls of his decrepit apartment. A week had passed since the graduation and today was going to be his first shift being a part of the task force. Cole was feeling sick, really sick. This was all new, not many humans could get this job. His generation had seen it all; society had nearly discovered the cure for age LOL cure for age - love it. though being restricted to 200 years. For God’s Sake Cole was living proof, it was his seventy sixth year of living and he felt great. But this…. This frightened him more. The bed croaked as he rose, and a voice came to life “Still three hours and forty-five minutes of sleep left Sir". Cole walked over to one of the dim walls and said "Wall three, Activate window". A giant glass frame appeared where the wall was, providing outlook into the busy metropolis of Tokyo. The black fog rested upon the top of the skyscrapers casting a dark shadow, constantly fighting against the city streetlights. It was always dark, even when the sun was visible. There is a tale that the sky reflected Mr Presley's emotions towards civilization as they committed crimes. The city was not silent, the ringing of sirens were present indicating that some sort of task force was assisting the city in some way.  Society had grown dangerously violent since? which had assisted the rule making of no crimes are to be imagined, creating a positive impact on the world. Cole walked back towards the bed, falling towards the mattress closing his eyes.

It actually was not that bad, The day had gone smoothly. Cole was introduced to the team, Roland being the team leader. Cole had been acquainted to a watch like device which ran the Presley simulation. He was instructed how a normal human has anywhere between 180-220 imagination power, anything more is lethal. You're explaining the dystopic world really well. Roland informed Cole that “Crime had cut down by at least 30%  and Mr Presley was the genius who created a system, measuring brain levels to determine imagination statistics telling users if someone had recently thought of a dangerous crime.  There were no interferences at all, but then suddenly an unexpected bell shook the building. The staff immediately ran towards the exit. New line for a new speaker.“Follow me”, encouraged Roland. Each member had their own laser-bike which assisted with traffic as well as fast speed. New line “I have no idea how to ride this” announced Cole, “Well you will learn!” replied one of the members aggressively. New line “Just put your hands here and use your feet to shift through the gears”. They were off, this definitely had to be the best feeling Cole had ever felt, his brown hair surfing the grey wind. Excellent imagery! He was ecstatic, following the other four motorbikes which glued into a pack heading towards the forest. Finally arriving at the destination, comma everyone split into groups following different paths moving through the green bushy terrain.

A rustle in the tree’s no apostrophe here grabbed his attention. There. A glimpse of someone running the in in the shadows, a small figure. The watch glowed aggressively and started to heat up. "Enemy of state detected, imagination level 308 out of 223" alerted the device. "Quick follow me” said the squad leader. They ran through the forest using the watch as a navigation system, the faster the beeps the closer the danger was. A disembodied ghastly sound echoed off the branches in attempt to throw of the watch’s scent. There she was again, running from us. It was weird, constant images of deja vu appeared as everyone was running in circles, treading the same path as if the forest was attempting to protect its flower. "It was weird" is a strange thing for a third person narrator to say, I'd consider rephrasing :)

The mysterious girl scurried into a secluded tree canopy. She was cornered. Roland took the lead and walked towards her, his coat flying briskly behind. He was a couple of meters from her when he raised his arm and once again the watch buzzed to life. New line “Abigail Spencer, Age 11, Parental Status - Recently Deceased, imagination level 311 out of 223” suggested the device. New line “HE.. He.. Killed my Parrentss” cried Abigail as she pointed towards a trail of smoke wafting towards the sky in a distance.  One of the squad members spoke into his watch and magically the sound of sirens filled the air moving closer towards the smoke. New line “That isn't my problem, you have been imagining murder, that is punishable by death” replied Roland. Cole’s heart skipped a beat, Roland wasn't serious was he?. The girl did nothing wrong, she probably imagined herself killing her parentspossessive apostrophe behind the s murderer.

Cole ran to the girl’s side, tell us what happened. new line “There was a masked man, he ran into our house and demanded money from my mother. Dad It's standing out to me that mum is mother and dad is dad - I'd be more likely to call both mum and dad or mother and father.ran downstairs and punched him, but the robber got up and shot them both. Screamingly, mother used her last breath and kicked him, telling me to run and not look back. As I ran away I heard another bang and picked up speed.” This is not what I Imagined, this cannot be happening. “I’m very sorry Abagail, you cannot be fixed” said Roland as he snickered. They were evil punctuation required here they cannot be doing this, they had forgotten the true intentions and purpose of the group or is this what they had been doing all along?. Excitement was bursting from Roland's eyes like lanterns crackling away at the midnight sky. Cole could see the growing estrangement from this group. He was beginning to understand, they are bloodhounds. They kill for adrenaline, no matter the cost. Mr Presley had done this, he has corrupted them. New line“Welcome to Mr Presley's Cole” announced Roland as he walked towards Abigail, gun in hand while the other three members grinned.

The greatest thing holding your work back is the way that dialogue is formatted. Have a quick google about how dialogue should be formatted. Basically: a new speaker, a new line. Coordinating dialogue is important for the presentation of your work and the way your plot is conveyed.

The dystopic world is really original and will set you a part from the other students I think! I think discovery is really strong in this and Mr Presley plays a huge role in the piece in a consistent manner! Depending on your incorporation of the exam prompt and stimulus, I'd give this a band 6! :)
You dont realise how happy that made me... in english I was doing well untill we had our listening task. I got the last rank for it  and my yearly rank dropped dramatically. Im hoping all my essays and the HSC can do me justice

I forgot to thank you so much for the analysis. You guys help us all out and we have you guys to thank!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:06:02 am by elysepopplewell »
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2016, 08:57:42 am »
Heya! You've noted a part in italics, but the italics haven't copied over to the thread here - so I can't comment on it because I can't see it! No you don't need a title - it has never been a criticism or praise from the marking centre. And I usually feel uncomfortable giving a mark out of 15 because I'm not an official marker, I'm just a reader of the mark, so I give feedback based on the audience's experience :) I'll give it a crack, though! But don't take my mark as anything definitive.

Spoiler
At the bottom of the box lay an old dog eared photo album from a life much more happier and complete than this one. All he wanted to do was know what it was like to be happy again, but he did not know how best to go about it, who to ask first. As he flicked through the pages, crinkled through the assistance I'm just not sure this is the right word? Tears assisted him? of so many tears, the photographs came alive. There he was back up on the old, wooden stage in primary school confidently reciting his leadership speech. The image flips and suddenly he is on the glossy stage of secondary school, stoked that he has topped the class in English. Another photo goes past and he is in the music ensemble, laughing and playing his guitar. It always amazed him how he used to find such trivial things such as kicking a ball or egging his least favourite teacher's car not only fun and entertaining but also daring and enthralling. I'd put a new paragraph here :)He can't help but wonder if that version of him would be proud of what he'd become. It was like he had a split personality, happy and bubbly at first, then a few pages later dark, brooding and evasive. I like the "a few pages later" - it emphasises the importance of the photo album. He had to stop for a minute when he saw a photo of himself unhappy, because there were too many ice shards in his ice-cream. He wanted to scream at himself "Don't you realise that this is so trivial, so minute, and does not matter at all?" This is a bit random - it increases the understanding of some kind of bipolar-like experience, but it doesn't detail it enough to create an emotion from the reader I think. If you haven't experienced something like this yourself, I'd do some quick googling to get some accounts of people who have suffered something similar, just so that you can add an extra sentence or two on top of the ice cream sentence and really flesh out the battle in two minds, in the same head. I think that's a really important entry point for a marker to relate to the work. A separate sleeve at the end of the album showed achievements and commendations for a boy he was sure was not him; he would never have been able to do something so valiant and brave, or caring and compassionate.

As he was putting the document back in the sleeve he heard movement and slammed the album so fast his finger instantly turned about as blue as he felt. Do you mean blue as in down/sad or blue as in angry? I think it's too ambiguous. There's the expression "I'm feeling blue" and there's also the expression "I'm so angry I could argue this until I'm blue in the face" which is why I'm not sure how you want it to be interpreted. A moment of indecision as the intruder comes down the narrow, creaky, wooden stairs. No one ever comes down here. Not anymore. He was just about to flee when he heard a familiar voice that put him instantly at ease. New paragraph.He whirled around and saw not sure about this word - saw indicates that he visually spotted the spirit. I think that this creates the idea that the protagonist is a medium, rather than just someone experiencing a very touching time. Feeling the spirit is more relatable than seeing it. If you want to make it so that he saw the spirit, then I'd be putting that questioning about whether or not he saw it or if his mind just painted her in front of him soon, but not yet. it was none other than his mother's spirit. She whispered something in his ear that made him remember why he had loved her so much; able to keep calm and carry on through these tough times. He had the "keep calm and carry on" posters taped to the back of his door until he could no longer successfully meet the requirements they posed. Already his mother's spirit was receding, and he questions whether or not it was real or if he had just imagined it. His bruised finger provided enough evidence for him that it was real. It was in that exact moment that he had a strong urge to visit the park where his dad and him had played with each other. He used to ride on his shoulders and believe he was on top of the world; that he could could do anything he set his mind to. He opened the door for the first time in many years, the door hesitant to budge from lack of use this is just a little too clinical. and stepped outside.  He opened the door for the first time in many years. It scraped the frame it has hugged for years, and dust platooned form the tight seal. << This indicates the same thing, but it shows and doesn't tell.

Outside, the sun was blinding like a hundred flashlights burning his retinas. Outside was a bustling metropolis he was not used to. Outside, people were stressed and in such a hurry to get to some place unbeknown to him, which always puzzled him.

He finally reached the park where he had spent most of his childhood. Perhaps flesh out this battle a bit more? What did he go through physically and mentally to get to the park? We've got the trio of "outside" sentences above, but I think here you could talk about the times you wanted to turn around, the times you wanted to just run to the park to get it over with, etc. Just something little, but I think we just make a bit of a jump and its a missed opportunity to engage the marker. It was fairly unchanged; the same green grass covered the space like a blanket and it was unoccupied. As he sits down, a warm breeze wraps around him like a tight hug loooove this and he comes to the realisation that he can no longer live locked up his whole life, in his self created jail cell. I'd be more inclined to take the imagery away from a jail cell because that connotes punishment, and instead, talk about it like a swaddle. Something that's protective and tight. Because to him, the house is that safe place, not a punishment. But now, outside, he is realising that he can also feel safe and protected outside. The presence of his mother is what provides the safety and support. /b]He needs to be outside in the elements. It is only out here where he can truly heed his mother's advice to keep calm and carry on, and for the first time in ages, probably a bit too colloquial - perhaps "for the first time since the..." and choose however you want to phrase it. he feels as though he can do anything he sets his mind to.  The change in tense here is really nice.

[NOTE: The part in italics does not flow well and I am looking to change that, just not sure how.]

Contextually - I'm wondering how this person got such a complex about their mum's protection and presence. But, the story works without it. It could be a potential opportunity to raise ethos for the character by providing the trauma that caused this, but you could also fall into the trap of being a cliche trauma. So if you do pursue this, you'd need to be careful. But, it is something that you can add for very little effort and potentially great results. I don't feel the need to know about the dad - I think it's not relevant. I don't assume people have ever lived with both parents, so it wasn't a big question mark where I was wondering about the dad.

Otherwise, I think this is great. My only suggestions are throughout where I've suggested ways to enhance the plot with a few extra sentences. I'd put this as a band 5 because the story line is original, the discovery is meaningful, transformative, physical, spiritual, emotional, intellectual, etc. But, I think it is missing a few opportunities to lift the ethos of the protagonist, and also a tiny tiny bit more complexity in the character's life.

Hope this helps! :) Good luck!

Thank you so much for this!! And your quick but detailed feedback!

I was purposely avoiding using "since the ?" because I dont quite know what it is, and it will be bordering on cliche/teen angst if i try and identify it I think.

The italics were where he had the sudden urge to go to the park, that got marked as "strengthen this" in my trial. It got put as a 13/15, which is a Band 5 (87%) so you were on the money there :)

I was going to call his self created jail cell a concrete bunker, away from everything but I didnt know how to really word it.

In the seen vs felt department as well I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If it is "feel" how can walk down the creaky stairs and if it "see" how can it be a spirit kind of thing. people feel spirits but see intruders walking down stairs.

I really dont know how best to go about the icecream sentence either, what would i google and how could i reword it? Having not gone through this type of trauma, i am inexperienced in the field.

Thanks again and sorry for more questions! ;D ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2016, 09:16:02 am »
Thank you so much for this!! And your quick but detailed feedback!

I was purposely avoiding using "since the ?" because I dont quite know what it is, and it will be bordering on cliche/teen angst if i try and identify it I think.

The italics were where he had the sudden urge to go to the park, that got marked as "strengthen this" in my trial. It got put as a 13/15, which is a Band 5 (87%) so you were on the money there :)

I was going to call his self created jail cell a concrete bunker, away from everything but I didnt know how to really word it.

In the seen vs felt department as well I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If it is "feel" how can walk down the creaky stairs and if it "see" how can it be a spirit kind of thing. people feel spirits but see intruders walking down stairs.

I really dont know how best to go about the icecream sentence either, what would i google and how could i reword it? Having not gone through this type of trauma, i am inexperienced in the field.

Thanks again and sorry for more questions! ;D ;D

To be honest I didn't actually picture the protagonist as a teenager, but a young adult, perhaps in his twenties. So I think that alone could take it out of the teen angst idea, although I totally see what you're saying. I think to capture the paranoia and anxiety, having a google of "walking outside with anxiety" or "being in a crowd with anxiety" might give you some ideas (I haven't googled this myself, so you might need to tweak the wording to get something to come up). That might just give you some examples of what goes on mentally in that time! Just to add a sentence of a realism.

The concrete bunker sounds like a good idea too. To me, a concrete bunker creates the idea that everything else is dangerous, which makes me think the mum died in some kind of non-health related death brought about the dangers of the world. If you want to go down that path, then by all means! You don't have to do much talking, but just enough to feed into the idea I think! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2016, 09:20:27 am »
Thank you Elyse! This has been helpful :) Yeah I definitely tacked on my ending really quickly just because I was trying to nail a few more rubric points haha In terms of the multiple spots in which I can stop the story, could you list a few examples? To me, since I wrote it and as such is overly attached to every word, I only considered ending it in one of two places, after he signs the contract or after the shelter is built. Thank you again for taking out the time to help us!

Neutron

Not a problem Neutron! I suppose I think those are the best two places to end the story as well, but you could remove other little snippets from between as you please if you ever needed to condense it. I know what it's like to think that every part of the story is so important - but you've got to remember that to someone who has never read the work before and has no attachment to any of it, some of those words aren't as important. Sometimes it is because they will only read it once, where you only pick up on a certain layer of things. Whereas you've read it plenty more times than once, so you're playing into the deeper layers. I suggest drawing out a bit of a storyboard and basically just looking at what happens at what time, so you know that in the sections that don't directly advance the plot, you could get rid of them if you needed/wanted to! I'm more talking about little sentences here and there rather than entire chunks. Because of the non-traditional structure of paragraphs in your work, there is that freedom to chop and change pieces :)

You dont realise how happy that made me... in english I was doing well untill we had our listening task. I got the last rank for it  and my yearly rank dropped dramatically. Im hoping all my essays and the HSC can do me justice

I forgot to thank you so much for the analysis. You guys help us all out and we have you guys to thank!!

So happy to hear it! Best of luck :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2016, 09:23:29 am »
To be honest I didn't actually picture the protagonist as a teenager, but a young adult, perhaps in his twenties. So I think that alone could take it out of the teen angst idea, although I totally see what you're saying. I think to capture the paranoia and anxiety, having a google of "walking outside with anxiety" or "being in a crowd with anxiety" might give you some ideas (I haven't googled this myself, so you might need to tweak the wording to get something to come up). That might just give you some examples of what goes on mentally in that time! Just to add a sentence of a realism.

The concrete bunker sounds like a good idea too. To me, a concrete bunker creates the idea that everything else is dangerous, which makes me think the mum died in some kind of non-health related death brought about the dangers of the world. If you want to go down that path, then by all means! You don't have to do much talking, but just enough to feed into the idea I think! :)

Ok that makes sense now, thanks you are a legend!

no, YOU'RE a legend ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2016, 09:38:45 am »
Ok that makes sense now, thanks you are a legend!

no, YOU'RE a legend ;D

I had to put my glasses on to read that small print!  ::) Definitely worth it though ;)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2016, 09:41:53 am »
I had to put my glasses on to read that small print!  ::) Definitely worth it though ;)
Oh sorry  :-[
no YOU'RE a legend!!
Now everyone can know how awesome you are  ;D

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #314 on: October 09, 2016, 11:35:17 am »
The mysterious girl scurried into a secluded tree canopy. She was cornered. Roland took the lead and walked towards her, his coat flying briskly behind. He was a couple of meters from her when he raised his arm and once again the watch buzzed to life.
New line “Abigail Spencer, Age 11, Parental Status - Recently Deceased, imagination level 311 out of 223” suggested the device.
New line “HE.. He.. Killed my Parrentss” cried Abigail as she pointed towards a trail of smoke wafting towards the sky in a distance.  One of the squad members spoke into his watch and magically the sound of sirens filled the air moving closer towards the smoke.
New line “That isn't my problem, you have been imagining murder, that is punishable by death” replied Roland.

Hey Elyse I dont want to post my essay again as a new marking thing but Im confused about the dialogue. Do you mean just press the enter key when someone speaks like this?
  <-- CLICK ME