Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:24:24 pm

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 155701 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #510 on: September 26, 2016, 08:00:51 pm »
+1
Should i spend these 2 weeks memorising all my notes & then doing past papers just before the exams? Or should i start doing past papers and learning the content as i go?
Honestly, if you spend time just memorising those notes back to back now you're probably a bit behind. I'd favour the latter here.

Past papers will force your hand more than just reading notes.

lululu

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mosman High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #511 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:21 pm »
hi y'all,
how much are people studying right now?
i was absolutely fanging the revision for the week or 2 before graduation and now i'm having a really hard time sticking to my timetable and have been taking way too many naps. does anyone know any good resources/have any good tips on breaking up study or making study timetables? and also, does anyone have revision/study advice for content-heavy subjects like history, econ, languages? is it better to go straight to the practice papers or spend a week or 2 memorising vocab/content/sources that you know you have forgotten first?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #512 on: September 26, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »
hi y'all,
i was absolutely fanging the revision for the week or 2 before graduation and now i'm having a really hard time sticking to my timetable and have been taking way too many naps. does anyone know any good resources/have any good tips on breaking up study or making study timetables? and also, does anyone have revision/study advice for content-heavy subjects like history, econ, languages? is it better to go straight to the practice papers or spend a week or 2 memorising vocab/content/sources that you know you have forgotten first?
Tbh during the lead-up to the final exams I didn't follow a timetable either. I followed it quite well during the trial stuvac period but it got to me as well.

Have you tried changing the study environment? I got more productive because I ended up going to the library to study with some (studious) friends. Also my timetable for the trials wasn't really fixed to be the same on a weekly basis; it was split so that pretty much every day would be different. That helped me set goals back then.

Instead of napping when you're tired, go out for a walk. Naps aren't always the best idea as you can feel tired even after one.

I leave a disclaimer on the subject based questions though cause I can't speak from experience.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #513 on: September 26, 2016, 09:47:43 pm »
hi y'all,
Do prac exams. Find what you got wrong. Read the correct answer from the assessment report. Rinse and repeat. Probably the best way to maximise revision in a short period of time. Many questions repeat themselves in exams, and doing a few random questions here and there can be extremely similar (essentially exposure , if I'm being too verbose) etc.
Sleep for 7-8 hrs. I ACTUALLY recommend doing a prac exam in 90% of the time given (if U can ) napping for like 10mins, then correcting it, and following up with a short walk outside before you do your next exam.

Later in the night - review and revise your mistakes, while spending most of ur time in the day soing exams. Gl
Uni and life

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #514 on: September 26, 2016, 09:54:18 pm »
+1
Do prac exams. Find what you got wrong. Read the correct answer from the assessment report. Rinse and repeat. Probably the best way to maximise revision in a short period of time. Many questions repeat themselves in exams, and doing a few random questions here and there can be extremely similar (essentially exposure , if I'm being too verbose) etc.
Sleep for 7-8 hrs. I ACTUALLY recommend doing a prac exam in 90% of the time given (if U can ) napping for like 10mins, then correcting it, and following up with a short walk outside before you do your next exam.

Later in the night - review and revise your mistakes, while spending most of ur time in the day soing exams. Gl
"Correct answer" is very ambiguous for essays and the subjects mentioned above are all 40%+ essay subjects. Keep that in mind when arbitrarily saying "do prac exams"

Not to mention a lot of BOSTES answers' are not the best. Only the mapping grid is guaranteed accurate.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #515 on: September 27, 2016, 12:03:52 am »
"Correct answer" is very ambiguous for essays and the subjects mentioned above are all 40%+ essay subjects. Keep that in mind when arbitrarily saying "do prac exams"

Not to mention a lot of BOSTES answers' are not the best. Only the mapping grid is guaranteed accurate.
I see. My bad for not understanding the hsc systems- and how it differs from vce :)
Uni and life

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #516 on: September 27, 2016, 08:32:27 am »
I see. My bad for not understanding the hsc systems- and how it differs from vce :)
Mhm all good. 'Tis why I left a disclaimer on the subjects themselves - I don't know how to best prepare for essay subjects that I didn't do.

lululu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #517 on: September 27, 2016, 01:15:15 pm »
I ACTUALLY recommend doing a prac exam in 90% of the time given (if U can ) napping for like 10mins, then correcting it, and following up with a short walk outside before you do your next exam.

thanks that's a really good tip! i guess i'll start doing prac exams and see how i go. what do you think of open book v closed book?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #518 on: September 27, 2016, 01:17:54 pm »
thanks that's a really good tip! i guess i'll start doing prac exams and see how i go. what do you think of open book v closed book?
Although I commented on what he said, past papers are a given.

Regardless of what subjects you take, you cannot ever avoid past papers. This is emphasised in every single source you will find. I feel kinda bad in that I assumed you were already doing past papers however it is a given - everyone does past papers. Because there's no other way to be prepared for what's gonna be on the exam; only past papers follow the exam structure (both layout AND questions)

It is your call on open vs closed. But by the end of it you should be doing them closed regardless.

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #519 on: September 27, 2016, 01:24:03 pm »

I'd say try and do closed book as much as you can, maybe try writing down what you remember first, as if it was an actual exam situation. But there's not much point dedicating time to doing a whole paper if you don't know how to answer half the questions, especially when your book is right on the shelf waiting to be opened, it is practise after all! I usually check my notes after having a go at a question, so then I can see how I could improve etc.  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

lululu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #520 on: September 27, 2016, 01:28:05 pm »
Although I commented on what he said, past papers are a given.

Regardless of what subjects you take, you cannot ever avoid past papers. This is emphasised in every single source you will find. I feel kinda bad in that I assumed you were already doing past papers however it is a given -
that's okay haha. i've been desperately reteaching myself the entire Ancient History syllabus because i had a pretty lame teacher this year and did very little work... that's my excuse for not being up to the past papers stage. thanks a lot, you've been super helpful!
I'd say try and do closed book as much as you can, maybe try writing down what you remember first, as if it was an actual exam situation. But there's not much point dedicating time to doing a whole paper if you don't know how to answer half the questions, especially when your book is right on the shelf waiting to be opened, it is practise after all! I usually check my notes after having a go at a question, so then I can see how I could improve etc.  :)
that's great thanks! sounds a lot easier and i like the idea of reviewing notes after attempting the question to see what you might have missed... far less stressful haha. thanks a lot everyone!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #521 on: September 29, 2016, 10:40:23 am »
+1
Is everyone back into study now or are we taking a break at this point? Are you slowly easing back into study or just waiting out until you can hit the ground running?

At this stage, maintaining motivation is REALLY HARD. I was superhuman motivated all year, and I got to this stage in the piece and some days it was like I could not physically continue. I was sick, tired (I slept soo much!!!) and really pooped. I'm kind of just putting it out there to say it's normal, but the end is near, do what you can :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #522 on: September 29, 2016, 02:36:19 pm »
+1
Is everyone back into study now or are we taking a break at this point? Are you slowly easing back into study or just waiting out until you can hit the ground running?

At this stage, maintaining motivation is REALLY HARD. I was superhuman motivated all year, and I got to this stage in the piece and some days it was like I could not physically continue. I was sick, tired (I slept soo much!!!) and really pooped. I'm kind of just putting it out there to say it's normal, but the end is near, do what you can :)

I am trying so hard but the motivation battle is REEEALLL. And also I am majorly struggling with coming up with a second creative for extension, and when I struggle to do something I tend to just procrastinate until I do it.... so yeah. Not major study going on atm.
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #523 on: September 29, 2016, 03:04:42 pm »
I am trying so hard but the motivation battle is REEEALLL. And also I am majorly struggling with coming up with a second creative for extension, and when I struggle to do something I tend to just procrastinate until I do it.... so yeah. Not major study going on atm.

Why is it that you're after a second creative for Extension? Just to give you more flexibility in the exam, or are you discarding your first one and starting again?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ml125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #524 on: September 29, 2016, 03:42:28 pm »

Been busting out past papers nonstop haha... during ungodly hours of the morning. Not particularly surprising if you look at my posts so far - 1-4AM ~ Motivation hits when the sun goes down ;D

I asked you about my creative piece for EE1 at the end of the english lecture, and I've tried adapting it to last year's question! Will post it up when I reach the quota haha :D
HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
GOAL 2017: Combined Advanced Science/Engineering @ UNSW