Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 10:52:24 am

Author Topic: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!  (Read 286406 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!
« Reply #660 on: July 03, 2017, 02:07:33 pm »

Ahh then just the essay :)

Sure! I'll get on that for you in the coming days

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
« Reply #661 on: July 05, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »
Just a quick question in regards to the Creative aspect of discovery.
Is the discovery concept strong enough based on this synopsis?

Synopsis:
A girl, Lola, reflects on the pained memories her father instilled on her during his final few days. The memories that come flashing back at her causes Lola to break down. Each night, her hope diminishes until one cold night when the stars shine down on her. There is a physical and an emotional transformation that Lola faces, her mood drastically changes and she is renewed.

The concepts of discovery that I alluded to in the creative piece were:
  • fresh and intensely meaningful, emotional and physical (emotional attachment that she has with her father; pained memories instilled in her during his final days)
  • new worlds and values, stimulate new ideas, renewed perspectives (renewed perspective that Lola faces in the end)
  • transformative (both physically and emotionally, the protagonist encounters a transformation)
  • ramifications may differ for individuals and their worlds (renewed perspective)

I would send my creative piece in for marking, but I don't have enough posts :)
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #662 on: July 05, 2017, 09:15:48 pm »
Just a quick question in regards to the Creative aspect of discovery.
Is the discovery concept strong enough based on this synopsis?

Synopsis:
A girl, Lola, reflects on the pained memories her father instilled on her during his final few days. The memories that come flashing back at her causes Lola to break down. Each night, her hope diminishes until one cold night when the stars shine down on her. There is a physical and an emotional transformation that Lola faces, her mood drastically changes and she is renewed.

The concepts of discovery that I alluded to in the creative piece were:
  • fresh and intensely meaningful, emotional and physical (emotional attachment that she has with her father; pained memories instilled in her during his final days)
  • new worlds and values, stimulate new ideas, renewed perspectives (renewed perspective that Lola faces in the end)
  • transformative (both physically and emotionally, the protagonist encounters a transformation)
  • ramifications may differ for individuals and their worlds (renewed perspective)

I would send my creative piece in for marking, but I don't have enough posts :)
Thanks!

Hey!! Based on your synopsis, I think the Discovery element is definitely there! You'd want to make sure it is done well and in a unique style - The story you are doing is a reasonably common one. That is, character suffers the loss of a family member, is pained by it, but ultimately finds closure and new understanding and that they'll remember the "good times." Obviously I'm over simplifying your story, and it is the intricacies that differentiate, but do be careful! ;D

Feel free to post your full Creative, you'll be at 15 posts by the time you get the feedback, and even if not, you've been insanely helpful around the forums. Happy to give you an advance ;)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #663 on: July 05, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »
This is my fifteenth post, which means that I qualify for a check up on my creative.

My creative has always been my weakest point in the English course, so any sort of feedback is appreciated. I've tried to incorporate a lot of imagery, and I feel like I've done enough to enthral the reader. I knew that the premise of my story line was fairly 'cliche' or overdone, but I think I've differentiated it enough?? Again, my biggest concern is the overall notion of discovery within this creative.

Thanks!

Creative #2:
Spoiler
A sigh
Lola sighed. Her sigh was of a winter’s breeze, chilling and gentle, adorned by the bleak, thin wind.

One memory. That was all it took for Lola to burst like water from a dam. She clutched the wooden frame, her mind fixated to the painful reflections of his face. However, it was more than that; it was the kind of desolation that came from a person who’s lost all hope. Her tears combined with the cold and damp aura that permeated the room. The wailing echoed around the dull room. It wasn’t just the memory; it was the pain that her late father instilled in her during his last few days.

She focused on his eyes, which glistened with laughter that she once adored. But this time, the same eyes laughed back at her. The same eyes reminded her of what she lost. The same eyes reminded her of these painful memories. She clutched it tighter in her hand and pressed it harder towards her chest, his head leaning towards her heart. It was at this moment that she could feel his heartbeat. Just one more time.

No matter how hard Lola tried to hold in these tears, anyone could sense she was pained. She would cry out to anyone in sight, whispering: “Dad, come sit with me. Hold me close. Hug me one more time”. Nothing.

Lola sighed. Her sigh was of a winter’s breeze, chilling and gentle, adorned by the bleak, thin wind. She knew that he was safe up there, but refused to believe it. To believe it meant that she was bereft of his kisses and cuddles.

She approached the drawer that her father gave to her when she was eight. Behind the broken eyes and washed out foundation, Lola gave a gentle smile. Silence evaporated into the air, as the desolate breeze played her childhood music. Touching the cold and dark handle, Lola revealed the contents of the drawer. Photographs of her family filled the drawer, with each photograph rekindling memories of days gone by.

It was never in her best interest to look at the best photographs, for she was afraid of damaging them. But these were merely snapshots of the best memories; memories that didn’t result in Lola bursting or traumatised. It was in these moments that the very people that she cared about the most will vanish from her mind -- almost as if they weren’t ever there. But it’s these memories that Lola knew to keep, to soothe her when bad memories attempted to erase these moments from her.

Night had fallen fast; no more than an hour ago was the sky painted with hues of orange and red. The dark was illuminated by the glimmering of stars. As each star glinted in the sky, Lola could hear the soft breaths of her father. She looked up towards the stars, which laid like blankets overhead, feeling secure. Her fears. Her sorrows. Her lies -- they all lingered at a distance. No longer did she have to feel afraid. No longer did she have to stand behind shadows.

As she looked up, her fears crumbled beneath her feet. She could now believe it -- she could now believe her dad was safe. All she needed was reassurance. Finally, her mind was at ease. Lola laid, sank in her bed. Every muscle was slouched, and even her heart beated slowly. She stared blankly at the constellations of the stars, mesmerised by the different shapes and complexities of each constellation.

Midnight fell as the susurration of leaves, that had once lulled Lola to sleep, became a soothing lullaby to Lola. The luminous stars scattered across the heavens. Lola strolled out towards the park where she and her dad used to spend the spring breaks together.

She strolled across the concrete, the same way her dad carried her almost twenty years ago. And as the spring breeze tousled her hair, her cheeks lit up all of the stars in the night sky. The brisk spring breeze whispered to Lola, the same way her dad used to whisper to her. The soft textures of the grass swayed in unison with the gusts of occasional gale.

As the sun rose, giving the warm tones back to the earth, Lola felt a sense of renewal -- almost as if these insecurities and tensions leached out during the night. Her steps felt lighter and muttered her final words: “Perhaps, this is what happiness feels like. Perhaps, this is what it feels like when the battle is over.”

K9810

• Forum Regular
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2017, 10:57:37 am »
Hey! Can you please mark my creative? I'm not sure how to engage in character development.

Escape
The ground below him fluttered with lights. Packed with pedestrians, the streets exhaled car fumes and smoke littered from cigarette butts. A thin layer of smoke masked the sky. Across, a series of cranes and bulldozers invaded the construction site that was building the new apartments. Xavier closed the window; the smoke that unapologetically wafted up his nostrils and tightened his weak lungs. He sat on his couch and switched on his 32-inch flat screen TV that hung below the air conditioner. He had to escape; the noise, the pollution. And explore the tranquillity that nature offered. Let us show you this place where wonder grows and lead you to secrets hidden beneath green hills…to somewhere like nowhere you’ve ever seen. Images of blue skies and breezy seas flashed past the screen. It reminded him of the time he went hiking.
He walked as the stones crunched beneath his shoes. He found it. The breath-taking scenery was so foreign to him. The sky was dyed azure blue and it casted rays of gold onto the feathers of the kea which glided swiftly through the borderless skies. A dome of warmth from the sun enclosed him offering him comfort. There was a delicate, earthy scent that filled the air; the dirt, the crushed leaves of the trees. It was breezy, but he liked it. His cheeks dimpled as his lungs inflated with a dose of fresh, light air. It was cool but his lungs were relieved with ease.
Though his feet pleaded to rest, he became inquisitive as he continued to proceed through the pathless trees eyeing out in wonder. The cool breeze danced around his shoes, appreciating his existence. He sniffed the air, but was only greeted with a familiar smell. He wrinkled his nose. A burning cigarette butt thrown carelessly on the bush of wild lupins. Its suffocating scent chokes the crisp, light airiness of the blossoms. The tranquillity and ease he felt moments ago had faded, replaced by a sense of betrayal.
And that wasn’t it.
‘Ok everyone, we have arrived at the peak…’
Curious, he hiked up the coarse path to see who it was. There was a yellow flag waving in the air and so many ‘ohs’ and ‘ahs’. He looked up to see twenty or so people. Some were taking photos. Others walked explored the place themselves. As they left, plastic food packaging and travel pamphlets trailed their imprinted footsteps.
The colours of his perfect paradise drained away. He was left back to square one; the litter and physical imprints they made to such a foreign environment. How could they?
But who was he to make such an insensitive judgement?
He too was touring this foreign paradise.
He peered out his window to the new construction site across his very own.
Destruction was inevitable.
But at least he escaped.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2017, 02:58:01 pm »
Hey! Can you please mark my creative? I'm not sure how to engage in character development.

Hey there! :)
Spoiler
Escape
The ground below him fluttered with lights. Packed with pedestrians, the streets exhaled car fumes and smoke littered from cigarette butts. A thin layer of smoke masked the sky. Across, a series of cranes and bulldozers invaded the construction site that was building the new apartments. The construction site wasn't doing the building. Just need to rephrase this for it to make perfect sense. Xavier closed the window; the smoke that unapologetically wafted up his nostrils and tightened his weak lungs. He sat on his couch and switched on his 32-inch flat screen TV that hung below the air conditioner. He had to escape; the noise, the pollution. And explore the tranquillity that nature offered. Technically this last sentence isn't correct in a grammatical way because it opens with "and" - sometimes this is fine if the benefit is a creative outcome, but in this situation it doesn't seem to leave me with an impact other than noticing that a sentenced opened with "and" - there's no dramatic narration I can sense yet for this to work well. Let us show you this place where wonder grows and lead you to secrets hidden beneath green hills…to somewhere like nowhere you’ve ever seen. Images of blue skies and breezy seas flashed past the screen. It reminded him of the time he went hiking.
He walked as the stones crunched beneath his shoes. He found it. The breath-taking scenery was so foreign to him. The sky was dyed azure blue and it casted rays of gold onto the feathers of the kea which glided swiftly through the borderless skies. A dome of warmth from the sun enclosed him offering him comfort. There was a delicate, earthy scent that filled the air; the dirt, the crushed leaves of the trees. It was breezy, but he liked it. His cheeks dimpled as his lungs inflated with a dose of fresh, light air. It was cool but his lungs were relieved with ease.
Though his feet pleaded to rest, he became inquisitive as he continued to proceed through the pathless trees eyeing out in wonder. The cool breeze danced around his shoes, appreciating his existence. He sniffed the air, but was only greeted with a familiar smell. He wrinkled his nose. A burning cigarette butt thrown carelessly on the bush of wild lupins. Its suffocating scent chokes the crisp, light airiness of the blossoms. The tranquillity and ease he felt moments ago had faded, replaced by a sense of betrayal.
And that wasn’t it.
‘Ok everyone, we have arrived at the peak…’
Curious, he hiked up the coarse path to see who it was. There was a yellow flag waving in the air and so many ‘ohs’ and ‘ahs’. He looked up to see twenty or so people. Some were taking photos. Others walked explored the place themselves. As they left, plastic food packaging and travel pamphlets trailed their imprinted footsteps.
The colours of his perfect paradise drained away. He was left back to square one; the litter and physical imprints they made to such a foreign environment. How could they?
But who was he to make such an insensitive judgement?
He too was touring this foreign paradise.
He peered out his window to the new construction site across his very own.
Destruction was inevitable.
But at least he escaped.
This is quite a short piece, which gives you flexibility to expand if you so desire. It also gives you a lot of leg room to incorporate the stimulus if a tricky one is thrown your way. I see the discovery: it's easy to understand and appreciate. However, I think the story lacks in engagement of plot, simply because the way it is written in a somewhat simplistic matter. The imagery exists, but there aren't many techniques at work. Let's look at this part:

Now, there's imagery, I can see it. But not a lot about it is creative, it's all very direct in giving me the images that I'm supposed to have, instead of giving me the opportunity to explore the scenery myself. I'd love to know the smells, the textures, but instead I'm giving the sights. Your writing is declarative for the most part as it directly states what is happening in the scene. There are times when declarative writing works marvellously! But, in this instance, I don't think it serves the purpose of the story. What was quite an organic scene has been turned to a very rigid scene, even amongst nature. To give another piece of feedback, I want to talk about the lack of empathy I have for the characters. There's nothing about the voices are personas that make me feel something, and invite me on the journey with the characters. The opening paragraph could be an opportunity for me to have sympathy, or admiration, or intrigue, for the main character. But instead I'm left feeling a bit more confused about why this very ordinary character would have an extraordinary discovery, in a setting that isn't flourishing. Basically for character development: there's got to be some kind of quirk that allows me to connect with them.

This is not to say you have a bad piece here at all. I've read stories that are immaculate in their creation, but the discovery fails to exist. This is not your problem - I can see the discovery quite clearly. So we need to build it up from the opposite direction this time. Start to colour in the characters, and consider the techniques you will use to create imagery instead of relying on stating. Similes, metaphors, olfactory imagery... I can't wait to see this story bulk up in order to deliver a really intriguing piece!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2017, 03:11:36 pm »
This is my fifteenth post, which means that I qualify for a check up on my creative.

My creative has always been my weakest point in the English course, so any sort of feedback is appreciated. I've tried to incorporate a lot of imagery, and I feel like I've done enough to enthral the reader. I knew that the premise of my story line was fairly 'cliche' or overdone, but I think I've differentiated it enough?? Again, my biggest concern is the overall notion of discovery within this creative.

Thanks!

Hey there! Thanks for posting :) I'll put the feedback in the bold font in the spoiler below, and then some feedback at the end as well :)
Spoiler
A sigh
Lola sighed. Her sigh was of a winter’s breeze, chilling and gentle, adorned by the bleak, thin wind. Beautiful!

One memory. That was all it took for Lola to burst like water from a dam. I love this imagery. She clutched the wooden frame, her mind fixated to the painful reflections of his face. However, it was more than that; it was the kind of desolation that came from a person who’s lost all hope. Her tears combined with the cold and damp aura that permeated the room. The wailing echoed around the dull room. It wasn’t just the memory; it was the pain that her late father instilled in her during his last few days.

She focused on his eyes, which glistened with laughter that she once adored. But this time, the same eyes laughed back at her. The same eyes reminded her of what she lost. The same eyes reminded her of these painful memories. She clutched it tighter in her hand and pressed it harder towards her chest, his head leaning towards her heart. It was at this moment that she could feel his heartbeat. Just one more time.

No matter how hard Lola tried to hold in these tears, anyone could sense she was pained. She would cry out to anyone in sight, whispering: “Dad, come sit with me. Hold me close. Hug me one more time”. Nothing.

Lola sighed. Her sigh was of a winter’s breeze, chilling and gentle, adorned by the bleak, thin wind. She knew that he was safe up there, but refused to believe it. To believe it meant that she was bereft of his kisses and cuddles.

She approached the drawer that her father gave to her when she was eight. Behind the broken eyes and washed out foundation, Lola gave a gentle smile. Silence evaporated into the air, as the desolate breeze played her childhood music. Touching the cold and dark handle, Lola revealed the contents of the drawer. Photographs of her family filled the drawer, with each photograph rekindling memories of days gone by.

It was never in her best interest to look at the best photographs, for she was afraid of damaging them. But these were merely snapshots of the best memories; memories that didn’t result in Lola bursting or traumatised Just not a fan of the wording here purely because of the flow between "bursting" and "traumatised" which use two different tenses. It just jars a little bit for me. . It was in these moments that the very people that she cared about the most will vanish from her mind -- almost as if they weren’t ever there. But it’s these memories that Lola knew to keep, to soothe her when bad memories attempted to erase these moments from her.

Night had fallen fast; no more than an hour ago was the sky painted with hues of orange and red. The dark was illuminated by the glimmering of stars. As each star glinted in the sky, Lola could hear the soft breaths of her father. She looked up towards the stars, which laid like blankets overhead, feeling secure. Her fears. Her sorrows. Her lies -- they all lingered at a distance. No longer did she have to feel afraid. No longer did she have to stand behind shadows.

As she looked up, her fears crumbled beneath her feet. She could now believe it -- she could now believe her dad was safe. All she needed was reassurance. Finally, her mind was at ease. Lola laid, sank in her bed. Every muscle was slouched, and even her heart beated slowly. She stared blankly at the constellations of the stars, mesmerised by the different shapes and complexities of each constellation.

Midnight fell as the susurration of leaves, that had once lulled Lola to sleep, became a soothing lullaby to Lola. The luminous stars scattered across the heavens. Lola strolled out towards the park where she and her dad used to spend the spring breaks together.

She strolled across the concrete, the same way her dad carried her almost twenty years ago. And as the spring breeze tousled her hair, her cheeks lit up all of the stars in the night sky. The brisk spring breeze whispered to Lola, the same way her dad used to whisper to her. The soft textures of the grass swayed in unison with the gusts of occasional gale.

As the sun rose, giving the warm tones back to the earth, Lola felt a sense of renewal -- almost as if these insecurities and tensions leached out during the night. Her steps felt lighter and muttered her final words: “Perhaps, this is what happiness feels like. Perhaps, this is what it feels like when the battle is over.”

I don't have a lot of criticism for this piece, but I do have a fair few suggestions. The reason being, the piece as is will do fine in the HSC, but I presume you want to do more than just fine! I'll give you some observations I made. Firstly, I just can't seem to place Lola's age. Lola, the name, makes me think of a young girl, and when she was wailing I figured she was a young girl with strong emotions, therefore capable of strong thoughts. But as it went on I began to think she was older. So I found that really difficult to place. I think the writing style is lovely - there's a nice mix of being declarative and being creative. I really thought it was easy enough to follow without ever thinking it was banal.

What I think about the discovery: I think it ticks boxes of being spiritual, emotional, physical. I think there's a level of both planned and unplanned, and I think there's a focus on the outcome, and the speculation of new perspectives. So in this regard, it ticks lots of boxes. BUT, you will not get to replicate this exact story in the exam, because you'll have a stimulus to work with. I think that the writing itself doesn't need much adjusting, but you need to be comfortable enough to adjust the story accordingly, whilst still ringing true to the wonderful wording you've used so far. So, I suggest you pull out the rubric and go through bit by bit to highlight the parts you think are covered well, the bits you can imagine yourself incorporating well in an exam, and the parts that leave you completely at a loss. I think this is important because your piece is so nicely knitted, I don't want a stimulus to come in here and destroy it. I think that when a new aspect of discovery is incorporated through a stimulus, your work will have greater strength than it does now. But, are you prepared for this, or are you betting on the stimulus sliding into your story without much adjustment?

I look forward to hearing what you think!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #667 on: July 07, 2017, 03:52:33 pm »
Hey there! Thanks for posting :) I'll put the feedback in the bold font in the spoiler below, and then some feedback at the end as well :)
Spoiler
A sigh
Lola sighed. Her sigh was of a winter’s breeze, chilling and gentle, adorned by the bleak, thin wind. Beautiful!

One memory. That was all it took for Lola to burst like water from a dam. I love this imagery. She clutched the wooden frame, her mind fixated to the painful reflections of his face. However, it was more than that; it was the kind of desolation that came from a person who’s lost all hope. Her tears combined with the cold and damp aura that permeated the room. The wailing echoed around the dull room. It wasn’t just the memory; it was the pain that her late father instilled in her during his last few days.

It was never in her best interest to look at the best photographs, for she was afraid of damaging them. But these were merely snapshots of the best memories; memories that didn’t result in Lola bursting or traumatised Just not a fan of the wording here purely because of the flow between "bursting" and "traumatised" which use two different tenses. It just jars a little bit for me. . It was in these moments that the very people that she cared about the most will vanish from her mind -- almost as if they weren’t ever there. But it’s these memories that Lola knew to keep, to soothe her when bad memories attempted to erase these moments from her.

I don't have a lot of criticism for this piece, but I do have a fair few suggestions. The reason being, the piece as is will do fine in the HSC, but I presume you want to do more than just fine! I'll give you some observations I made. Firstly, I just can't seem to place Lola's age. Lola, the name, makes me think of a young girl, and when she was wailing I figured she was a young girl with strong emotions, therefore capable of strong thoughts. But as it went on I began to think she was older. So I found that really difficult to place. I think the writing style is lovely - there's a nice mix of being declarative and being creative. I really thought it was easy enough to follow without ever thinking it was banal.

What I think about the discovery: I think it ticks boxes of being spiritual, emotional, physical. I think there's a level of both planned and unplanned, and I think there's a focus on the outcome, and the speculation of new perspectives. So in this regard, it ticks lots of boxes. BUT, you will not get to replicate this exact story in the exam, because you'll have a stimulus to work with. I think that the writing itself doesn't need much adjusting, but you need to be comfortable enough to adjust the story accordingly, whilst still ringing true to the wonderful wording you've used so far. So, I suggest you pull out the rubric and go through bit by bit to highlight the parts you think are covered well, the bits you can imagine yourself incorporating well in an exam, and the parts that leave you completely at a loss. I think this is important because your piece is so nicely knitted, I don't want a stimulus to come in here and destroy it. I think that when a new aspect of discovery is incorporated through a stimulus, your work will have greater strength than it does now. But, are you prepared for this, or are you betting on the stimulus sliding into your story without much adjustment?

I look forward to hearing what you think!
Haha, thank you for your feedback!
As for the specific phrasing of 'bursting and traumatised', I've been meaning to fix it up. A couple of people have also critiqued that point, so definitely something I'll have to rewrite.

I've been meaning to write to the stimulus. Can you please send me some discovery stimuli, both text and visual?

Once again, thank you for your feedback like always.

Also, do you think it will work better with the fourth last paragraph being pushed a little further back? Some of my markers have said the change in perspective was a bit sudden so as to leave the reader feeling confused.

I was thinking of rearranging it so it sits as the second last paragraph.

Thanks!

Mod edit: Double posts merged. Please modify your previous post instead of double posting. Thank you
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:02:19 pm by Aaron »

_____

• Trendsetter
« Reply #668 on: July 09, 2017, 10:55:07 am »
I have really neglected creative writing this year. What's the typical game plan heading into exams? Know (basically memorise) one really well and then mould it to the stimulus or know two or three and kind of vaguely recite them?

Anyway here's something I worked on. Issues I can see:

Ending/conclusion is abrupt
Poor choice of names - Stan is associated with goofiness/a carefree attitude I suppose (sorry Stans) but I couldn't think of anything better for the main character
Next to no time spent on characterisation or explaining the main character's context, not sure if this is an issue
Basic imagery
Motif is too obvious (colour blue or the weather)

What can I improve?

Spoiler
“To perceive is to suffer.”
― Aristotle

You wouldn’t have been able to tell Sydney was on the cusp of winter. A light breeze ruffled evergreen leaves, adding little chill to tepid air. The afternoon sun was smiling down, with little care for the fact that it was working unpaid overtime. Its breezy attitude was fabulous for the precise rows of flowerbeds, their occupants drunkenly swimming in the fuel of photosynthesis. On the roads sat the houses, waiting patiently for their owners to return for Christmas.

Xavier paced along slowly, taking in his green and blue abode. He had lived in these parts for a year or so now, time that felt as if it were slipping through his fingers…

He didn’t understand why but the world felt heavier when he walked, especially when the streets were barren. With just the perfect azure sky and the shells of houses – not homes, it was hard not to ponder questions pertaining to some greater meaning about the world. Will there still be people on our little marble in five hundred years? What about a thousand?

While Xavier’s cogs whirred Stan trudged behind him. Like a prisoner’s ball-on-a-chain, he was the reason their journey was proceeding at a snail’s pace. Despite having walked this pavement for as long as his friend, Stan found it eternally compelling. With the knowledge that he had all the time in the world to savour the fragrances, Stan trailed his snout through a sun-soaked patch of grass that climbed up to tickle his furry underbelly. Sniff-sniff-sniff-sniff-sniff…

Xavier breathed out slowly, furrowing his brow. The hound was inhaling gleefully, and his owner swore he could see his dog grinning like he was eating a humungous bone, not smelling the same blade of grass he’s smelled a thousand times before.

Suddenly, Xavier put the grip end of the lead in his mouth. The fake leather smelled like ancient socks and the dog’s fur, so his teeth gripped it firmly, separating it from his tongue. Shielding his eyes with both hands, he turned in a slow circle looking up, scanning the sky blue dome. Today was one of those lucky days where one could see the shadow of the moon hanging out like the shy friend at a party, dwarfed by the exuberance of the sun. Just in front of it stood the wispy moustache of a cloud, a sole survivor of the summery weather. Drifting steadily past the pair was a bird devoid of grace, a jumble of mass that really didn’t belong up there, stubbornly refusing to fall. Behind it puffed an artificial cloud, the plane’s trail dissipating steadily like a retreating wave. Xavier could just about hear the aircraft’s low hum in the cyan infinity behind it, struggling to keep up with its master much like Stan was with Xavier.

Xavier watched the plane cross the Tasman. By now the smell of the lead, corrupted by years of storage in a damp cupboard, was invading his nostrils like a hoard of bees. He spat it out with distain, looking down upon it in the soft pillow of his pale palm.

Xavier turned around and saw the stub of a discarded lamb cutlet poking out of the dog’s mouth a millisecond before it was hastily gobbled up. Ashamedly, the brown marbles looked up at him:

“I’m so sorry human please don’t be angry I’ve only been fed once today and I’m ever so hungry please please please forgive me…”

Xavier sighed for the umpteenth time that day. He was beyond caring about Stan’s behaviour at this point. Thoughts bounced around his head like a super ball, many of them hard to quantify in words or even begin to answer. Why don’t we fear being flung thirty thousand feet into the air in a thin metal tube? How did we make it onto the moon only half a century after inventing the aeroplane? What am I going to do with the rest of my life? Are the hermit crabs of these houses enjoying their frantic lives?

This continued for a while longer. Stan kept sniffing, Xavier kept contemplating. Rays of sunlight rained down as the afternoon wore on. Lorikeets laughed and chased each other playfully through the imported palm trees and the terraces littered with leaves.

Xavier gazed down at Stan, trying to swim in a thick soup of thoughts. What does the dog think of his world? Does he long for freedom from the leash?

Suddenly, Stan halted the procession of narrow legs and looked up the ridge of his snout into his owner’s eyes. The dog’s tongue continued to hang lazily out the side of black jowls, the sun beating down on the pink, leathery muscle. Whatever he feels, thought Xavier, it’s not discontent. The world is his oyster.

Unusually, Stan seemed uninterested in sniffing. He continued to angle his nose up right at his owner, revealing rows of ivory pegs.

Maybe… maybe ignorance is bliss? The dog doesn’t know, and he doesn’t give a damn. In fact, no one can really answer any of these questions. Understanding is just perception. Everything is speculation on this mortal coil…

Xavier looked up and recognised the friendly oak of his faded-cream front door.

Thanks!

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #669 on: July 09, 2017, 09:07:03 pm »
HELLO :))
would you guys mind marking my creative??? It's super rushed and it an obvious first draft because if you read through there are heaps of inconsistencies that I'll probably fix later xDD. But more specifically, could you guys give me pointers on how to improve the portrayal concepts  of discovery within my creative ??

CREATIVE DRAFT 1

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Each jagged limb clawed its way relentlessly to its next position. The confining room stood proud in its entirety. Heaving himself from his wooden chair, he glanced at the calendar. ’September 1st’ it unforgivingly announced.

The bedridden sun still buried in its cloak of anxiety cast a lone shadow on the floor, barely warming the faceless faces which were smothered to a blur from time. The empty frames attempted to comfort his bare walls and salvage whatever kindling flame that still flickered in the remnants of his worn being. Several black and white photographs hung frozen in the unfruitful attempted to entrap the absent. Instead, tired and muted frames of grey and insipidity that lined the walls did most of the preservation, trying to compensate for the lost vibrance that he once had.

He missed everything. When he still had it. When he could still embrace it. Now, life was like this. Life was just .. life. He exhaled loudly. “What will it be today?” he thought to himself.

As if telepathic in its nature, the tarnished floor boards groaned in reassurance as he sank into the stool in front of the easel. Despite the cheapness of the wood, it still stood brilliantly. But it was almost succumbing to ruin, about to collapse from the heavy burden of imperfect and unsatisfactory canvas after canvas that encumbered it everyday.

He lethargically lifted the cup to his mouth anticipating the fresh steam of morning coffee as it tried to frighten the haunt of winter. He savoured it slowly, sip by sip, in attempt to preserve the seeping warmth it generously shared.

He sat down, facing the glass frame which prevailed the landscape beyond. A gust of wind rattles the glass barrier, unable to penetrate its haughty austere. Outside a flock of birds crowds and nestles amongst the bare tree relinquishing the open air. How wondrous he pondered, captivated as each bird flitted about the boughs and tended to each other. Their powerful crimson headdress defied the ashen ambience of the chilly morning, riding the thermals above as if in a graceful dance. Inside their fragile bodies, their hearts were beating, lungs were expanding and contracting, muscles tightening.

They paid him no attention.

Enticed anyways, he began to etch tendrils for each branch, engraving the rare moment onto his canvas. But the pencil disobeyed his mind, his fingers clutching its weak wooden frame anxiously as it quivered in his grasp. The curvature of their wise beaks had become the squabble of pigeons whilst their powerful wings appeared meagre upon the linen somehow. He concentrated upon the affinity of the birds but could not rid the aggravating transparency of the glass which still managed to impede his view. Scrapes and scratches, scrapes and scratches, the usual disappointing rhythm. 

A spray from the heavens suddenly came. Droplet by droplet grew into unrelenting pelts, dampening voluminous spreads of feathers. In a frenzied bid of farewell, the beating of wings disrupted the rhythmic tempo of the raindrops on his roof. Fallen leaves tumbled to defend its territory from the onslaught. Each droplet alighted the coolness of wild vortices, falling, emptying, as it washed away everything his eyes laid upon. The innumerable little cascades frightened each bird as they alighted to find a haven, leaving him behind staring at the skeleton of the tree. The curtain of water had begun to obscure his view of the outside.

But their departure didn’t sadden him, nor did his sadness cause their departure. He was used to things like this.

Rain enveloped, imprisoning the confines of his room. It was just him, and the rain on this melancholy morning.

He set down his pencil in the usual makeshift Heinz can which sat there pertinently, expectant. Instinctively, his body picked up the monotonous canvas as he had done day by day, contemplating whereabouts to lay it amongst the mass assemblage of many others. Now sinking into the leather sofa, he turned on the radio to fill the voids of silence, yet also to drown out the pelting rain as he tried to defiantly enlarge the asphyxiating walls, searching for accompaniment. (?) not sure haha….

The pummelling of tiny hands softened down in a final strum. He noticed because he could make out a slight muffled tingle. His ears perked in anticipation, his eyes darted towards the window, but a curtain of droplets still veiled. What was it?

The distant hum seduced his ear as he obliviously walked to the window. He laboriously pushed it open. Startled, a cascade of sunlight rushed inside and pulled him outside in liberation. The wooden photo frames had now become apparent in vibrant shine of mahogany.

The buzz modulated into a chorus of low chimes, his heart palpitated in unison.

Against the stern boulder-like clouds which threatened to swallow the sky, dainty wisps of periwinkle greeted him through rifts the fog could not reach. His mouth agape, the grandeur of everything around him

The sound grew louder now, changing from an indistinct warble to a light trill.

The briskness of the wind made the branches waver to its melody as if inhaling and exhaling the perfumes of the fresh damp soil. He himself, hypnotised by its crisp enchantment, taking another cautious step onto the greenery.

He bent down to caress the rich tones of the earth below, darkened yet enriched bathed in the thrill of the radiance of the sun.

He could hear it properly now! A grandiose angelic chorus heralded in crescendo as a cascade of brilliant red swooped in, encircling above and around the birch. Its silvery poplars rose spangled with dewy glittering of gold and green in welcome.

Smiling, he planted his easel onto the evergreen grass and gripped his brush. He visualising an intense spectrum of hues upon the frosted blank. Meticulously, he carved strokes onto the awaiting linen.

A stroke of vermillion, a stroke of scarlet.

A stroke for each bird that returned.

Concepts of discovery that I want to show:
rediscovering something that has been lost - passion, inspiration and beauty
type of discovery: creative(his passion and talent as well as inspiration), spiritual(enlightening) and emotional (isolation), physical (sublimity of nature)
catalyst for change
discoveries can be far-reaching and transformative for the individual
reflection and character growth
his literal discovery: his attempt to capture and create the landscape on his canvas will not be fruitful from the inside

THANK YOU <3

teapancakes08

• Forum Regular
  • "Smile for another day"
« Reply #670 on: July 11, 2017, 11:31:58 pm »
This is kind of an embarrassing question, but would it be okay to post up a creative in the notes section? I haven't finished HSC yet (TT^TT), so I'm wondering if I should wait until afterwards to post it. It got 14/15 for mid course, though. (Literally the only criticism was too much dialogue...which wasn't much to go of off ;; )

I have another creative ready and sent to my teacher, and the criticisms I got were to do with length-wise (it's around 1100 words), what to do about italics (seriously, how do you replicate that effect in handwriting?), and some clarity issues in languages (because I tend to be very flowery in my language. Pros: I get into it, so I don't make too many cliches...usually; Cons: It's waaayyy too figurative at times.) Any suggestions on how to combat this? It might be easier to see with this new creative, so I'll attach it to the post.

(This counts as a submission, right? If that's the case, I think I have 4 left? I can't count, help.)
Certified awkward turtle; HSC '17

Subjects:
English Advanced
Japanese Continuers
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Physics
Visual Arts

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #671 on: July 12, 2017, 01:05:00 am »
This is kind of an embarrassing question, but would it be okay to post up a creative in the notes section? I haven't finished HSC yet (TT^TT), so I'm wondering if I should wait until afterwards to post it. It got 14/15 for mid course, though. (Literally the only criticism was too much dialogue...which wasn't much to go of off ;; )

We'd loooove that, please do it whenever you like! Legend! ;D

I have another creative ready and sent to my teacher, and the criticisms I got were to do with length-wise (it's around 1100 words), what to do about italics (seriously, how do you replicate that effect in handwriting?), and some clarity issues in languages (because I tend to be very flowery in my language. Pros: I get into it, so I don't make too many cliches...usually; Cons: It's waaayyy too figurative at times.) Any suggestions on how to combat this? It might be easier to see with this new creative, so I'll attach it to the post.
(This counts as a submission, right? If that's the case, I think I have 4 left? I can't count, help.)

We've upped our post requirement to 25 posts for the Trial period, which would leave you two more if you want some detailed feedback ;D we can just skim it and give you some quick advice on the language if you prefer? We'll need a bit of time either way with lectures happening ;D

teapancakes08

• Forum Regular
  • "Smile for another day"
« Reply #672 on: July 12, 2017, 11:11:38 pm »
We've upped our post requirement to 25 posts for the Trial period, which would leave you two more if you want some detailed feedback ;D we can just skim it and give you some quick advice on the language if you prefer? We'll need a bit of time either way with lectures happening ;D

I guess I might as well get some concise feedback on it – if the timing's okay at least. Haven't really optimised on exchanging my post for marking yet because I'm not really confident in my work ;;; I'd like to get some editing done before I get back to school next Tuesday, but I can wait until the lectures are wrapped up :) (Thanks for all the love and support! ;D
Certified awkward turtle; HSC '17

Subjects:
English Advanced
Japanese Continuers
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Physics
Visual Arts

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »
Heyy, I was wondering if someone could read over my Discovery Creative. My biggest concern is that it is possibly to clique and maybe to dialogue based. I've written it off a personal experience and my teacher seems to think it is good but I am looking for a second opinion. Thank you :)

---

I inhale. The bitter smell of coffee travels through my senses. The icy grey sky restlessly grumbles, trapping me within the muggy air. An unexpectedly soothing feeling, catapulting me into a nostalgic haze of past vignettes - all around one small table... family and laughter, joined solely by bread and wine. Images so vivid, like pictures in a storybook I adored as a child.

I glance at my father. He is distant, eyes focused on each droplet of rain as they trickle down the window, like salty tears. He has a drained expression on his handsome face, lifting the black cup towards his mouth, but refusing to take a sip. It appears he too is clouded by those same memories. He takes a long, deep breath. His gaze still remains, as though if he stares at the water droplets for long enough and longingly enough he will, by some sort of osmosis, be transported into vibrant memories of his past.

“I’m so glad I’m here,” he admits, his disjointed voice leaving his cracked lips in small increments. Words my father spoke so often. Words I’ve never understood, despite the deep yearning for knowledge that constantly tugs at my conscience. “I was building agricultural and industrial at the time,” he continues, “for a company called Olfa. I was a manager, working six days a week, sometimes for twelve hours”.

He pauses for a while. Long enough for one to notice. And with his cup to his nose, he breathes in. His mind elsewhere, hypnotised once again by the bittersweet smell of burnt coffee.

“I remember this one humid day, I was working near the furnace.” He pauses, his voice flat and absent. “The smell of burning metal and sweat filled the dry, unbearable air. As i pulled the lever down, the heat entering my lungs with every breath. The electric humming of the saw ringing in my ears. My heart racing, head pounding, as I struggled to concentrate.”

Thoughts of why I am here wash over me, like the incessantly pounding rain. Realisation that this place I was taught to call ‘home’ didn't feel like a home at all, but instead a foreign landscape, unfamiliar, yet recognisable.

“My boss had just broken the news earlier…” His aggravated voice began lifting in volume. “Olfa was in debt, with no money left for wages.”  Snickering with disgust, he continues , “My boss didn't apologise or sympathise, but instead demanded we worked harder. He told me to be patient, promised time would pass. Said a solution was coming.”

A violent red fills his eyes. His hands, shaking. I can see the rage simmering to the surface. With his focus distant, he resumes, “we were already struggling. I was already struggling. I pulled the lever harder, the disk disintegrating into pieces beneath my hands, metal fragments springing up with rage, piercing into my naked eyes.”

“The ambulance arrived in a blur of red and blue light. The pain was-... Sacred. Useless. Anxiety engulfed me, trapped me. I craved a solution, yet nothing came to mind.”

“Three months later... Still, nothing. A job. But no income, no savings. ” His voice is caught in his throat as he struggles to form the words. “Nothing but struggle… and humiliation. I feared for il mio carissimi Bambi, you and your darling brother,” he chokes.

Quiet. A silence so deafening, as he draws his breath, and lets it back out with a sigh. I take a large gulp of coffee, no longer warm but slightly sweeter. I can see my reflection in his glassy green eyes. Salty tears slide down my rosy cheek, trickling slowly. I notice him following my tears with his eyes. His expression changes, as though he has been transported into the melancholy memories of his past.

“It was then that I made the crucial decision to migrate here. Leave my mother, father, my entire life behind, in search for a better life per la mia famiglia, il mio mondo. A better future for you.”

The restless sky grumbles again. My gaze shifts towards the unclear window. I stare at one particular droplet of rain. A looking glass into the once unrecognisable. Now clear, beautiful, simple. My home.

I inhale. The sweet smell of coffee travels through my senses.

Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »
Heyy, I was wondering if someone could read over my Discovery Creative. My biggest concern is that it is possibly to clique and maybe to dialogue based. I've written it off a personal experience and my teacher seems to think it is good but I am looking for a second opinion. Thank you :)

---

I inhale. The bitter smell of coffee travels through my senses. The icy grey sky restlessly grumbles, trapping me within the muggy air. An unexpectedly soothing feeling, catapulting me into a nostalgic haze of past vignettes - all around one small table... family and laughter, joined solely by bread and wine. Images so vivid, like pictures in a storybook I adored as a child.

I glance at my father. He is distant, eyes focused on each droplet of rain as they trickle down the window, like salty tears. He has a drained expression on his handsome face, lifting the black cup towards his mouth, but refusing to take a sip. It appears he too is clouded by those same memories. He takes a long, deep breath. His gaze still remains, as though if he stares at the water droplets for long enough and longingly enough he will, by some sort of osmosis, be transported into vibrant memories of his past.

“I’m so glad I’m here,” he admits, his disjointed voice leaving his cracked lips in small increments. Words my father spoke so often. Words I’ve never understood, despite the deep yearning for knowledge that constantly tugs at my conscience. “I was building agricultural and industrial at the time,” he continues, “for a company called Olfa. I was a manager, working six days a week, sometimes for twelve hours”.

He pauses for a while. Long enough for one to notice. And with his cup to his nose, he breathes in. His mind elsewhere, hypnotised once again by the bittersweet smell of burnt coffee.

“I remember this one humid day, I was working near the furnace.” He pauses, his voice flat and absent. “The smell of burning metal and sweat filled the dry, unbearable air. As i pulled the lever down, the heat entering my lungs with every breath. The electric humming of the saw ringing in my ears. My heart racing, head pounding, as I struggled to concentrate.”

Thoughts of why I am here wash over me, like the incessantly pounding rain. Realisation that this place I was taught to call ‘home’ didn't feel like a home at all, but instead a foreign landscape, unfamiliar, yet recognisable.

“My boss had just broken the news earlier…” His aggravated voice began lifting in volume. “Olfa was in debt, with no money left for wages.”  Snickering with disgust, he continues , “My boss didn't apologise or sympathise, but instead demanded we worked harder. He told me to be patient, promised time would pass. Said a solution was coming.”

A violent red fills his eyes. His hands, shaking. I can see the rage simmering to the surface. With his focus distant, he resumes, “we were already struggling. I was already struggling. I pulled the lever harder, the disk disintegrating into pieces beneath my hands, metal fragments springing up with rage, piercing into my naked eyes.”

“The ambulance arrived in a blur of red and blue light. The pain was-... Sacred. Useless. Anxiety engulfed me, trapped me. I craved a solution, yet nothing came to mind.”

“Three months later... Still, nothing. A job. But no income, no savings. ” His voice is caught in his throat as he struggles to form the words. “Nothing but struggle… and humiliation. I feared for il mio carissimi Bambi, you and your darling brother,” he chokes.

Quiet. A silence so deafening, as he draws his breath, and lets it back out with a sigh. I take a large gulp of coffee, no longer warm but slightly sweeter. I can see my reflection in his glassy green eyes. Salty tears slide down my rosy cheek, trickling slowly. I notice him following my tears with his eyes. His expression changes, as though he has been transported into the melancholy memories of his past.

“It was then that I made the crucial decision to migrate here. Leave my mother, father, my entire life behind, in search for a better life per la mia famiglia, il mio mondo. A better future for you.”

The restless sky grumbles again. My gaze shifts towards the unclear window. I stare at one particular droplet of rain. A looking glass into the once unrecognisable. Now clear, beautiful, simple. My home.

I inhale. The sweet smell of coffee travels through my senses.

I understand your concerns about the amount of dialogue and it can maybe be paired down but I think that markers don't like dialogue when it is used for the sake of it, when it has no meaning to the actual story. In your case, I think it works brilliantly. I think that the way you have actually described the dialogue eg. “I remember this one humid day, I was working near the furnace.” He pauses, his voice flat and absent. is so successful in giving your story an authentic voice, which is one of the hardest things to achieve in a creative. I think the touches of Italian (I am guessing) culture with the use of snippets of language also build upon this so my only suggestion would be to perhaps add a couple more references to your past culture but other than that it is very powerful and although moving to another country is not a new idea, the way you have written it, with the emphasis on dialogue, is refreshing.
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!