Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 10:52:47 am

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 6523 times)  Share 

1ne

Depression
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:08:53 pm »
Hey guys, so I've moved through mild to high depression, it all started when I was 15 and now It's been getting much worse.. it seems like nothing in this life makes me happy, has anyone ever felt this feeling before? Not matter what, it just seems that nothing really satisfies me, has anyone here felt that way before, if so how did you deal with it? It's pretty much made me dysfunctional for Year 12. Yes I know that I should see a therapist or psychiatrist but the waiting list is very long and I'm afraid it's gonna take a while before I see one. Anyone had the same sort of feelings where nothing makes you happy, you hate yourself, etc. So far the only time I remember being extremely happy for the last past 2 Years is when I became a hardcore Christian, i don't know why but there was this blissful and euphoric feeling about it, but since then I've doubted God.. and don't believe anymore..

Shouldn't probably post this stuff on an educational forum but I realize that there are many people who are smart and studying Medicine and stuff so I thought it was relevant.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:05 pm »
+1
I've definitely had these feelings before... At the moment I'm feeling a little down because these school holidays didn't turn out the way I hoped they would and I've had a couple of other waves of this sort of feeling after various personal events. See if you can find anyone who will listen to you. Sometimes, just talking to a good friend or family member will make you feel much better. If you're not able to do this, it's just extremely important you get your feelings out some way and don't just bottle them up. It's also very important you continue to do things you enjoy so you can escape from these sorts of feelings for a while.

When I feel like this, I brainstorm my thoughts. I literally draw my thought process down on a piece of paper and generally it helps me to reach some sort of conclusion and it makes me feel better.

If you ever feel like talking to me, you're more than welcome to send a PM. :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:51:26 pm by Stick »
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »
You're definitely not alone! And never feel like you are!
For me it got pretty bad at 15 too. It comes and goes..
But I just think of what I love and what I live for (I love the outdoors, and literature, and people,
and I live to one day help another, even if it's just one person, I find solace in that)
School makes me feel crappy too, but remember its just another 8 months, and just try your best (even if it isn't THE best, as defined by the state on results day,you'll feel good knowing you tried your hardest)
 Try talking to your schools welfare person or even your coordinators or a teacher you like,
They're there to make your experience better, even if it's just for a chat)

And there's nothing wrong with posting it here, it's a part of school life and we are all a community
Here to help one another

Xx
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:05:38 pm »
+1
Does your school have a counsellor? If they're not completely useless, that's probably your first step.

Have you been formally diagnosed with depression?

See if you can get a hold of your Medicare card and book an appointment with any old GP near you. You need to tell your GP all of this, and show him any previous diagnoses that you have. Your GP should be able to refer you to a decent psychiatrist.

If this is actually depression (and it sounds like it is) and not just "feeling down" then it will most likely not get better on its own. You need to get professional help.

edit: please feel free to PM me if you need help
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:07:51 pm by ninwa »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

1ne

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:45 pm »
+2
Does your school have a counsellor? If they're not completely useless, that's probably your first step.

Have you been formally diagnosed with depression?

See if you can get a hold of your Medicare card and book an appointment with any old GP near you. You need to tell your GP all of this, and show him any previous diagnoses that you have. Your GP should be able to refer you to a decent psychiatrist.

If this is actually depression (and it sounds like it is) and not just "feeling down" then it will most likely not get better on its own. You need to get professional help.

edit: please feel free to PM me if you need help
No it is definitely depression. I've been feeling like this for a few years now but it's getting a bit out of hand now, this is extremely affecting my studies, my social life is a mess, sometimes feel suicidal (not all the time), So yer. Thanks for the advice, I don't know if we have a counselor at my school, but I will check that out, and hopefully get an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Thanks everyone, it is nice to know that people who I have never met before actually care..

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »
+12
Hey guys, so I've moved through mild to high depression, it all started when I was 15 and now It's been getting much worse.. it seems like nothing in this life makes me happy, has anyone ever felt this feeling before? Not matter what, it just seems that nothing really satisfies me, has anyone here felt that way before, if so how did you deal with it? It's pretty much made me dysfunctional for Year 12. Yes I know that I should see a therapist or psychiatrist but the waiting list is very long and I'm afraid it's gonna take a while before I see one. Anyone had the same sort of feelings where nothing makes you happy, you hate yourself, etc. So far the only time I remember being extremely happy for the last past 2 Years is when I became a hardcore Christian, i don't know why but there was this blissful and euphoric feeling about it, but since then I've doubted God.. and don't believe anymore..

Shouldn't probably post this stuff on an educational forum but I realize that there are many people who are smart and studying Medicine and stuff so I thought it was relevant.

First know, you're not some highly unusual outliers. A lot of people suffer from various health troubles in their life and psychological ones are no exception. They're a problem in the way a diabetic with a faulty pancreas has a problem. It's a biological issue like any other illness, not many people would tell a diabetic "well...whats will all this insulin stuff...stop babying yourself..". So, first know, whilst it i *could be* a legitimate problem, its not your fault.

I'm in no way shape or form a psychologist and i would be *extremely* extremely careful of labeling yourself as depressed. Sometimes even just that label can do more harm than good. I won't even say you're depressed, because, to be frank, we just don't know. It needs to be properly diagnosed and it really is in your best interests to stop labeling it and thinking of it that way untill you actually do get a proper diagnosis.

From what you've describe and from your words only, you dont seem to be majorly depressed, based on the limited knowledge of these things i have. Again, not a professional and i'm not saying you do or don't have anything, i'm just going along with your words. People with major depression, towards the far end, usually have an extreme amount of difficulty functioning, sometimes to the point of impaired movement. If it was that far towards the extreme end, i doubt you could even summon up the strength to write this, so, thats the good news.

For a lot of people, depression isn't actually feeling sad per se, its feeling almost nothing, feeling empty. You might not be depressed, you may just have a slightly more negative outlook than other people and this can be addressed with psychotherapy. You could just be sad rather than depressed. You could actually be depressed, either having a mild form or dysthymia or it could actually be more serious than you let on. I'm being very cautious of telling you too much here because i dont want to unduly influence you and i dont want you to read a list of symptoms and automatically self-diagnose as having something you might not have.

How have you been sleeping lately? If its not well, that might be an indication.

A lot of studies have shown religious people are actually happier and cope better with disruptive life events, perhaps your loss of religion was almost like the loss of a coping mechanism for you. Maybe you haven't yet filled the gap. Is there anyone you can talk to about how you feel, friends or family? I really would encourage you to. You dont have to totally spill the beans but it really does help. You might also like to keep a diary either on paper or just on the computer and write about how you feel, maybe explore why you feel that way.

The good news is things get better and no pain lasts for ever. Churchil said "If you're going through hell, keep going"; Really, keep in mind, there is light on the other end of the tunnel. I know things seem shit now but just battle through it. A lot of depressed people actually had less than optimal or abnormal thought patterns before becoming depressed, i wont sugar coat that. However, most people do come out the other end and those that did, they spent time thinking about their problem, thinking about why they feel that way, what makes them feel that way, their outlook on life and how they react to events. Whilst it is hell, a lot of them came out the other end a better, more well adapted person. They realised some of their faulty thinking patterns and changed them. They came out better and you can too.

If you talk to your GP, which i recommend you do, you can get 12 + a few more sessions with a psychologist under Medicare, there may be a partial fee involved or none, depending on whether they bulk bill or not. I've got no personal experience with this myself so you might want to double check and ask your GP (more info : http://au.reachout.com/find/articles/psychologist ).

Drugs can also help. I know they sound scary but if you're as bad and nonfunctional as say you are, i think its worth talking to your doctor about them. A lot of people take them for a couple months, in combination with psychotherapy and come out better. These two things work in synergy and have been proven to produce better outcomes together rather than doing one or the other alone.  If you actually do have depression, which isn't clear and yet to be established, the drugs will help smooth things out a bit. They'll allow you to function a bit better, see the light from the dark and work on your thought patterns. Again, i've had no personal experience with prescription drugs of this nature but it is worth talking to your GP about them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:53:52 pm by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

nkultra42

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »
Just regarding what others have said about speaking to a GP and medicare, I've had some personal experience with this, so I can tell you a bit about the process.
What happens is you speak with the GP, they may ask you a few questions about your general well being, then they give you a survey like thing, with statements and you circle to what extent you disagree or agree with the statement. If the doctor thinks you are depressed, they then refer you to a psychologist.  I'm not sure whether they refer to psychiatrists first but you can always ask.
In terms of the sessions with the psychologist, they might give you some activities to complete, or just generally counsel you, I think it varies.
That's how the process works, as per my experience.
You may also want to check out websites such as beyondblue or headspace, they have some good information, but you should be careful but the information which some sites give out.
Hope it all goes well

Mech

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Bacchanalian Batman
  • Respect: +69
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:03:30 pm »
+1
Diagnosed with depression and medicated myself. You need to talk to a professional; go to your GP and request that you can have a referral to a psychologist. If you do not like that psychologist, for whatever reason, go and see someone else. You need to feel comfortable with them. They may suggest medication. Do not be daunted by this and do not feel "weak" for needing to take some pills. It is fine and quite common for people to be treated for depression or to be on antidepressant medications (even some of my doctors take antidepressants).

C'est la vie. I wish you all the best.
"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce

University of Melbourne -- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy and Politics.

I am not the best role model for your academic success, but I can spin a good yarn or browbeat you with my cynicism and musings.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:13 pm »
If anyone's interested, there's a mental health and well being expo/forum at the Monash Council chambers on Friday April 20th. Should be very insightful with regards on not only how to deal with mental health issues but also mental health as an illness which affects a community, be it in schools, families or just amongst friends.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »
+2
As others have said, it's best to start off with your GP and from there, moving on to a psychologist. The reason for the GP is that you might be able to get these sessions with the psychologist under Medicare that way if they refer you, plus the GP can also figure out if there's anything else going on as well I guess. Psychiatry doesn't seem necessary at this stage, and won't justify the wait nor the cost. I don't think any amount of counselling over a forum like this is going to be beneficial in the long-run, so I'm not going to write much more. Basically, see your doctor.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

marr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:22:23 am »
This is really coincidental as I've just gone through the same thing in the last few weeks. At first I had no idea how to get help, but if you go to your local GP then they'll direct you to your best option. I can't really add much more than what's already been said other than the fact that if any part of you thinks that you should tell someone about this then you should (and never put it off). There are always people out there who can help you, you just need to find them ;).

Feel free to contact me if you ever want to talk. It can be scary to get help for something like this, but trust me it helps.

1ne

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »
+2
Hi guys jus want to say that I was referred to a psychologist and have been diagnosed with depression and high anxiety.. not a good combination to have. Thanks a lot for the advice.

yellowsone31

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Retro glamour. Old Hollywood. The fame.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »
I think many of us know the feeling of hating yourself, me included. It's almost like no one cares. But I just want you to remember that there are always people around you who care and are always willing to be there for you. I've never personally dealt with depression but I am certain asking for help even on here is one of the best things you could have done. People are always here for you, I understand it must be hard at times, but don't let it get you down.

If you ever want to talk I will always be here to listen :)

Take care xx

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 08:46:11 pm »
+3
it seems like nothing in this life makes me happy, has anyone ever felt this feeling before? Not matter what, it just seems that nothing really satisfies me, has anyone here felt that way before, if so how did you deal with it? It's pretty much made me dysfunctional for Year 12. Anyone had the same sort of feelings where nothing makes you happy, you hate yourself, etc. So far the only time I remember being extremely happy for the last past 2 Years
To a very small extent i have. Last year, a few days before chemistry midyears i had a minor  break down. I stopped giving a damn about anything, and it got rid of all my exam anxieties, and made me verey lazy (something i still carry around with me even now). Total loss of enthusiasm for those few weeks. The self-hate part never came but the whole 'nothing really satisfies me' was there, though i wasn't so completely dysfucntional.

so, what how did i deal with it?
- meditate, it helped memory retention and concentration (I very very strongly recommend it to everyone in VCE!). great way to clear the mind, and i think it really does wonders for your brain.
- exercise - ran a lot, did heaps of cardio in year 12 and ate healthy like dayum
- watched Scrubs(best show ever). Scrubs was like where i learned life's lessons (as silly as it sounds and it probably only works in movies, but the inspirational/motivational/dramatic moments always drew out some emotion from me.. sadness or happiness who cares, it's better than being completely emotionless at all)
- get some sun, get out of your room.. I also had my own 'spot' sorta thing, where i just went to chillax and feel at ease. Like terry's rooftop (from the movie 'on the waterfront')

I recommend reading this:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-today-isnt-going-to-suck/

and DEFINITELY watch this!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj2ofrX7jAk
^ skip the little girl's talking if you wish, and watch it with the narration, not that piano melody suggested in the comments.

Not matter what, it just seems that nothing really satisfies me.
i am curious. You've been diagnosed with high anxiety, and also 'nothing really satisfies you'. The way i had it was, i had no enthusiasm at all, i really didnt care (so i was anxiety free)
do you still get nervous about upcoming SACs and exams, do you worry at all? I hope i haven't misunderstood what anxiety is.

As for the happiness part, try drawing it out of yourself? do something idiotic/silly
eg look in the mirror and laugh at urself,
or yell out 'be happy' whilst you jump kinda like an irishman with the arm swing

Goodluck, wish you all the best with this! It sucks ass but nothing lasts forever (Y) especially not the bad stuff.
edit:
just for lols: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH5HD-VpfU
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:13:13 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

jorgea