Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 03:15:36 am

Author Topic: Dancing my way to Nationals  (Read 1758 times)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Dancing my way to Nationals
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:01 pm »
+16
Don't know if anyone knows this but I've been dancing since year 10, and in such a small amount of time I've seen much improvement but also many obstacles, the current challenge - getting to Showcase National Dance Championships.

In January this year I went on a holiday to the Gold Coast. But this wasn't any ordinary holiday, it was to watch my sister dance at Showcase. The dances were so good! They inspired me to improve in my dancing so that maybe I'll be there on that stage in 2019. This task is made even more enormous for me as not only do I have to reach that standard, but also I stopped dancing during the HSC and lost a lot of my strength and flexibility. It hurt my calves to touch my toes and my kicks were at 90 degrees again! Argh!

Now I have to not only get all of that back but also improve even beyond my previous abilities before the year is out, so that the studio decides to send me to the Gold Coast.

Here, I plan on documenting all my dance related goals, achievements and all that jazz to hopefully keep me focused on this goal and not be tempted to slack off whilst the rest of my class moans and groans through every excersise.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Dancing my way to Nationals
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:40 pm »
+7
Wow, add to your already huge list of talents!! ;D

I believe in you PH, so excited for you :)

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:38 pm »
+2
Awesome! What style of dance do you do?

Keen to watch this progress!
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:28:13 pm »
+3
Awesome! What style of dance do you do?
I used to do Ballet, Jazz and Contemporary (and a bit of much hated hip-hop as part of "performance class") but now I'm just doing contemporary whilst I settle into uni and stuff cause it's my favourite style  ;D

Keen to watch this progress!
Wow, add to your already huge list of talents!! ;D

I believe in you PH, so excited for you :)
Aww yay thanks so much for the support!! <3 <3
So much more encouraging than my sister's words of "let's face it, you havn't danced for a year so..."
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:03 am »
+3
Very cool! Seriously, right behind you with this - reach for the stars. ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
+5
Ok so it's been a while, so long in fact that AN wants me to start a new thread - lol, no thanks
Mostly I've just been going to dance class every Wednesday and doing what I percieve to be my best at that current moment. Some lessons I wear my ankle weights for some excersises and forget to take them off even when the others have, and man, doing leaps with them on really slows you down!
I'm thinking 1 hour a week isn't enough though considering the goal ahead so I really need to do some extra stuff. I'll definatley go to MADSOC ballet classes after mid term break, but even this might not be enough, so I need to find the motivation to do some stretching and strength excersises in a pocket of time somewhere.

Today we did something different at the end of class - improv. We had to dance freestyle in small groups in front of everybody. Whilst what I did was complimented by the teacher and some of the class as my "technique has come so far since (I) started" I feel like it wasn't as good as it could have been since I was a little nervous/embarrassed, since whilst I often improvise, I only when I'm alone. This is another thing I should work on to be a better dancer - improvising in front of people and being confident in it.

Ok so - goals for next week:
Stretch 1 additional time
Do a strengthening work out 1 additional time
Practice improv 1 additional time

Let's see if I can acheive the above before next Wednesday...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:41:27 pm by Potatohater »

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:51:40 pm »
+5
Whohoo!! Go PH you got thissss  ;D
I've always admired people who do dancing, even though i cannot do it myself  :'(
Keen to watch your journey as you progress!!
Go for it!  ;D ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU