Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:22:54 am

Author Topic: Eng Language vs Literature?  (Read 1106 times)  Share 

iamblossom

• Fresh Poster
  • consider my jimmies rustled
  • Respect: 0
Eng Language vs Literature?
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:36:06 pm »
Hi, I'm wondering whether its worth switching to English Language for units 3/4 this year.

Some background: I did unit 1/2 literature last year and enjoyed it. Got all A's and am fairly confident ill do fine this year as well.
This years literature texts and themes are really dull to me, and all the tasks and concerns are really repetitive. I don't know if I can be bothered going through the entire year with it.

I went over the study design for English Language and it looks super interesting and is definitely up my alley. One of my considerations for uni is linguistics, so I do feel it's relevant.

I don't think I'll fail at either, but I am worried I won't get high marks in literature because it's not as black and white as language, but on the other hand im worried about not getting high marks in language because I'm not familiar with the subject at all.

TL;DR: Is language enjoyable, is it worth dropping literature for, and is it hard to catch up on unit 1/2 eng lang?

please help if i dont get above a 90 atar my mom will extradite me back to africa donate to my paypal cheerio

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
Re: Eng Language vs Literature?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:41:59 am »
+2
To be honest, all you need to know from 1/2 is the metalanguage relevant for 3/4. You can easily learn these within the first couple weeks from a book such as 'English language for senior students: A guide to metalanguage' by Kirsten Fox. I'm not sure how hard you are willing to work in Literature but English Language is definitely the better choice if you are willing to work hard at it versus put zero effort into Literature since you don't like it. Since year 12 is long, I personally would take EngLang and ask for teacher feedback on essays early on rather than try do Literature. It's not good if you already 'can't be bothered by it' before school has even started.

The issue is analytical commentaries might not be something similar to what you did in Literature, and might end up not being your cup of tea.

Hope this helps!
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Eng Language vs Literature?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 02:52:07 pm »
+2
Hey,

I did literature (units 1&2) in year 11 and switched to eng lang for year 12. As long as you get lots of feedback on your writing I don't see any issues with swapping over. As exit said, it's a good idea to learn the metalanguage quickly - this, books, Google & notes can all help with that.