Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:32:00 am

Author Topic: Arts Question  (Read 3798 times)  Share 

sdhains

Arts Question
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:09:58 pm »
I'm alright with words but I hate writing english/literature essays and I'm not super keen on wrote-learning. Is there a place in Arts for me?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:08:29 pm by sam5 »

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Arts Question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:58:16 pm »
+1
There is no rote learning at all in Arts in my experience. If you have exams at all, they'll usually be essay-based. But if you don't like writing, it's really not for you. By the end of my second year, I will have handed in 31 essays. (Gosh, what a depressing thought)

sdhains

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:15:52 pm »
There is no rote learning at all in Arts in my experience. If you have exams at all, they'll usually be essay-based. But if you don't like writing, it's really not for you. By the end of my second year, I will have handed in 31 essays. (Gosh, what a depressing thought)

I want to do commerce, but if disaster strikes and I don't get in I think i will have to do arts or engineering and transfer. I don't mind writing - just not english or literature style essays. Are they unavoidable in arts?

darlok

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:10:27 pm »
I would recommend transfering in from science, assuming you want to go to melbourne. Then you can take 3 commerce subjects in your first semester and transfer after that. You will need a 75% average.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:35:12 pm »
Lit essays specifically are very avoidable, essays generally though aren't.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 11:21:12 pm »
I don't mind writing - just not english or literature style essays. Are they unavoidable in arts?
From my experience, pretty much unavoidable unless you do languages (where the "essays" are max. 300 words long).
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

xXNovaxX

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »
I'm pretty good with words but I hate writing english/literature essays and I'm not super keen on wrote-learning. Is there a place in Arts for me?

Excuse the lack of modesty and I apologise if this is a stupid question.
Can I ask why maybe you don't like writing? I am not criticizing you, but just curious? What kinf of writing do you like? Maybe once you write a few, you will become better at it (if ur not so good now), and then start liking it. But i understand, essay writing can be a bore, if you have to hand in 31 like Eriny said.

sdhains

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 11:46:12 pm »
I'm pretty good with words but I hate writing english/literature essays and I'm not super keen on wrote-learning. Is there a place in Arts for me?

Excuse the lack of modesty and I apologise if this is a stupid question.
Can I ask why maybe you don't like writing? I am not criticizing you, but just curious? What kinf of writing do you like? Maybe once you write a few, you will become better at it (if ur not so good now), and then start liking it. But i understand, essay writing can be a bore, if you have to hand in 31 like Eriny said.
I don't know I find english very stressful and i've always been a slow essay writer when it comes to english essays. I liked the extended responses of legal studies last year and I don't mind politics essays either.

It's not that I'm not good at it, I don't mind writing. I just guess year 12 has just put me off english essays for life ahah.

sdhains

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:37:57 pm »
I would recommend transfering in from science, assuming you want to go to melbourne. Then you can take 3 commerce subjects in your first semester and transfer after that. You will need a 75% average.
You need a science in year 12 don't you? I don't do a science.

wombifat

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 04:40:59 pm »
If you like politics and don't mind the extended response questions you should be alright.

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:01:59 am »
Maybe neither course is right for you. You use words like 'okay' and alright' in reference to essay writing, but maybe essay writing just isn't for you at all. You can avoid writing English-style essays in Arts (just don't pick an English unit), but basically every other subject will have an essay as a part of its assessment. Are there any other areas that you are more passionate about? There are endless options when it comes to higher study, i think.
2007 | Visual Communication and Design [37] VCE VET Hospitality [39]
2008 | Media Studies [42] English [40] History Revolutions [40] Further Mathematics [39] Psychology [37]
ENTER | 91.15

2009 | Arts/Education [Secondary] - Monash Clayton.