Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 11:35:06 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348550 times)  Share 

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
chromosomes in general

:3

• Forum Regular
  • (─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2016, 09:51:41 pm »
chromosomes in general

Chromosomes basically carry the genetic information needed to carry out certain roles within the body and also contributes to one's characteristics.

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2016, 09:51:53 pm »
chromosomes in general

They're the things that carry our genetic information pretty much. Most things about you are going to be defined by your chromosomes and how each gene is expressed (Except for stuff like impact of environment on the expression of the phenotype and nature v. nature)

Chromosomes never leave the nucleus. How they code for proteins is all under 'polypeptide synthesis'
Depending on what option you're doing you may need to know really in depth things about them e.g in the code broken.
The main thing is to know that its just DNA (all that stuff about Watson and Crick is the history) but its the basis of pretty much all life.

aimbotted

• Forum Regular
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2016, 09:54:22 pm »
Gene homologues and gene cascades. Why. Just why.
I really struggle with those 7 or 8 mark questions at the end of the code broken that have vague mentions of technology and genetics and genetic change and development. What kind of things are really core to understanding gene homologues and gene cascades and how they fit within all those 8 mark questions?

i feel your pain, i have no clue as to how i should be answering any 5-6-7 questions

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2016, 09:55:54 pm »
i feel your pain, i have no clue as to how i should be answering any 5-6-7 questions

Really hoping for a recombinant DNA/Human genome question. Anything but the last dotpoint  :(

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2016, 09:56:00 pm »
then how does the chromosome study relate to Boveri and Sutton? is it because they discovered that chromosomes are required for the normal production of DNA in the body?

aimbotted

• Forum Regular
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2016, 09:57:20 pm »
Really hoping for a recombinant DNA/Human genome question. Anything but the last dotpoint  :(

gene expression is absolutely terrifying too haha

aimbotted

• Forum Regular
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2016, 09:58:29 pm »
then how does the chromosome study relate to Boveri and Sutton? is it because they discovered that chromosomes are required for the normal production of DNA in the body?

well one of them discovered that they must have 2 set of chromosomes for an organism to function properly ( i think) and the other found that inheritance of characteristics is due to chromosomes

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2016, 09:59:33 pm »
thanks aimbotted

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2016, 10:00:39 pm »

Pretty much the main thing that Sutton and Boveri did is show that you have to inherit an exact amount of chromosomes from your father and an exact amount from your mother, otherwise the embryo will not function properly or may not be viable at all.

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2016, 10:01:59 pm »
thank you!!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2016, 10:09:24 pm »
Hey Skidoos, do you think you could re upload that report you did on Artificial Blood?

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »

For any 5-8mrk question you should be analysing the question and breaking it down to be see what they're asking of you and then writing your response. Question that ask to discuss, assess, evaluate should make sure your points are explained.
Discuss says points AND/OR against so you can do all for and all against but you should try to do both sides of the argue me that
Assess/Evaluate you need to make a judgement and make it clear
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2016, 10:14:21 pm »

Hey Skidoos, do you think you could re upload that report you did on Artificial Blood?
Artificial Blood Report

Abstract
This report will examine the production of artificial blood. Including its advantages/ disadvantages, clinical trials of a chosen blood substitute as well as the reasoning as to why the blood substitute could potentially be an effective substitute and why blood substitutes are needed in the first place. 

Introduction
Artificial blood is the name given to a substance used to mimic and fulfill some functions of biological blood, although it cannot carry out all functions of blood, for example it cannot, help clotting, immune defence or coagulation. Although it can carry carbon dioxide and oxygen.
Blood substitutes are designed to carry oxygen and carbon dioxide. An ideal blood substitute should lack antigenicity and eliminate, or at least substantially reduce, the ability to transmit infections. In addition, it should be readily available, should have a long half-life, and should be capable of being stored at room temperature. The biologic properties of an ideal blood substitute should include a reasonable amount of oxygen delivery, when compared to normal human red blood cells.

Example of Blood Substitutes
An example of blood substitutes is maleimide-polyethylene glycol hemoglobin (MP4). MP4 is currently under development in the UK and is a blood substitute made of Haemoglobin obtained from out-of-date human blood and modified using maleimide-polyethylene glycol in order to make the molecule bulkier as well as altering shape of the molecule. By doing this MP4 has a great oxygen affinity which is essential for a blood substitute. MP4 being a blood substitute does not, however, provide many other functionings of blood such as the clotting and immune defence.

Clinical Trials
MP4 has undergone many clinical trials on pigs and some humans in order to test its effectiveness of transporting oxygen as well as its ability to assist in the recovery of hemorrhaging without causing vasoconstriction. These trials have shown successful results in the ability of MP4, however more research is needed in order to prove whether or not it is ready to be used on humans as an effective blood substitute.

Why is it needed?
Blood substitutes such as MP4 are needed due to the fact that there are many obstacles that need to be overcome that are associated with blood donation. Donors of blood are required in order for a supply of blood to be given to those who need it. There is a deficit of people willing to donate their blood and thus a substitute is needed due to the fact that more blood is needed in hospitals to treat patients as a result of blood having a relatively short shelf life and there not being as many donors to replace all the unused blood donations. The development of MP4 allows for the blood to be in ready supply to treat patients such as providing blood to those who are extremely anaemic with blood transfusions. With the development of and eventual use of MP4, there would not be an issue with the amount of blood received from blood donations as it can be synthetically produced in labs to provide treatment to those who need it as well as MP4 having a relatively long shelf life so that it can be ready to use even after an extended period of time.
Blood received from donors goes through a screening process in order to ensure that there are not antigens and other possible diseases that are present within the blood. There is a risk that some of the blood may contain blood-borne pathogens such as HIV, AIDS and Hepatitis-C when donated. As a result of this, the development of MP4 is essential for society in order to reduce the risk of pathogens such as HIV from being unintentionally passed on due to screening of donor blood missing pathogens within them and thus providing safe blood transfusion and blood usage during surgery for patients.

Conclusion
Artificial Blood is better known as Blood substitutes as they only perform some of the functions of blood such as the transportation of oxygen and carbon dioxide. The development of the blood substitute MP4 has shown promising potential due to its high affinity for oxygen shown through clinical trials. This development is beneficial for society as it allows for potential use for the blood substitute as a means of providing doctors and patients with a ready to supply source of blood for surgeries and transfusion without running the risk of possible blood-borne pathogens being present within the sample.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:10 pm »
Also my name is Skidous, you should learn the names of your mods :)