Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 01:48:17 am

Author Topic: Selective entry(MHS n SCHS)2019.Any tips?  (Read 5404 times)  Share 

e3lo

• Fresh Poster
  • hi
  • Respect: 0
Re: Selective entry(MHS n SCHS)2019.Any tips?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »
First off, I would focus very hard on the subjects you aren't good at, afterall raising a 70% to an 80% is easier than 90% to 100%.

The most important thing I found in the selective school test was that unless you get all your subjects above average you probably won't make it in, however this is coming from probably the most competitive school for MHS(Box Hill High School).

Do lots of practice tests, like 1 or more of them every day. They take like 30mins and really do make a difference. Make sure to review what you got wrong after each test though.  You can find alot of these practice resources online for free, it doesn't matter if it is not the selective schools practice test, just any test at around your year level is fine. I know I did a lot of the NSW practice tests.

Anyways, good luck and make sure you don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Anime is good for your grades

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 11:29:07 am »
First off, I would focus very hard on the subjects you aren't good at, afterall raising a 70% to an 80% is easier than 90% to 100%.

The most important thing I found in the selective school test was that unless you get all your subjects above average you probably won't make it in, however this is coming from probably the most competitive school for MHS(Box Hill High School).

Do lots of practice tests, like 1 or more of them every day. They take like 30mins and really do make a difference. Make sure to review what you got wrong after each test though.  You can find alot of these practice resources online for free, it doesn't matter if it is not the selective schools practice test, just any test at around your year level is fine. I know I did a lot of the NSW practice tests.

Anyways, good luck and make sure you don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Thanks,congrats for making it in MHS
Do you think it’s better to write 2 paras and a rebuttal or 3 paras and no rebuttal?My grammar is also really bad.

MemeMaster

• Trailblazer
  • memes
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 12:56:26 pm »
Hello people I have a question. A friend just told me that they made it harder for us to guess on the questions by changing it from 4 options to 5 options, is that true? Cos I thought that there were always 5 options on it.
Thx   8)
bork

aspiringantelope

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 01:27:57 pm »
Hello people I have a question. A friend just told me that they made it harder for us to guess on the questions by changing it from 4 options to 5 options, is that true? Cos I thought that there were always 5 options on it.
Thx   8)
Is that true though?
I'm pretty sure it's always been 4 options. (A, B, C and D)

MemeMaster

• Trailblazer
  • memes
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 01:55:41 pm »
Is that true though?
I'm pretty sure it's always been 4 options. (A, B, C and D)
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s 5 options now, even in the practice tests and stuff

edit: I just found a post from 2014 which said there are five options
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:10:01 pm by MemeMaster »
bork

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s 5 options now, even in the practice tests and stuff

edit: I just found a post from 2014 which said there are five options

It has never been 4 options,it was always 5 options.

aspiringantelope

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
Oh,my school is pretty trash as well,people don’t care about anything.Just gave the practice maths test on the website and scored 44 out of 60,idk if that’s good considering it’s my second strongest subject(first being numerical reasoning)
Was just reading this and I just want to say 44 out of 60 would most likely me around a High Average. Have you tried out the numerical reasoning? If you do the numerical reasoning in exam time (30minutes) and score at least 58, you are set for Numerical Reasoning. No more revision for that needed.

Considering Math is your second strongest subject, IMO 44 out of 60 is average.. Just below a 75%.
Have you tried the Verbal Reasoning practice test also?
If you need any PERSONAL help, PM me if you do not want to post it.
Here to help!

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 05:16:48 pm »
Was just reading this and I just want to say 44 out of 60 would most likely me around a High Average. Have you tried out the numerical reasoning? If you do the numerical reasoning in exam time (30minutes) and score at least 58, you are set for Numerical Reasoning. No more revision for that needed.

Considering Math is your second strongest subject, IMO 44 out of 60 is average.. Just below a 75%.
Have you tried the Verbal Reasoning practice test also?
If you need any PERSONAL help, PM me if you do not want to post it.
Here to help!
Oof,average for 44/60?Shocking
For Numerical I got like 44/50
Verbal I got 40
Reading comprehension I got 32 :-[

For maths,i got the area n volume questions wrong since I haven’t memorised all of em yet and some ending questions(last 5-10) since I didn’t have time.

Thanks for helping  :)
Which school do u go?
The Numerical is out of 50 btw(I think,if not,let me know)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:21:49 pm by ProbotMelbourne »

aspiringantelope

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 08:33:08 pm »
Oof,average for 44/60?Shocking
For Numerical I got like 44/50
Verbal I got 40
Reading comprehension I got 32 :-[

For maths,i got the area n volume questions wrong since I haven’t memorised all of em yet and some ending questions(last 5-10) since I didn’t have time.

Thanks for helping  :)
Which school do u go?
The Numerical is out of 50 btw(I think,if not,let me know)
Yes a 75% would be considered average.
Oh and yes, Numerical was out of 50 sorry. 44 is okay but you would still need to secure more points in order to obtain a Superior.
I currently attend a private school in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
From your reading comprehension, it is evident that a lot more work is needed. Reading more books would help; stopping at the end of each chapter and recount the events that occurred in them.
For Maths, some topics would include Quadratics, (Null Factor Law would be useful), Index Laws, Trigonometry (only SOH CAH TOA, exact values aren't needed for this level) and Algebra at a higher level.
Remembering 2D / 3D shape formulas would also be extremely beneficial. Also angles like; Corresponding Angles etc. of which can be all found online.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:11 pm »
Yes a 75% would be considered average.
Oh and yes, Numerical was out of 50 sorry. 44 is okay but you would still need to secure more points in order to obtain a Superior.
I currently attend a private school in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
From your reading comprehension, it is evident that a lot more work is needed. Reading more books would help; stopping at the end of each chapter and recount the events that occurred in them.
For Maths, some topics would include Quadratics, (Null Factor Law would be useful), Index Laws, Trigonometry (only SOH CAH TOA, exact values aren't needed for this level) and Algebra at a higher level.
Remembering 2D / 3D shape formulas would also be extremely beneficial. Also angles like; Corresponding Angles etc. of which can be all found online.

Thanks for the tips!You’ve helped a lot:)
Recently learned null factor law,it’s really beneficial ;)
Need to improve on quadratics tho and area/volume for shapes.
I do this thing called read theory for reading comp and that’s pretty good