Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 11:38:21 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348550 times)  Share 

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
Re: HSC Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1110 on: March 18, 2018, 07:50:50 pm »
Hii,

For the dot point "Compare responses of named ectothermic and endothermic organisms...", do we need to know the scientific name of each organism, or is 'Red Kangaroo' enough?

Also for "Develop a model of a feedback mechanism" is a flowchart of how the stimulus-response pathway assists temperature control in the body enough? I don't know if I'm studying less than I should be lol

Thank you!!
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #1111 on: March 18, 2018, 08:27:28 pm »
+3
Hii,

For the dot point "Compare responses of named ectothermic and endothermic organisms...", do we need to know the scientific name of each organism, or is 'Red Kangaroo' enough?

Also for "Develop a model of a feedback mechanism" is a flowchart of how the stimulus-response pathway assists temperature control in the body enough? I don't know if I'm studying less than I should be lol

Thank you!!
1. Red kangaroo is enough, but just kangaroo is not. So yes, use your red kangaroos and, for ectotherms, red bellied black snakes, blue tounge lizards etc.
You have to be speciffic but not scientiffic
2. Yes that's perfect, a flow chart that explains how different tempratures trigger the stimulus-response pathway and what happens as a result, eg. Sweating, shivering etc. is exactly what they mean
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1112 on: March 19, 2018, 05:17:14 am »
Hi,
So basically a mutation in DNA can change cell function in this way
Mutation -> mRNA codons are altered due to changed DNA -> tRNA codons altered due to changed mRNA -> potentially different amino acids in the chain -> different polypeptide -> different protein -> different cell function
I do hope that makes sense  :)

Hello,
Man every time I tried searching it up, I'd see the below flow charts and I was just like ._. So thank you so much for that explanation it really helped me!

Thank you

from theyam :)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1113 on: March 19, 2018, 08:31:50 am »
Hello,
Man every time I tried searching it up, I'd see the below flow charts and I was just like ._. So thank you so much for that explanation it really helped me!

Thank you

from theyam :)
Ahhh yes, so that diagram makes sense to me but I agree, it's not the best at explaining the concept when people havnt learnt it before. I'm glad I helped  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1114 on: March 19, 2018, 04:59:26 pm »
1. Red kangaroo is enough, but just kangaroo is not. So yes, use your red kangaroos and, for ectotherms, red bellied black snakes, blue tounge lizards etc.
You have to be speciffic but not scientiffic
2. Yes that's perfect, a flow chart that explains how different tempratures trigger the stimulus-response pathway and what happens as a result, eg. Sweating, shivering etc. is exactly what they mean

Thank you so so much! :D
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1115 on: March 24, 2018, 03:21:47 pm »
Helllo could someone explain the reasoning to get the answer to this?

I think that at least B is definitely out as males can't be carriers, but how do I go on from there?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #1116 on: March 24, 2018, 03:28:22 pm »
+2
Helllo could someone explain the reasoning to get the answer to this?

I think that at least B is definitely out as males can't be carriers, but how do I go on from there?

Hey,
So first you need to identify the mode of transmission. It must be X linked because individual 1 is not affected (he would be if it was Y linked). It also must be recessive because Individual 2 is not affected. So now you know that it is a X linked recessive trait.

This means that individual 1 cannot be a carrier (as you have already identified). Therefore individual 2 must be a carrier (otherwise their children could not have the condition).

Males cannot be carries of X linked recessive disorders as they only have 1 X chromosome so therefore Individual 3 must be normal. (Individual 3's partner would be the carrier who gave their son the condition).

Therefore the answer is C.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1117 on: March 27, 2018, 07:37:25 pm »
Could someone please explain how to get the answer for this? x

Thanks

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1118 on: March 27, 2018, 09:19:53 pm »
+2
well this is meiosis where the different sized chromosomes are homologous. (The diagram represents an organism with 4 diploid chromosomes or 2 pairs of homologous chromosomes). In reality humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. So the homologous chromosomes meet at the middle during metaphase 1. Crossing over can occur in which segments of homologous chromosomes swap over, resulting in new combinations of alleles.

What is important to note is that the two different sides of the second cell(in the diagram) will split into two different cells.
This means that the ABAb chromosome will end up with the EDED chromosome in a separate cell after the cell divides into two.

After this they will split again and the end result is a daughter cell with two single chromatids(without the centromere connecting another one).
Remember each big chromosome e.g. AB or Ab must have a small chromosome e.g. ED or ED in each daughter cell since they are different chromosomes and the daughter cell needs a copy of each.

So really the AB can go with ED or ED but they are the same so
combo 1: ABED
combo 2:AbED
combo 3:aBed
combo 4:abed

Hope that helps. See the attachment for what the end result should look like. :) though it doesn't show crossing over
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:04:37 pm by jasn9776 »
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
  • Work hard and be rewarded
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #1119 on: March 27, 2018, 11:08:01 pm »
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with 9.4 Search for better health FQ3 where it asks to describe a named infectious disease in terms of cause, transmission etc. My class has chosen to do Malaria and I'm struggling to understand how the transmission of Malaria takes place. I was wondering if someone could lay it out in steps of what happens in the malaria transmission cycle (pretend you're explaining to a five-year-old)

Thanks in advance :)
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1120 on: March 28, 2018, 07:19:26 am »
+3
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with 9.4 Search for better health FQ3 where it asks to describe a named infectious disease in terms of cause, transmission etc. My class has chosen to do Malaria and I'm struggling to understand how the transmission of Malaria takes place. I was wondering if someone could lay it out in steps of what happens in the malaria transmission cycle (pretend you're explaining to a five-year-old)

Thanks in advance :)

Ok so mosquitoes suck people's blood
Malaria is in persons blood
Mosquito carries malaria inside it
Mosquito sucks another person's blood
They inject a little bit of saliva as they suck the blood
Malaria goes into the new person's blood
Malaria then attacks red blood cells and reproduces in the liver
Malaria continues to attack blood cells and make person sick.
Another mosquito can then come and transfer malaria from sick person to a healthy person in the same way and the cycle continues

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
  • Work hard and be rewarded
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #1121 on: March 28, 2018, 11:55:50 am »
Ok so mosquitoes suck people's blood

Thank you so much, clears everything up :)
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I

Mate2425

• Trendsetter
  • "A rolling stone, gathers no moss!"
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1122 on: April 01, 2018, 09:25:39 am »
Hi i just wondering if they are any alternatives to the HSC Biology 2017 Q27a answer. The answer seems too simple.
Thanks  :)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1123 on: April 01, 2018, 10:03:31 am »
Hi i just wondering if they are any alternatives to the HSC Biology 2017 Q27a answer. The answer seems too simple.
Ayy that was my year! Remind me, what was the question again?

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #1124 on: April 01, 2018, 11:04:33 am »

Hey! I agree, when those answers came out, my class was baffled at how simplistic their answer was, clearly that wasn't worth the 2 marks... right?

My answer looked like something like the attached, and I feel like that was plenty for the 2 marks.
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!