Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 12:34:48 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348551 times)  Share 

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »
im so sorry Skidous, my computer must have autocorrected your name to Skidoos instead i apologise profusely but thank you so much for the report.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2016, 10:18:39 pm »

im so sorry Skidous, my computer must have autocorrected your name to Skidoos instead i apologise profusely but thank you so much for the report.
No problem I've had it happen before :)
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2016, 10:48:02 pm »
No problem I've had it happen before :)

On behalf of all of the atarnotes community, we sincerely hope you can recover from this mispronunciation - all hail king skidous!  ;D ;D ;D
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2016, 10:51:26 pm »

On behalf of all of the atarnotes community, we sincerely hope you can recover from this mispronunciation - all hail king skidous!  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you legal man

Neutron

• Trendsetter
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2016, 11:03:12 am »
Hey!

Didn't know there was a bio thread on ATAR notes hahaha but I'm happy there is! I was wondering whether one of you guys know how to answer the horrific 8 marker from 2007? Here's the question :)

Scientists at a climate research unit estimate that global land areas have warmed at an average rate of 0.07°C per decade from 1901 to 2000.
Analyse the possible effects of temperature change on Australian plants and animals with regard to the short-term survival of individuals and long-term survival of species.

Perhaps maybe a dot point outline of what I really need to talk about? So the question is quite evidently in two parts, short-term and long-term. Would you say that for short-term, you discuss the adaptive features of the plant that assist with excessive heat? And then for long-term go into evolution? Cheers

Neutron

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2016, 11:56:36 am »
Glad you discovered it!! Personally i think that this question is a killer..

The notes from the marking centre are below in the spoiler.

Spoiler
In better responses, candidates explained the consequences of temperature change using correct biological terminology for specific examples of both animals and plants, and demonstrated a sound understanding of natural selection.
In weaker responses, candidates simply stated some generalised animal and/or plant responses. Weaker responses incorrectly described the process of organisms adapting to climate change in a Lamarckian way. Some responses described responses to water loss in terms of the structural features of plants, without linking it to a rise in temperature.

These are the dot points covered: 9.2.3.2.9, 9.3.4.3.4, 9.3.1.2.1, 9.3.4.2.6, 9.2.1.2.7/8/9, 9.2.1.3.3. Anyone trouble with deciphering these dot points let me know :D

Also the marking guidelines in the spoiler for a 7-8
Spoiler
just bear with the lack of spaces please :) if you can't it can be found here
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/exam-papers-2007/pdf_doc/biology-notes-07.pdf
Explainspossibleconsequencesoftemperaturechangeforplantsand animals using examples of individuals and species
•  Relatesimplicationsofchangesinsurvivalofindividualstosurvivalof species
•  Demonstratescoherenceandlogicalprogressionandincludescorrectuseof scientific principles and ideas
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:04:46 pm by studybuddy7777 »

lha

• Trendsetter
  • School: Lambton High School
« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
Im having trouble with answering this question:

People can have problems with communication because of difficulties in the sending, receiving or interpretation of some signals. How has an increased understanding of sight and hearing led to improved assistance for people with difficulties in communicating? 7 marks

Actually my problem doesnt lie within what to write but how to make it concise. My answer for this goes for way too long and i think for 7 markers the average should be 1-1.5 pages right? Anyways if anyone could show me a band 6 response to show me how to include all the relevant info for 7 marks while keeping it in a concise form, that would be great!

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2016, 02:48:31 pm »
First question: the answer is basically that it does not produce a clone of the female whose ovaries were combined.
- Refer to Boveri's experiment with sea urchins: he discovered that if only the nucleus of one parent was present, it would result in abnormalities (not 100% sure why but probably due to chromosomes not being transferred properly).
- Refer to how crossing over, independent assortment and random segregation during meisos results in a different and unique genetic makeup to that of the parent cell within each daughter cell produced.

Second question:
- the kidney is fundamentally involved in homeostasis; it removes excess substances and nitrogenous waste that is either not needed by or toxic to the body, or reabsorps substances needed by the body for optimal functiong (e.g. salt and water).
- For how it works, are there any specific areas/concepts you are unsure about? The process itself can't be simplified other than the fact that blood enters it, reabsorption occurs throughout and the left over bits are excreted as urine.

Hopefully this helps :).

Thanks so much!
In terms of the kidney I just don't understand what the steps are i guess, in terms of the mammalian kidney. I've read over some content on it but i guess it just isn't sticking. Is there anyway of remembering the steps and each part of the nephron that it occurs in?
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2016, 02:59:21 pm »
Thanks so much!
In terms of the kidney I just don't understand what the steps are i guess, in terms of the mammalian kidney. I've read over some content on it but i guess it just isn't sticking. Is there anyway of remembering the steps and each part of the nephron that it occurs in?
What year is this question from?

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »
What year is this question from?

HSC 2014. Question 29 (5 marks)
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »

Im having trouble with answering this question:

People can have problems with communication because of difficulties in the sending, receiving or interpretation of some signals. How has an increased understanding of sight and hearing led to improved assistance for people with difficulties in communicating? 7 marks

Actually my problem doesnt lie within what to write but how to make it concise. My answer for this goes for way too long and i think for 7 markers the average should be 1-1.5 pages right? Anyways if anyone could show me a band 6 response to show me how to include all the relevant info for 7 marks while keeping it in a concise form, that would be great!

Well to be concise you would tackle each of these responses separately and only include very necessary information. There really isn't much else other than ensuring that the info you write is really necessary and using specific examples to get your point across

Hope this helps

:3

• Forum Regular
  • (─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2016, 04:01:41 pm »
Thanks so much!

This diagram had really helped me out when it came to understanding the kidney:

Picturing/memorising the kidney like this and following the movement of blood through it can really help.

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2016, 04:09:20 pm »
This diagram had really helped me out when it came to understanding the kidney:

(Image removed from quote.)

Picturing/memorising the kidney like this and following the movement of blood through it can really help.

I will definitely try that. Thank you!
--HSC subjects--

lha

• Trendsetter
  • School: Lambton High School
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2016, 05:37:22 pm »
Well to be concise you would tackle each of these responses separately and only include very necessary information. There really isn't much else other than ensuring that the info you write is really necessary and using specific examples to get your point across

Hope this helps

But what is relevant or necessary to put in?

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2016, 06:00:17 pm »

But what is relevant or necessary to put in?
That will come down to the question itself
If you're doing a question on the importance of accommodation (for the communication option) you wouldn't necessarily need to take about the refractive powers of the vitreous or aqueous humour. Whilst it is relevant to the refraction of light to hit the retina it isn't necessary for the question as all you would need to talk about is the ciliary body, suspensory ligaments and the changing in curvature of the lens with regards to the light hitting the retina.

It takes practice but you should try to break down the question and look at what absolutely must be included and whether other bits of information that may tie in with the question are suitable to add in or will just take up valuable writing space. It's better to answer the question than add useless information just because you know it.

Hope this helps