Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 10:16:10 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 575513 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #915 on: May 28, 2017, 07:30:24 pm »
Hey there :) I had an essay about Australia's federal government and its responses to World Order issues (how effective) but silly me, I forgot to mention state sovereignty and how that hinders the role of Australia! Is that a deduction of marks in your opinion? I wrote about ineffectiveness in being able to enforce certain things etc. but I didn't directly talk about state sovereignty. What do you think?

Hey Diala! It could perhaps be a bit of an omission, but it doesn't immediately scream a huge loss of marks. There's no single approach to open ended questions like this - If the question doesn't mention state sovereignty then it isn't mandatory to include. It might just be tough to get the required detail without mentioning it (kind of like doing a Human Rights response without mentioning UDHR, ICCPR, or ICESCR). But you should do fine! ;D

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #916 on: May 29, 2017, 12:25:37 am »
Hi! Do you know if we are expected to know any content from the prelim syllabus for the HSC exam (other than stuff that overlaps with the HSC topics)? Thank you :D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #917 on: May 29, 2017, 12:47:45 am »
+1
Hi! Do you know if we are expected to know any content from the prelim syllabus for the HSC exam (other than stuff that overlaps with the HSC topics)? Thank you :D

Hey Chelsea! Nope - Prelim content isn't assessable unless, as you say, there is crossover ;D

chelseam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #918 on: May 29, 2017, 01:16:35 am »
+1
Hey Chelsea! Nope - Prelim content isn't assessable unless, as you say, there is crossover ;D
Sweet! Thanks Jamon :D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #919 on: May 29, 2017, 04:51:01 am »
+1
I've found that the topic that links over the most is law reform - just because you look closely into the reasons for law reform in preliminary, but it is also a theme and challenge in the HSC course, which is examinable! But you obviously extend your knowledge in the HSC course, but it's great to have your preliminary knowledge there!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

chelseam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #920 on: May 29, 2017, 11:40:01 am »
I've found that the topic that links over the most is law reform - just because you look closely into the reasons for law reform in preliminary, but it is also a theme and challenge in the HSC course, which is examinable! But you obviously extend your knowledge in the HSC course, but it's great to have your preliminary knowledge there!
Thanks Elyse! ;D

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #921 on: May 29, 2017, 05:56:23 pm »
Hi all

How can I relate state soverinty to world order issues, its really troubling me

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #922 on: May 29, 2017, 06:50:51 pm »
Hi all
How can I relate state soverinty to world order issues, its really troubling me
Basically, the biggest challenge is that we can't make states do something they don't want to do. So, we can't force anyone to sign or ratify documents, and even if they do that, we can't force them to follow it if they think it's not in the best interests of their own nation. There's conflict here when there seems to be a global consensus of what is right, or what is best, but each nation has their own concerns, agenda, and demographic, and the UN, or another state, cannot force another state to act in a way that the "offending" state seems to think is in the best interests of their own state. So as much as we'd like to gain complete cooperation on a lot of things - it isn't always possible because state sovereignty can be used at any time as a reason to not engage with a particular document, resolution, treaty, or organisation.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #923 on: May 29, 2017, 07:52:26 pm »
Hey Guys,

Has anyone taken Shelter as their topic? If so, does anyone have any notes/LCMID? My teacher is actually incompetent for legal!

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #924 on: May 29, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »
hi

i wanted to know the CSSA or Independent Trials papers essay question was for the option topic of workplace

preferably the years 2016 and 2015

thanks heaps

camillablome

• Adventurer
« Reply #925 on: May 31, 2017, 09:51:54 am »
Hi!

Just wondering how many cases you think i should use in a Young Offenders essay? I am definitely going to use the Corey Davis case but I'm finding it hard to find other cases!

Thankyou so much!
Camilla

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #926 on: May 31, 2017, 12:02:38 pm »
"Outline the role of the Family Court of Australia"

The Family Court of Australia was established by the Family Law Act 1975, under the Australian Constitution  and has original jurisdiction on all states and territories except for Western Australia . The court has a pivotal role in addressing complex and serious family matters that was previously handled by state supreme courts, which includes divorce applications, parenting disputes and separation.

Does this make sense?

The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #927 on: May 31, 2017, 06:11:05 pm »
Is anyone else doing a World Order Task into East Timor and/or North Korea ??

if so and you would like to exchange resources that would be awesome

Help much appreciated!
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #928 on: May 31, 2017, 07:19:14 pm »
Hi!

Just wondering how many cases you think i should use in a Young Offenders essay? I am definitely going to use the Corey Davis case but I'm finding it hard to find other cases!

Thankyou so much!
Camilla

Hey Camilla! FInding cases for Young Offenders is really hard - Having just that case is okay, but if you can find more that would be awesome too. Try finding some extra evidence in some Children's Court Publications ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #929 on: May 31, 2017, 07:20:38 pm »
"Outline the role of the Family Court of Australia"

The Family Court of Australia was established by the Family Law Act 1975, under the Australian Constitution  and has original jurisdiction on all states and territories except for Western Australia . The court has a pivotal role in addressing complex and serious family matters that was previously handled by state supreme courts, which includes divorce applications, parenting disputes and separation.

Does this make sense?

Great answer bellerina, definitely makes sense. Great work! ;D