Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 11:37:58 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3638412 times)  Share 

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #3405 on: October 14, 2014, 08:54:31 pm »
For Question 125 (Attached image)

for part b.) I wrote divergent evolution but the correct answer was natural selection.

Can someone please explain to me how this was not in fact divergent evolution but instead natural selection?

Thanks!

The keyword here is 'process'.  Natural selection is the process by which divergent evolution occurs. Evolution, whether it concerns convergence or divergence, is more of an outcome of natural selection. Hope that helps :)
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3406 on: October 14, 2014, 09:10:01 pm »
The keyword here is 'process'.  Natural selection is the process by which divergent evolution occurs. Evolution, whether it concerns convergence or divergence, is more of an outcome of natural selection. Hope that helps :)

Thankyou! :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3407 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »
What actually is the 'mitochondrial eve hypothesis' is it just the theory that all individuals evolved from few individuals in Africa and the females of these individuals provided the mtDNA for all modern humans?

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3408 on: October 14, 2014, 09:20:12 pm »
this maybe a stupid question but when it is asked how a virus particle infects a plant cell, could you say that a vector (mosquito) injects the virus into a plant?

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3409 on: October 14, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »

What actually is the 'mitochondrial eve hypothesis' is it just the theory that all individuals evolved from few individuals in Africa and the females of these individuals provided the mtDNA for all modern humans?
Pretty much

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3410 on: October 14, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »

It's the theory that the human lineage can be traced back to one ancestral woman, or 'Eve', for mtDNA.

Is it worth doing VCAA exams that are older than 2006? because some of the questions I'm coming across in the 2003 exam seem fairly irrelevant. I can infer the answers, but I mean do we need to know specifics about blood-glucose regulation? I keep mentioning negative feedback in my answers, but the assessment reports do not and are instead just asking specifics...did systems used to be on the study design?

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #3411 on: October 14, 2014, 09:32:38 pm »
this maybe a stupid question but when it is asked how a virus particle infects a plant cell, could you say that a vector (mosquito) injects the virus into a plant?
Yes but also mention that the virus will infect the plant cell by injecting viral DNA into the nucleus of the particular and producing infected cells/proteins thus infecting more and more cells.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3412 on: October 14, 2014, 09:39:39 pm »

Is it worth doing VCAA exams that are older than 2006? because some of the questions I'm coming across in the 2003 exam seem fairly irrelevant. I can infer the answers, but I mean do we need to know specifics about blood-glucose regulation? I keep mentioning negative feedback in my answers, but the assessment reports do not and are instead just asking specifics...did systems used to be on the study design?

yeh, they used to be on the study design. highly recommend to do older vcaa exams, but just skip all the irrelevant questions (such as neg.feedback etc.), because the rest of the paper is applicable (immunity, transport etc.)

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3413 on: October 14, 2014, 11:00:08 pm »
yeh, they used to be on the study design. highly recommend to do older vcaa exams, but just skip all the irrelevant questions (such as neg.feedback etc.), because the rest of the paper is applicable (immunity, transport etc.)

Wait...do we not need to know negative and positive feedback mechanisms AT ALL?  :o

ALSO, in the attached question, I don't understand why the answer could not also be C (the answer is A). 26% of the state got it correct, and yet VCAA didn't feel the need to explain the answer -.-

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3414 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:48 pm »

Wait...do we not need to know negative and positive feedback mechanisms AT ALL?  :o

ALSO, in the attached question, I don't understand why the answer could not also be C (the answer is A). 26% of the state got it correct, and yet VCAA didn't feel the need to explain the answer -.-

Because some thyroxine will still be produced. The absence of iodine doesn't stop the negative feedback mechanisms from operating, rather, it just makes them operate less per se.

As it happens, this is no longer in the study design. Negative and positive feedback are no longer on the course.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3415 on: October 14, 2014, 11:13:05 pm »
Because some thyroxine will still be produced. The absence of iodine doesn't stop the negative feedback mechanisms from operating, rather, it just makes them operate less per se.

As it happens, this is no longer in the study design. Negative and positive feedback are no longer on the course.

Ah yes, makes sense! Thank you :)

When was it removed? Also, do I have to know where insulin and glucagon are produced (pancreas)...well I guess this relates back to negative feedback mechanisms. It's just that I went to lectures (TSFX) and this stuff was all covered :-\

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #3416 on: October 14, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »

What exam is this on?
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3417 on: October 14, 2014, 11:22:40 pm »
What exam is this on?

2003 VCAA exam 1 :)

soNasty

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3418 on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:50 pm »
+2
no negative feedback? *faints*

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3419 on: October 14, 2014, 11:32:04 pm »
+2
yep no neg feedback, no  pos feedback, no homestasis, no blood/glucose, no more weird flowcharts to analyse