Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:14:53 pm

Author Topic: The Tennis Thread!  (Read 61515 times)

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
Re: The Tennis Thread!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »
I actually like andy murrays style of play. He's one of those type who can do really good sneeky shots in the corners but can make heaps of sily errors at the same time.

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:01 pm »
imagine dennis commetti commentating the tennis :D

It's a shame channel 10 no long get AFL rights, they have a much better commentary team than channel 7 IMO

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:27:33 pm »
lol, i really hope they get someone better than jim courier =.=" he's so boring!

Really? I find him witty, informative and entertaining. Has some pretty insightful comments that go beyond "she/he really needs to stop making unforced errors" most of the time. I used to dislike him a bit (anti-American bias) but I've taken a liking to him and think he's easily the best commentator on channel seven.

HENRI LECONTE!!! Get around him.

Haha, his first big commentary match was okay but now I really can't stand him.

imagine dennis commetti commentating the tennis :D

It's a shame channel 10 no long get AFL rights, they have a much better commentary team than channel 7 IMO

Dennis is witty at least, and you just feel as though (a Bruceism) he'd have the brains to stay out of the special comments, don't you?

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 04:31:24 pm »
I actually like andy murrays style of play. He's one of those type who can do really good sneeky shots in the corners but can make heaps of sily errors at the same time.

Yeah agree, I find his matches fairly enthralling most of the time.

-----

Do people trust hawk eye?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:37:50 pm by lexitu »

nbhindi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:52 pm »
Gale Monfils is way better than Murray at hitting sneaky shots
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:42:23 pm by nbhindi »
UniMelb - Bachelor of Biomedicine, Major: Pharmacology (2012-2014)
UniMelb - Doctor of Medicine (2015-2018)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »
Really? I find him witty, informative and entertaining. Has some pretty insightful comments that go beyond "she/he really needs to stop making unforced errors" most of the time. I used to dislike him a bit (anti-American bias) but I've taken a liking to him and think he's easily the best commentator on channel seven.

That's true, but yeah, I guess it's my anti-American bias going on ;D LOL! John Alexander is pretty good too though, in my opinion!

Do people trust hawk eye?

More than the line judges! :P

Yeah, but it's not the exciting sort of game Nadal plays, like with Nadal, he can keep you on the edge of your set with some of his rallies and when he runs around his backhand you know shiet's gonna go down!

Koopa

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 05:39:35 pm »
+2
Looking forward to this year's Open.

I also agree that Jim Courier is probably the best commentator of Channel 7's team, but I find the constant plugging of Officeworks and programs is a bit ridiculous in their commentary. It was especially awkward when they had to do that during the premiere of Cougar Town. (And he's a lot better than Hewitt, bleh.) I do like Todd Woodbridge's commentary though.

Leconte is a pretty funny commentator when I first watched a match he commentated, but I find it very one-dimensional soon afterwards. (Plus the bias he has towards Monfils and Tsonga can get very irritating.)
""The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present."

2011: who cares. :D
2012: lolwut. @ Monash University

aabattery

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • AΩ The secret of success is constancy of purpose
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Scotch College
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 05:51:59 pm »
Really excited for the open too... 
Fed and stosur to win hopefully...  :P
Monash Clayton BMus(Pianoforte)/LLB DipLang (Indonesian) III    

Class of '11, 99.50, Music Performance (50)

Happy to help if you have any music/indo/legal questions! :)

------------------------------------------------------------

INDONESIAN SL and MUSIC PERFORMANCE TUITION Also Piano/Theory/Musicianship Lessons
PM or email me at [email protected] if interested :)

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »
+1
Love the tennis. Its a shame Australia doesn't have any real contenders (in the male side). Stosur is doing well so a home win would be good for her. Its a shame Justine Henin-Ardenne has fully retired. She was easily my favourite tennis player when I was younger.

Hopefully Nadal and Federer make it to the finals. There matches are always so intense
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 09:12:35 pm »
Love the tennis. Its a shame Australia doesn't have any real contenders (in the male side). Stosur is doing well so a home win would be good for her. Its a shame Justine Henin-Ardenne has fully retired. She was easily my favourite tennis player when I was younger.

Agree so much, Justine Henin-Ardenne was one of the few people I admired for a single-handed backhand (I dislike them). Really great to watch.

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:36 pm »

Agree so much, Justine Henin-Ardenne was one of the few people I admired for a single-handed backhand (I dislike them). Really great to watch.

Exactly.. The way she played was just great to watch. She was such a smart player. Love her accent too. 
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 12:04:33 am »
+1
Is Serena in the draw this year? I hope she doesnt win.. Dont like her very much

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 01:48:29 am »
One handed-backhands, damn, I love them, just cause when I play tennis, I have a one-hander as well :D, it feels so much more natural than a two hander, like I can hit two-handers as well, but that's only for power though, everything else feels so unnatural with a two-hander

But I love Richard Gasquet's backhand, it's freakin phenomenal, anyone see the Hopman Cup match, Gasquet v Hewitt?

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:22 am »
+1
One handed-backhands, damn, I love them, just cause when I play tennis, I have a one-hander as well :D, it feels so much more natural than a two hander, like I can hit two-handers as well, but that's only for power though, everything else feels so unnatural with a two-hander

But I love Richard Gasquet's backhand, it's freakin phenomenal, anyone see the Hopman Cup match, Gasquet v Hewitt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGWkwaMWaDk

Like a boss.
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 02:06:12 am »
One of the best backhands in the world, you can't hit shots like that with a two-hander, you just can't get the angle