Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:48:20 pm

Author Topic: Arts 2009. Yeeeeah.  (Read 14530 times)  Share 

brendan

Re: Arts 2009. Yeeeeah.
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2008, 08:55:05 pm »
I'm doing Arts at ANU. It's the best degree ever.

If only I got the ENTER I would have definitely joined you! :(
do you mean PHB Arts? Because Arts is 75
Yeah she does PhB Arts. I'm guessing she's busy doing her ASC (Advanced Studies Course) right now though because they're due tomorrow for PhB Arts kids - I imagine my neighbour (who also does PhB Arts) will be pulling an all nighter to finish it, she has to write 4000 words.

I finished mine for maths today. 8500 words/27 pages! :o
I had to write 3000 words (I did a 2000 word essay earlier on). It's called 'Constitution in Death: The Process of Public Mourning'.

post it!

Butler

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:28 am »
At this stage philosophy and european studies look like the two disciplines I'd be most likely to major in. What's vce philosophy like Butler?

VCE philosophy involves reading excerpts from texts, both ancient and modern, and trying to decipher what the hell they're talking about (It becomes easier). Unit 3 was based on The Good Life, so essentially morality, and we read Plato, Aristotle, Murdoch and Nietzsche. Unit 4 was Science, Knowledge and the Mind, which was divided into two subtopics. The first was the Mind/Body Problem, which is whether the mind is a physical part of the body or not. The second subtopic was whether science can give us knowledge. It has been, by far, the best subject I chose this year. I highly recommend it, and plan on majoring in it with my BA.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett.

I (L) probability.

VCE '08: Philosophy, Literature, History: Revs, Methods & English Language

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »

Yeah she does PhB Arts. I'm guessing she's busy doing her ASC (Advanced Studies Course) right now though because they're due tomorrow for PhB Arts kids - I imagine my neighbour (who also does PhB Arts) will be pulling an all nighter to finish it, she has to write 4000 words.

nah, I was inquiring as to whether PhB was what happy had in mind
  but what does ASC entail, briefly?

I guess it was because I read somewhere that you needed 99 or something to do that particular course that Eriny is doing, and thought it would be cool to do it because it sounds interesting, but I would never get the ENTER for it. :P I hope this makes more sense. :)

sonnypls

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 12:23:39 am »
I'd like to do ARTS and major in Japanese, with a minor/elective in any or in psychology, sociology or philosophy.

I like to know the reasons why the world is what it is.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2008, 12:14:07 am »

nah, I was inquiring as to whether PhB was what happy had in mind
  but what does ASC entail, briefly?

I guess it was because I read somewhere that you needed 99 or something to do that particular course that Eriny is doing, and thought it would be cool to do it because it sounds interesting, but I would never get the ENTER for it. :P I hope this makes more sense. :)
But you can do Arts at Anu for 75, which in itself seems a decent option [the question of moving aside]. And then you might be able to transfer to PhB, though you'd need, what, HD minimum? But even *if* you do disappointingly at VCE, doesn't mean you're not intelligent or preclude you from success at uni :)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2008, 09:13:16 am »
Yeah. At the last PhB gathering thing, I met one person who enrolled in a regular BA, did really well and then was actually approached about enrolling in the PhB. Your ENTER won't stop you from doing what you like.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2008, 02:43:58 pm »
Yeah. At the last PhB gathering thing, I met one person who enrolled in a regular BA, did really well and then was actually approached about enrolling in the PhB. Your ENTER won't stop you from doing what you like.

I don't think I've applied on time, though. The applications are possibly closed, and if not, I don't want to pay a $100 late fee :P. How hard is it to transfer to Canberra from a University in Melbourne?

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2008, 04:08:01 pm »

I don't think I've applied on time, though. The applications are possibly closed, and if not, I don't want to pay a $100 late fee :P. How hard is it to transfer to Canberra from a University in Melbourne?
ANU is ranked higher than Monash or UoM. So it's pretty easy to transfer...
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

garrc90

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 03:28:50 pm »
Im currently studying Arts at VIC. UNI- footscray!! its cool..
Im majoring in Japanese and performance, and I want to become a Secondary teacher...
Last week, the uni informed us that in order to complete my japanese major.. Ill have to transfer to Melb. uni but still do performance major at VU...
does anyone know what grades i need to fully transfer to a different uni??
so that i can study both Performance and Japanese at the same university??
any suggestions?