Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 04:28:23 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348567 times)  Share 

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 19, 2016, 03:52:48 pm »
Hey guys quick question you know how transgenes are made using bacterial plasmids, I am a bit confused about how it is inserted into a species? For example how do they insert the anti-freeze gene from salmon into strawberries?

christinebelista

• Adventurer
  • RIPNDIP
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #421 on: October 19, 2016, 04:21:57 pm »
Hey guys quick question you know how transgenes are made using bacterial plasmids, I am a bit confused about how it is inserted into a species? For example how do they insert the anti-freeze gene from salmon into strawberries?

The process of transferring genetic material requires the use of enzymes. Basically they're scissors to cut out the required genetic material, and glue when the foreign genetic material is inserted into the recipient's genetic material, = gene splicing.

You could also do this by microinjection and particle gun. I hope they don't ask about this tomorrow thougH HAHA it's a weird question

How would you guys set up your answer for this question?

subjects: 
- advanced english
- mathematics
- mathematics ext 1
- chemistry 
- biology
- ancient history
- sor1

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #422 on: October 19, 2016, 04:27:21 pm »
Hello !
Just wondering how much do you have to write for an 8 marker?
and also what do you guys do during reading time? like do you answer the multiple questions straight away first? or read the short answers and stuff? what would be the most effective approach for the reading time

Thankyou !

christopherk8

• Adventurer
  • School: olol
« Reply #423 on: October 19, 2016, 04:40:19 pm »
Hello !
and also what do you guys do during reading time? like do you answer the multiple questions straight away first? or read the short answers and stuff? what would be the most effective approach for the reading time

Thankyou !

in my opinion for an eight marker you should be filling up the whole lines given and go beyond them if you have to....just to be sure that you are covering all parts of the question especially since a lot of detail is required......and i always to multiple choice first just because there are sometimes questions that trigger pieces of information that you can use in the short answers and it eases you into the exam

Ragdolls

• Adventurer
« Reply #424 on: October 19, 2016, 04:47:52 pm »
Hello !

Thankyou !

During reading time I usually try to read as many short answer questions as possible and attempt to plan them in my head. Also, if I have any time left I go over my option questions so my mind is set on the content. Apparently you shouldn't read multiple choice, especially considering it is the easiest section a lot of the time and you have enough time to complete it. You usually don't need all the allocated time to complete the M.C questions so you have time to read the question and options carefully in the allocated multiple choice time. Hope that helps!
Keep smiling and be happy!

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #425 on: October 19, 2016, 04:52:04 pm »
In my notes for transportation in plants, I have notes about pressure flow theory (phloem) and pretty sure I understand that but I also have noted that there are two theories associated with it - symplastic and apoplastic loading. is it necessary I know what these are? (and if I am supposed to know....what are they?)
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

smile123

• Trailblazer
  • School: cerdon college
« Reply #426 on: October 19, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »
hey  :)
I was wondering if some one can tell me what Is the guanine bases in human DNA

justdoit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #427 on: October 19, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
Heyy, Imtrying :)

They will ask questions about the process by which minerals and sugars are transported in the phloem, so it is better to know the exact process. Since you do know that phloem actively loads at the source through apoploastic and symplastic loading,its really good but in case it becomes a 5 marker instead of a 3 or 4.

You can write that
symplostic loading:. sugars move into the cytoplasm from the mesophyll cells to sieve tube via the plasmodesmata
apoplastic: sugars move to the cell wall to the cell membrane into the sieve tube by active transport

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #428 on: October 19, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »
Heyy, Imtrying :)

They will ask questions about the process by which minerals and sugars are transported in the phloem, so it is better to know the exact process. Since you do know that phloem actively loads at the source through apoploastic and symplastic loading,its really good but in case it becomes a 5 marker instead of a 3 or 4.

You can write that
symplostic loading:. sugars move into the cytoplasm from the mesophyll cells to sieve tube via the plasmodesmata
apoplastic: sugars move to the cell wall to the cell membrane into the sieve tube by active transport

Thank you!!!
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

justdoit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #429 on: October 19, 2016, 05:59:40 pm »
No worries  :D

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #430 on: October 19, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »
During reading time I usually try to read as many short answer questions as possible and attempt to plan them in my head. Also, if I have any time left I go over my option questions so my mind is set on the content. Apparently you shouldn't read multiple choice, especially considering it is the easiest section a lot of the time and you have enough time to complete it. You usually don't need all the allocated time to complete the M.C questions so you have time to read the question and options carefully in the allocated multiple choice time. Hope that helps!

in my opinion for an eight marker you should be filling up the whole lines given and go beyond them if you have to....just to be sure that you are covering all parts of the question especially since a lot of detail is required......and i always to multiple choice first just because there are sometimes questions that trigger pieces of information that you can use in the short answers and it eases you into the exam

Thanks guys !! :)

stephanieazzopardi

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #431 on: October 19, 2016, 06:31:08 pm »
hey  :)
I was wondering if some one can tell me what Is the guanine bases in human DNA

Guanine is a purine containing 2 carbon chains, and pairs with cytosine in the formation of a DNA strand. If you were asked to calculate the number of guanine bases in a sample of human DNA, the number of guanine bases would always equal the number of cytosine bases. Likewise, the number of adenine bases would always equal the number of thymine bases in a DNA strand. Hope this helped! :)
ATAR: 95.70
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) @ University of Sydney

aaron_solomon

• Adventurer
« Reply #432 on: October 19, 2016, 08:06:13 pm »
can someone please explain to me the relationship between the structure and behaviour of chromosomes during meiosis and the inheritance of genes?

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
« Reply #433 on: October 19, 2016, 08:36:29 pm »
is random segregation and independent assortment the same thing?

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #434 on: October 19, 2016, 09:24:37 pm »
Hi!
I'm kinda confused on the larynx and the pitch it produces. When its a high pitch will the vocal chords be longer and the gap between the vocal fold is smaller? and vice versa for low pitch?
thankkksss