Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:42:58 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3625257 times)  Share 

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #3270 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:51 am »
You don't need to understand the technique, just the basic principles of DNA to be able to answer this question. IT was actually relatively well answer.
Yes I got the answer, but I was just wondering if it was a technique that I've missed and was thinking that it could potentially be a short answer question haha. Thanks.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3271 on: October 09, 2014, 10:15:06 am »
Yes I got the answer, but I was just wondering if it was a technique that I've missed and was thinking that it could potentially be a short answer question haha. Thanks.

Nope, definitely don't need to know it. I've still yet to properly encounter that technique for sequencing (though we've brushed over it I think)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3272 on: October 09, 2014, 04:53:10 pm »
Nope, definitely don't need to know it. I've still yet to properly encounter that technique for sequencing (though we've brushed over it I think)
Thanks for clarifying!! :)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3273 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:51 pm »
I've noticed that the VCAA assessors report provides very short and simplistic answers (yet concise in metalanguage). Is this the way they want us answering? Or is it just VCAA being lazy and time efficient (for their benefit) by answering the questions with least amount of detail? 

flares

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #3274 on: October 09, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »
Hi,
Could someone explain me the differences between signalling molecules and signal transduction?
These two ideas are really confusing me..

2015: MM, SM, Chem, FT, EL

millie96

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3275 on: October 09, 2014, 08:52:26 pm »
Has anybody done the STAV 2014 paper?
Did you find it a lot more difficult than others? and a bit out of the scope of the course?

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3276 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
"A tissue that has been responsive to hormone X may, over time, lose its response to hormone X, even though the concentration of hormone X remains unchanged.
Based on your understanding of how a hormone controls the functioning of cells, suggest reasons for this decrease in responsiveness."

WTH. Never even heard of a concept as such... Could someone please help me. It's a VCAA question which makes it scary haha
Has anybody done the STAV 2014 paper?
Did you find it a lot more difficult than others? and a bit out of the scope of the course?

Yes definitely more challenging than VCAA.

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3277 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »
Gel electrophoresis can be used to identify the relative mass of a protein. Why not length? Thanks.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3278 on: October 09, 2014, 09:08:47 pm »
+2
Gel electrophoresis can be used to identify the relative mass of a protein. Why not length? Thanks.
Proteins don't have base pairs to be measured in length?

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3279 on: October 09, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
"A tissue that has been responsive to hormone X may, over time, lose its response to hormone X, even though the concentration of hormone X remains unchanged.
Based on your understanding of how a hormone controls the functioning of cells, suggest reasons for this decrease in responsiveness."

WTH. Never even heard of a concept as such... Could someone please help me. It's a VCAA question which makes it scary haha Yes definitely more challenging than VCAA.
Hmm, I'd say that the cells no longer require the hormone for growth or development and hence release proteins that alter the shape of the receptor (specific for that hormone) or the specific receptors are removed from the cell. Hence, hormone X can no longer trigger a response in the cell.
Or, the cell could possibly be old and hence the receptor molecule molecule might be damaged due to age, therefore hormone X can no longer bind effectively with the receptor and trigger the response.
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3280 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »
Hmm, I'd say that the cells no longer require the hormone for growth or development and hence release proteins that alter the shape of the receptor (specific for that hormone) or the specific receptors are removed from the cell. Hence, hormone X can no longer trigger a response in the cell.
Or, the cell could possibly be old and hence the receptor molecule molecule might be damaged due to age, therefore hormone X can no longer bind effectively with the receptor and trigger the response.
They both sound reasonably correct :P Which one do I use? :/
The thing that sucks is its the sample VCAA one where they don't provide answers except multiple choice questions ffs -.-

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3281 on: October 09, 2014, 09:20:47 pm »
They both sound reasonably correct :P Which one do I use? :/
The thing that sucks is its the sample VCAA one where they don't provide answers except multiple choice questions ffs -.-
Your choice! :) I think what ever is reasonable and logical VCAA would accept (because the hormone concentration remains the same, there must be something wrong with the receptors.)
I believe that the sample examination is composed of questions from actual past VCAA papers, so I reckon that you'll come across that hormone question somewhere and see what the examiners wrote.
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3282 on: October 09, 2014, 09:41:19 pm »
Your choice! :) I think what ever is reasonable and logical VCAA would accept (because the hormone concentration remains the same, there must be something wrong with the receptors.)
I believe that the sample examination is composed of questions from actual past VCAA papers, so I reckon that you'll come across that hormone question somewhere and see what the examiners wrote.
I see... Thanks heaps!! And yes they are composed of different years. I just cbf going through all the exams to find it for the moment :P Plus 'f' key isn't working -.-

InsaneMDot

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3283 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »
+1
I see... Thanks heaps!! And yes they are composed of different years. I just cbf going through all the exams to find it for the moment :P Plus 'f' key isn't working -.-

It's from the 2005 Exam 1. The answer states:

Either of:
• as a cell ages, receptor sites may degenerate and be less effective in identifying a particular hormone
• receptor sites on target tissues may degenerate with age and may be less effective in binding the particular
hormone

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3284 on: October 09, 2014, 10:16:47 pm »
It's from the 2005 Exam 1. The answer states:

Either of:
• as a cell ages, receptor sites may degenerate and be less effective in identifying a particular hormone
• receptor sites on target tissues may degenerate with age and may be less effective in binding the particular
hormone
Thanks so much!!