Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:05:29 pm

Author Topic: Studying abroad in uni  (Read 1190 times)  Share 

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Studying abroad in uni
« on: September 26, 2019, 11:23:30 pm »
If you’ve studied a semester or year overseas, or have undertaken an intensive program abroad while at university, please share your experiences! (such as where you went, what you studied, costs, pros and cons)
I’m currently in high school and studying abroad is a dream of mine, and I’m sure many can relate, so I’d love to hear peoples experiences (:

Daweiii

• Adventurer
  • JMSS Grad!
  • Respect: +12
Re: Studying abroad in uni
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:51:23 pm »
+3
If you’ve studied a semester or year overseas, or have undertaken an intensive program abroad while at university, please share your experiences! (such as where you went, what you studied, costs, pros and cons)
I’m currently in high school and studying abroad is a dream of mine, and I’m sure many can relate, so I’d love to hear peoples experiences (:
Whereabouts would you like to study?

A few years ago I went to Hong Kong to study biomedicine for a semester, then came back to Australia. In terms of cost, it's pretty much the same as here (because I was born in HK, so I had local fees and accommodation was provided by my family).

Pros:
- Might be a bit skewed, but medicine specifically is an area where everyone is supportive. There's seriously no tension and any 'competition' among us, so that's great.
- I went to a prestigious uni, so the facility there were phenomenal
- I got to study back at 'home'

Cons:
- Although I was back at 'home', I felt a bit homesick (not majorly homesick; I just missed Aus too much :'()
- Man the lecturers talk fast af and smash through content faster than Melburninan lecturers. I'm pretty sure they learn 2nd year Melbourne biomed content in 1st year Hong Kong Biomed...
- I personally didn't relate to a lot of people because of a cultural difference (I was raised more like an Australian), so I guess you could say I felt a little bit isolated from people.

My experience wasn't exactly eye-opening, but nevertheless I am definitely happy I took the opportunity.

What would you like to study next year? :)
Medicine, Monash University

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:00:20 am »
Whereabouts would you like to study?

A few years ago I went to Hong Kong to study biomedicine for a semester, then came back to Australia. In terms of cost, it's pretty much the same as here (because I was born in HK, so I had local fees and accommodation was provided by my family).

Pros:
- Might be a bit skewed, but medicine specifically is an area where everyone is supportive. There's seriously no tension and any 'competition' among us, so that's great.
- I went to a prestigious uni, so the facility there were phenomenal
- I got to study back at 'home'

Cons:
- Although I was back at 'home', I felt a bit homesick (not majorly homesick; I just missed Aus too much :'()
- Man the lecturers talk fast af and smash through content faster than Melburninan lecturers. I'm pretty sure they learn 2nd year Melbourne biomed content in 1st year Hong Kong Biomed...
- I personally didn't relate to a lot of people because of a cultural difference (I was raised more like an Australian), so I guess you could say I felt a little bit isolated from people.

My experience wasn't exactly eye-opening, but nevertheless I am definitely happy I took the opportunity.

What would you like to study next year? :)
It’s great you were able to have family accomodation, as that would’ve taken the pressure off of some travelling costs so you can enjoy your studies. Thanks for your reply, Daweiii! I’m particularly interested in short term programs, as they’re a bit less hassle to deal with (I presume) and you may have the chance to visit more places. I’d love to explore South Korea, Japan, and Sweden as options to travel abroad. I’m just going into VCE next year, so I have plenty of time for uni haha. I’m not sure what I’d want to pursue just yet, although I am looking at Communications, Law, and Psychology as viable options (:

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:29:23 pm »
+3
I studied abroad last year and it was the best thing that ever happened! :)

I studied abroad at a liberal arts college in The Netherlands, studying French (yeah I know I should've gone to France haha) and politics.
The institution was entirely in English, no Dutch required. Also will say that the Netherlands (in addition to the UK of course) is one of the only countries where you can go to in Europe without speaking the local European languages (you might be able to in other countries but the courses may be limited).

Costs:
because it was an exchange between the universities, you pay the same fees as you would if you were studying at your home university. You can also get an OS-HELP loan from the government which is about $7-8k which will be added to your HECS as well. You can continue to receive Centrelink payments if eligible so please don't let finances put you off from studying abroad (although again, individual circumstances may differ).
I also received a $3k grant from my university. The accommodation in NL was actually cheaper for a larger room than what I was paying to live on res here (about $950/month vs $1250/month), but they did not have the concept of a "residential community", despite living in the same building with over a hundred students but each in our own studios.

Obviously I travelled quite a bit around Europe which obviously costed quite a bit but there are ways you can do this cheaply by staying in hostels and participating in free walking tours. I have been saving for this since I was like 15 lol so I was able to spend quite a bit and stay in nicer hotels.

pros
- travelling!!! Europe is so close to everywhere and super convenient! I was able to visit 20 different countries and see so many things I never imagined! :)
- because my institution was an English-speaking one, it was comprised of mostly international students and I did not feel left out at all amongst other students and the culture at the university
- less pressure because grades don't count towards your uni GPA, you just need to pass
- just the thrill and adventure of being 'away from home'

cons
- obviously it will cost quite a bit with flights, visas/legal docs, accommodation and personal travel
- getting lost and just being unfamiliar in a different culture in general (not at university but just outside such as even shopping, eating out, walking on the right-hand side lol)
- fitting everything into my luggage/packing
- filling out legal documents such as visas and stuff is annoying
- not living on campus (but still not too far to walk/tram)

Bottom line: do it. It'll be amazing.
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams