Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:22:35 am

Author Topic: How do aggregate points effect selection rank?  (Read 3297 times)  Share 

Wiviliva

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How do aggregate points effect selection rank?
« on: October 29, 2021, 08:59:58 pm »
+1
I’ve been looking at the website for Victoria University and I’m trying to understand how the adjustment factors for subjects work.

For example it says this:

A study score of 25 in Biology, Chemistry, English other than EAL, Health And Human Development, any Mathematics, Physics or Psychology equals 5 aggregate points per study. A study score of 30 in English (EAL) equals 5 aggregate points. Overall maximum of 20 points.

Does this mean if I was to for example get an atar of 71, but I got above 25 in biology, health and human development, further maths and psychology, which equals the 20 aggregate points my selection rank would be 91?

What does one aggregate point actually change, I’ve tried google but it hasn’t got very much information

Thank you :))

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: How do aggregate points effect selection rank?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 04:13:35 pm »
+2
Simply put, no, your selection rank =/= 91.

Your selection rank will be the sum of the following:
- your ATAR (I will call this your raw ATAR in this post)
- your SEAS (special consideration), if you have successfully applied and received any - you generally won’t know how much of your SEAS was successful
- your subject adjustments (also known as middle band subjects or a few other names in some places; looks like your case uses adjustment factors) - these are what you’re referring to.

Subject adjustments, as you’ve said, add to your aggregate. When you get to ATAR release day, you’ll be given a whole heap of numbers:
- your raw ATAR
- your study scores (both raw and scaled)
- an aggregate.

The aggregate is the sum of your Top 4 subject scaled SSs + 10% of your next two scaled SSs (where applicable). This is the number that they then use to rank you and then give you an ATAR; there are tables that show that year’s conversions from aggregate to ATAR each year. Your aggregate is usually around 60-240. 

When it comes to your subject adjustments, you’ll get points added to your aggregate, which in turn will give you an “adjusted ATAR” or selection rank.

Let me show you how it works with some numbers:
Let’s pretend you did your Year 12 in 2020 (because these are the latest stats on hand, which you can see here), you didn’t have any SEAS and you got the lowest aggregate you can get for a 71.00 raw ATAR (since you gave that as an example). This is an aggregate of 123.95.

Now let’s say that you got a 25 in the 4 subjects you listed before, which as you said, gives 20 extra aggregate points.

123.95 + 20 = 143.95

Now we need to go back to that table and see what 143.95 changes your selection rank to: a top end 83.70. Since you have no SEAS on top of that, your  selection rank is now 83.70 and that is what you’d be compared to others with when the unis start to look at who they’re going to give an offer to.

Note that the aggregate —> ATAR chart changes each year and your SEAS application (where applicable) may change your selection rank too, but it’s a good idea to do your best in your exams now and avoid relying heavily on subject adjustments and SEAS to pull you through to your desired course.

Hope that makes sense! If not, let me know and I’ll try to explain it again. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread