Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 03:44:48 am

Author Topic: Extremely bad handwriting  (Read 5287 times)  Share 

ayylmaolad

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Extremely bad handwriting
« on: September 17, 2017, 10:57:25 pm »
+3
Hey guys, so i got hammered pretty hard in trials because my handwriting is exceptionally terrible and was illegible for some subjects.
I got marked down insanely in English because the teacher could not read my Module C response  :(

With 4 weeks to go i'm starting to get extremely anxious and i need some tips on how i could improve my handwriting

Thanks in advance

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Extremely bad handwriting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:00:08 pm »
+8
hi! handwriting is a huge deal in the hsc, but you've got time to fix it :-) here's a link to help you out!

good luck :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:04:16 pm »
+6
What do you mean by illegible? :)

Do you find that you write very fast? You might just have to slow yourself down a bit in order to control your writing a bit better.

Maybe also trying to make your letters longer could help?
I might also suggest even changing around the pens that you use!

Apart from that, it's really just a matter of practicing :) And when you write something, maybe pause for a second and ask yourself "is this legible?" before you keep on going. If you have a quick google, there's probably a fair few websites out there that could help you. Plus, some of those study insta accounts or study blogs probably have something helpful to do with improving handwriting!

All the best :)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:14:01 pm »
+6
Hey guys, so i got hammered pretty hard in trials because my handwriting is exceptionally terrible and was illegible for some subjects.
I got marked down insanely in English because the teacher could not read my Module C response  :(

With 4 weeks to go i'm starting to get extremely anxious and i need some tips on how i could improve my handwriting

Thanks in advance
I struggle with this too

>Write bigger
>Make any holes (like in A, P, O, e, etc) bigger
-Make the horizontal line on your 't' clear so it doesn't look like an 'r'
-Get a darker pen or press down harder
-Write slower
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:08 pm »
+5

Thanks in advance
Hey! So I was in exactly the same boat as you :) Perhaps even worse - my Modern/Extension teacher literally scheduled a meeting with me at lunchtime to tell me how bad my handwriting was in the exam, and the only feedback on my drama essay was a page and a half of my teacher explaining to me how bad it was (didn't help that his handwriting is so good it could be a font). Long story short - every single exam I got back said they struggled to understand my handwriting, so I knew, like you do, that it was something that I really needed to fix - and I did! (kinda).

Like, my handwriting wasn't "good" in the exam - but it was legible, and that is all that matters. What I did was threefold;

1. I bought one of those handwriting books you use in primary school. This might seem so stupid, but it actually kinda helped, because it helped me to retrain the muscles in my hand to fully form letters (the thing that I had a problem with, a lot of my letters couldn't be distinguished from other letters - like e's looked like i's/l's/t's etc.). I think part of it as well was it meant that I was devoting time to my handwriting, which helped it to improve.

2. Bought a weighted pen. For the most part, my handwriting only became illegible in the latter half of an exam, when my hand was super tired, so I needed to put on some muscle, and this is how I did just that :) Another thing that I did to stop my hand from hurting in certain areas was to use bandaids as padding (particularly around the tip of my middle finger!)

3. Paid more attention in exams. Not only while I was writing, but of past sentences - I was constantly asking myself - can I read that? If not, I crossed it out and rewrote it on top, being more careful. Yes, it took a bit of time, but better I lose say 2-3 minutes overall, than the marker can't read my essay!

Hope this helps! Remember that you're not the only one ahahaha

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:44:58 am »
+1

Thanks in advance
the people above have already given heaps of advice, but another tip to improve your writing speed/wrist strength is to tape batteries to the end of your pen/pencil 

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:42:04 am »
the people above have already given heaps of advice, but another tip to improve your writing speed/wrist strength is to tape batteries to the end of your pen/pencil
Make sure you take them off before the exam though :D i once knew someone that wrote with batteries on the end of their pen for weeks and could write really fast. They forgot to take them off in the exam.... :-\ ::)

Henry Kocatekin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »
I know a chiropractor who said that batteries to the end of pens was really bad for you, (could cause tendonitis...)

But if it makes you write faster, maybe it's worth it ahah