Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 07:10:21 pm

Author Topic: Best Arts Course  (Read 6143 times)  Share 

foley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Best Arts Course
« on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:46 pm »
Hi guys.

So having received my ATAR and knowing I can get into any straight arts courses I want, and possibly Arts/Law, I am having trouble deciding whether to go to UoM, or Monash at either Caulfield or Clayton. My major interest areas are psychology and journalism; any help as to which uni or course you recommend would be great.

Thanks

foley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
Re: Best Arts Course
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:28:42 pm »
anyone???

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »
If you want to keep your options open career-wise, Arts/Law is the best idea.

If you want to be a journalist, it's probably best to do a specific journalism course. RMIT and Monash both offer the Bechelor of Communications. From what I gather, RMIT has an especially good reputation for this (although perhaps someone else can share their expertise on this).

If you are looking at straight arts, the universities that offer the subjects you most want to do will obviously be best. If you want to do something that is quite general and is offered everywhere (e.g. languages, literature, philosophy, etc.), choose the university that has the most interesting looking courses in that area and a good variety of courses in that area (hint: it's no good if you want to major in literature if the university only offers courses in literature from a certain era, for instance). If you don't know what you would like to major in, choose a university that has a good variety of courses and (more importantly) choose a course which allows for flexibility in subject choices.

If you don't particularly want to do law, Arts(Journalism) and Science double degree could be really good for you: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/2131.html You major in Journalism for the Arts component and in Psychology for the Science component. Or, you could do straight Arts, majoring in Journalism and also doing Psychology courses as electives.

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »
Monash at either Caulfield or Clayton.
Thanks

well at least cross Monash Caulfield off your list.

foley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »
If you want to keep your options open career-wise, Arts/Law is the best idea.

If you want to be a journalist, it's probably best to do a specific journalism course. RMIT and Monash both offer the Bechelor of Communications. From what I gather, RMIT has an especially good reputation for this (although perhaps someone else can share their expertise on this).

If you are looking at straight arts, the universities that offer the subjects you most want to do will obviously be best. If you want to do something that is quite general and is offered everywhere (e.g. languages, literature, philosophy, etc.), choose the university that has the most interesting looking courses in that area and a good variety of courses in that area (hint: it's no good if you want to major in literature if the university only offers courses in literature from a certain era, for instance). If you don't know what you would like to major in, choose a university that has a good variety of courses and (more importantly) choose a course which allows for flexibility in subject choices.

If you don't particularly want to do law, Arts(Journalism) and Science double degree could be really good for you: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/2131.html You major in Journalism for the Arts component and in Psychology for the Science component. Or, you could do straight Arts, majoring in Journalism and also doing Psychology courses as electives.

Thanks.

I don't think I would quite be able to get into Arts/Law at Clayton or Journalism at RMIT, but they are both in my preferences. I decided to put straight Arts at Melbourne as my first preference, probably majoring in psychology and then see where that takes me. Thoughts?

xoxogossipgirl

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »
why don't you do arts at melb and major in media com? and maybe minor in psych...just seems like a better option career-wise IMO

foley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:51 pm »
why don't you do arts at melb and major in media com? and maybe minor in psych...just seems like a better option career-wise IMO

Yeah that's an option, it's just that I have a greater interest in psych atm, so minoring in it is kind of pointless if i want to become a qualified psychologist down the track.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
Monash at either Caulfield or Clayton.
Thanks

well at least cross Monash Caulfield off your list.

This.

Don't consider Caulfield, if you're able to get into Clayton.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

foley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:56 pm »
Well yeah, obviously Clayton would have more options etc, but for me the travel would be a bit inconvenient. No matter though, reckon I have decided upon Melbourne :)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:18:17 pm »
I don't think I would quite be able to get into Arts/Law at Clayton or Journalism at RMIT, but they are both in my preferences. I decided to put straight Arts at Melbourne as my first preference, probably majoring in psychology and then see where that takes me. Thoughts?

I'm not 100% on this and not saying you should order your preferences by ATAR requirement - but if you have arts/law below UoM arts, even if you get a high enough ATAR you won't get an offer for arts/law...
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

foley

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »
Yeah thats true. However I'm not that keen on arts/law so there's no point putting it first.

gemgem49

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • no hesitation
  • Respect: +35
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:37 pm »
If you want to do journalism and end up at Monash Clayton, you'll be going to Caulfield for journo anyway. Clayton doesn't have journalism.
[ VCE 2008 ] Legal Studies 45 - English 39 - Biology 37 - History Revolutions 37 - Literature 24
ENTER: 92.80

[ 2009 - 2010 ] Arts (Global) at Monash University, Clayton.
[ 2011 ] went insane
[ 2012 ] Bachelor of Arts at Monash University, Clayton

kiraxxx

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Every Spring signals a new beginning
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
For Psychology...I find the Melb one better probable due to the subjects that they offer in it.
As for journalism...it's only at Caulfield which is a really small campus. But like most people have said journalism at RMIT has the better course. But since you want to do a double degree...then I say Clayton overall.
Photographer
Fantasy writer
Lover of nature & food
Focus Sport & ST fanatic
Wanderlust