Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 01:40:13 pm

Author Topic: Mid year exam assistance thread  (Read 24584 times)  Share 

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Re: Mid year exam assistance thread
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »
The correct answer is D. It would definitely be considered a breach of ethical principles if you were to ask a brain damaged patient to offer informed consent.

There was a similar question on last year's exam which concluded that in the case of a brain damaged patient, a psychologist must seek guidance from an ethics committee in such instances.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

daniel99

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:05 am »
is it just me or are the non VCAA exams harder, i mean i score better on past VCAA exams then i do on other ones.
Yep, VCAA is easier than Neap and STAV, I'd say (haven't done any TSSMs). Yay, I guess...it's mainly because VCAA exams are (obviously) the most relevant, and don't usually have stupid questions. I think it was in a STAV that there was a 3-mark question asking why the Gestalt principles are called 'grouping principles'. Honestly...

Definately not C because CT scans don't have radiation (they have an iodine substance injected)
CT scans use X-rays taken and various angles, and thus do involve radiation...? To my knowledge, they don't involve injecting anything :S

I did this exam question yesterday, and I also concluded it was A, because I don't believe that the radiation of CT scans outweighs the benefits (a few X-rays never hurt anyone, did they?)

A CT does involve injecting a substance into the body so that the image is contrasted better against the brain and therefore the picture is better/ clearer. However, the substance is not radioactive, but they are still exposed to X-rays to produce the image.

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2008, 01:16:34 pm »
ummm a bit of a stupid question considering how close the exam is but here it goes. :idiot2:

can some body please confirm for me what brainwaves occur in what stages, as in -awake, drowsiness, stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 and stage 4. Also usually stage 3 and 4 are grouped together in books, so then what makes them so different that they need their own stage?
Also is it that each stage lasts 90 mins or each cycle?

The thing is each text i look at is a little different and some combine different waves from different stages. Im just loosing my mind : :laugh:

ilovesuck

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2008, 01:25:54 pm »
awake: beta waves
relaxed (eg meditative state but still awake): alpha waves
stage 1: theta waves replace alpha waves
stage 2: theta waves + sleep spindles and possible k-complexes
stage 3: theta waves with 20-50% delta waves
stage 4: >50% delta waves.
REM sleep: beta-like waves.

each cycle lasts 90 minutes (that is, stage 1 through to stage 4 + REM sleep = ~90min)

psychlaw

« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2008, 01:46:53 pm »
is it just me or are the non VCAA exams harder, i mean i score better on past VCAA exams then i do on other ones.
Yep, VCAA is easier than Neap and STAV, I'd say (haven't done any TSSMs). Yay, I guess...it's mainly because VCAA exams are (obviously) the most relevant, and don't usually have stupid questions. I think it was in a STAV that there was a 3-mark question asking why the Gestalt principles are called 'grouping principles'. Honestly...

Definately not C because CT scans don't have radiation (they have an iodine substance injected)
CT scans use X-rays taken and various angles, and thus do involve radiation...? To my knowledge, they don't involve injecting anything :S

I did this exam question yesterday, and I also concluded it was A, because I don't believe that the radiation of CT scans outweighs the benefits (a few X-rays never hurt anyone, did they?)

A CT does involve injecting a substance into the body so that the image is contrasted better against the brain and therefore the picture is better/ clearer. However, the substance is not radioactive, but they are still exposed to X-rays to produce the image.

umm thats exactly what I said... ROFL

"CT scans don't have radiation (THEY HAVE AN IODINE SUBJECT INJECTED"

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2008, 01:48:15 pm »
i lost a mark on a practice exam that i did in class for not specifying that theta waves define stage 1 sleep, i only said that theta waves and alpha waves were both apparent in stage 1 sleep  :( , so remember, it's not enough to just list the types of brain waves!

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »
awake: beta waves
relaxed (eg meditative state but still awake): alpha waves
stage 1: theta waves replace alpha waves
stage 2: theta waves + sleep spindles and possible k-complexes
stage 3: theta waves with 20-50% delta waves
stage 4: >50% delta waves.
REM sleep: beta-like waves.

each cycle lasts 90 minutes (that is, stage 1 through to stage 4 + REM sleep = ~90min)

thanks for your prompt response  ;)- i was especially confused about the second one, now i think i get it.  ;D

daniel99

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2008, 02:00:52 pm »

umm thats exactly what I said... ROFL

"CT scans don't have radiation (THEY HAVE AN IODINE SUBJECT INJECTED"

your point is? Or do you just be annoying for the fun of it?

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2008, 03:20:40 pm »
do we need to know the stroop effect? :s

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:12 pm »
i don't think so

ilovesuck

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2008, 04:12:41 pm »
can someone give a concise explanation, that would satisfy a 3 mark question on the exam, as to why the ames room illusion occurs?

im finding it hard to keep the explanation short and succinct...

daniel99

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2008, 04:13:47 pm »
can someone give a concise explanation, that would satisfy a 3 mark question on the exam, as to why the ames room illusion occurs?

me 2....probably the only thing im struggling with:(

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2008, 04:24:29 pm »
the ames room is constructed in the shape of a trapezoid. the ceiling slopes upward (right to left), so that the ceiling height is taller on the left side of the room; the left corner is double the distance away from the viewer than the right corner is, however, due to the elimination of binocular depth cues due to the monocular peephole, the back wall appears to be parallel to the front wall, as shape constancy overrules size constancy - the viewer more readily perceives people as differing in size than rooms that are not rectangular/square in shape.

(i doubt that'll fit the space allocated though)

i'm having more trouble explaining the muller lyer illusion succinctly, lol
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:30:08 pm by moshi »

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2008, 04:30:34 pm »

This is something written by the chief assessor that would achieve three marks.

1. The room is perceived as a normal shaped room (rectangular) but is really a trapezoid. One back corner is twice as far from the viewer than the other
2. A person crossing the room changes distance from the viewer, so the size of the retinal image changes
3. The viewer perceives the person to have changed size, not distance.

You might find that useful, but personally, I prefer my own notes...

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2008, 04:34:14 pm »
here's a multiple choice question that i was also rather confused with:
merle has excellent perceptual skills. she can recognise patterns, face and melodies and is very skillful at putting together jigsaw puzzles. she is also superior at understanding language and can differentiate between jokes, irony and sarcasm. which part of the brain is responsible for merle being able to perform all tasks?
a. occipital lobe
b. right hemisphere
c. frontal lobe
d. left hemisphere