Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 09:24:21 am

Author Topic: Extension 2 Exam Technique  (Read 5958 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Extension 2 Exam Technique
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 11:08:23 am »
+1
Hey Rui

In terms of preparation for next friday (OH GOD ITS SO SOON). Do u reckon start from 2015 and work backwards? Or start from the time they began with MC qs?
That's entirely up to you. I went all over the place when I studied for 4U - I did whatever past paper I felt like doing.

If it's too late to make a decision then work backwards (i.e. start from 2015), because what was asked in the 2015 exam (apart from the free marks) will not likely be asked in the 2016 exam in comparison with the 2012 exam.

kb123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 05:50:02 pm »
How do people use their reading time in the ext 2 maths exam? I always feel like I'm wasting it... I just skim through the paper and have a look at the type of questions - any tips on how to make it more effective?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 06:30:17 pm »
How do people use their reading time in the ext 2 maths exam? I always feel like I'm wasting it... I just skim through the paper and have a look at the type of questions - any tips on how to make it more effective?
Exactly what I did and still what I do for my university exams.

It's a mere 5 minutes. If you're not using the time to skim through the questions then I don't know what else you could be doing. You're not supposed to be doing the multiple choice questions or something until you're absolutely sure of what you're being confronted with.

In the reading time, I first look at what types of questions. If I see a complex locus question I'd identify it on the spot, and maybe briefly think what the sketch looks like. Same with integrals; I just figure out what could be a likely method to use. I don't work on anything. I just understand what is on the test, and generate quick and brief ideas on how to tackle them.

kb123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 06:27:34 pm »
Exactly what I did and still what I do for my university exams.

It's a mere 5 minutes. If you're not using the time to skim through the questions then I don't know what else you could be doing. You're not supposed to be doing the multiple choice questions or something until you're absolutely sure of what you're being confronted with.

In the reading time, I first look at what types of questions. If I see a complex locus question I'd identify it on the spot, and maybe briefly think what the sketch looks like. Same with integrals; I just figure out what could be a likely method to use. I don't work on anything. I just understand what is on the test, and generate quick and brief ideas on how to tackle them.

ok thanks aha :)

hanaacdr

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 11:39:34 am »
How do you recommend studying for extension 2?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »
How do you recommend studying for extension 2?
However you studied for Extension 1 should be however you're studying for Extension 2. i.e. Past papers. The only difference is that Ext 2 is harder.

If you have more specific problems with studying, feel free to mention them.

Rathin

• Trendsetter
  • Arthur Phillip High School
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »
Any tips for time management? I tend to get stuck on a hard question for a long time instead of moving on..idk its just my nature to not give up..but it has let me down a couple of times. Also when I find a difficult question, I kinda get overwhelmed and just instantly think "nah"..how would I mentally approach difficult questions and If I do get stuck on a question for a period of time..what measures should I take?
2017 HSC
4u | 3u | Physics | Biology | Adv Eng | PDHPE

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »
+1
Any tips for time management? I tend to get stuck on a hard question for a long time instead of moving on..idk its just my nature to not give up..but it has let me down a couple of times. Also when I find a difficult question, I kinda get overwhelmed and just instantly think "nah"..how would I mentally approach difficult questions and If I do get stuck on a question for a period of time..what measures should I take?

You should never sit on a question without working for more than say, a minute, until you have finished working through the remainder of the exam (at least in my opinion). If after a minute you are stumped, you need to force yourself to circle the question and come back to it (along with any other circled questions) after everything else is done. You can devote more time to a question once you know you've gotten the 'easy' marks. It's all about mark maximisation :)

When I'm faced with a tough question for anything, I first try and draw a syllabus connection. What topic is being assessed? Is it similar to any other questions I have done? That narrows down the potential options I have, the potential avenues I can take. Once you've figured out the topic, run through the different methods from that topic in your head. See if any seem to fit or click in any way. Obviously, this depends on whether the question is conceptually difficult, algebraically difficult, or otherwise, but tough questions should first be approached by going back to the syllabus. That's where all the questions come from, so you can use it to sort of 'reverse engineer' the question, figure out what they want you to do :)

Just my two cents ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »
+3
If it's just your nature, then you need to learn to force it into yourself. Every now and then, you just have to begrudgingly say "I give up". Just think of it as "I give up... for now".

Because if it's your nature to not stray away from a question, then it means your brain doesn't fully realise what 'mark maximisation' encompasses. It's an exam, so you need to get as many marks as you can. Whilst possible, you aren't SUPPOSED to get every question out in an exam. If you don't force yourself out of this habit, you will never change out of it.

Sometimes people do past papers under exam conditions. This gives an opportunity to train this forcing as well.

I got distracted before I could finish what I was gonna post... Jamon has you covered for the second part.