Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 02:30:55 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348945 times)  Share 

Ragdolls

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 07:28:38 pm »
Thanks Ragdolls, could you maybe go into a little more depth into what exactly he does?

Hey Skidous. When I researched this in class that is all the information I found about him. So he basically works in the field of genetics and works by analysing cells. That's what I can interpret from the research I done.

Hope this helps...
Keep smiling and be happy!

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »
Thanks that's all I needed, big help, hope to see you on the forums some more.
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

Ragdolls

• Adventurer
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2016, 07:30:52 pm »
Thanks that's all I needed, big help, hope to see you on the forums some more.

Thanks Skidoos!  :)

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:41 pm »
It's Skidous...but no problem

Ragdolls

• Adventurer
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »
Hey. I just wanted to ask if anyone could please help me understand the parts of the brain from the Communications Option. I'm unsure which section of the brain is responsible for what...

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2016, 07:34:18 pm »

Hey. I just wanted to ask if anyone could please help me understand the parts of the brain from the Communications Option. I'm unsure which section of the brain is responsible for what...
Unfortunately I have not covered this part in the content yet :(

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2016, 08:28:11 pm »
+2
Hi, I was just wondering, if a gene I'd recessively sex linked on the X chromosome (males get) are those males then encouraged not to reproduce or even perhaps the mother of the child with the disease encouraged not to reproduce again.
Thanks

P.S. Not trying to offend anyone just wondering because I got a question that asks how to prevent someone with this disease from passing it on to further generations. If they are "allowed" to reproduce how else would they prevent the passing on of the disease to future generations

Just going to jump in and say something about this.

If a male has an X-linked recessive condition, he can only pass that X chromosome onto his daughter. So if his wife is homozygous dominant, then there's actually no danger of that man passing on that condition to a child. The daughter will certainly be a carrier though.
In terms of X-linked conditions, you start to get into murkier waters when the mother has an X-linked recessive condition. In that case, there's a 50% chance that she will pass that condition onto a son. Indeed, the couple can't have a male child that doesn't have the condition.

I just wanted to say those things, because your question seems to me to belie a misunderstanding about the way X-linked inheritance works. On the ethical arguments, that's really up to you to form your own opinion. There is not any legislation in Australia that prevents someone with a genetic disease from having a child. Personally, I think it'd be abhorrent if there were, but you may disagree with me.

As Skidous mentioned, there are technologies that can help prevent these diseases from being passed on. He referenced a couple that are available to women, but I would add this clarification: they also can be used to assess the genome of the male gametes too. So, in IVF for instance, you can actually check the sperm and the egg to make sure that the egg that is implanted (i.e. given back to the woman) does not carry a genetic disease.

People with a genetic disease often do feel really anxious about having children. It's really useful for them to meet with their doctor, and hopefully then a genetic counsellor, for some testing to ascertain the risk that the child will also have the disease. Beyond that, there can also be some other potential issues. For instance, cycstic fibrosis dramatically reduces male fertility (to the point that they can't naturally conceive). Also, other genetic diseases might make it dangerous for a woman to carry the foetus (if she has the disease), or may result in the inability of a parent to care for their children when they're growing up.

These are difficult decisions that often require difficult choices. What I think is important is that these choices remain with the patient and that they be allowed to make those choices with the help of good advice. :)

Can you give us some more deets about the option please? I'm a VCE kid but should hopefully know the content :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2016, 08:30:56 pm »
It's a question about what sections of the brain are responsible for each process with regards to receiving and interpreting stimuli (sound, sight, smell, taste, touch)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2016, 08:37:46 pm »
+1
It's a question about what sections of the brain are responsible for each process with regards to receiving and interpreting stimuli (sound, sight, smell, taste, touch)

Thanks mate. To the OP, you can probably Google these and I would encourage you to.

Sound: auditory cortex in the temporal lobe.
Sight: visual cortex in the occipital lobe
Smell/taste: not really sure. Pretty sure they're not as well studied and not as discretely located as the other senses (Google this)
Touch: Somatosensory cortex, partietal lobe (sits right behind the central sulcus, which divides it and the motor cortex)

Also really worth remembering that even though these areas are those responsible for the first steps in interpreting sensory signals, these signals are then transmitted to different parts of the brain for higher-level analysis and integration with other senses/prior knowledge. For example, if you see an orange coloured fruit, and don't know what it is. You might smell it. You decide it smells like a tangerine or a mandarin, thereby excluding orange, grapefruit etc. To confirm, you take a bite. Low and behold it's a mandarin. Here you've used three different senses to determine what the fruit is. Obviously these three senses have to be put together, and then added to your memories of the fruit to make sense of what it is. It then follows that there are brain areas (called association areas) responsible for this kind of stuff.

Gregs

• Trailblazer
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2016, 08:48:27 pm »
+1
Hi Vox, yeah sorry i should've made my understanding clearer i was more talking about the kids of the daughters he had being affected. I didn't make that clear at all, my bad. Thanks for the extra info as well
ATAR: 91.45

Biology: 93
General maths: 90
PDHPE: 90
Chemistry:84
Standard English: 82

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »
For future notice, true just copying out the question that was asked so there is less confusion

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2016, 09:49:57 pm »
+3
Hi Vox, yeah sorry i should've made my understanding clearer i was more talking about the kids of the daughters he had being affected. I didn't make that clear at all, my bad. Thanks for the extra info as well

Not a worry at all!

I see what you mean there. That's a big ethical issue. With IVF, for instance, you can help someone with cystic fibrosis have a baby...but that baby is certain to be a carrier of CF. There's debate about whether that's ok, particularly given that 1 in 25 Anglo-Saxons already carry the gene.

For future notice, true just copying out the question that was asked so there is less confusion

I don't think this advice is necessary :) There's a lot to be gained in asking questions in your own word. It shows that you've actually thought about it, rather than picking them out of the book and dumping them on AN. Was really happy to give Gregs a long answer because they'd clearly put in a lot of thought to the question.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »
+1
Announcement

Just before anyone starts posting questions about their trial exam please see the thread started by fellow mod StudyBuddy and go ask questions about your thoughts on the trial

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2016, 08:30:42 pm »
Hi I was wondering could anyone help me on how to understand hormonal regulation for a female for the ovulation/menstruation cycle? I understand how the hormones are regulated before fertilization.
But I was wondering what happens to the cycle when there is fertilization and no fertilization.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2016, 10:36:43 pm »
Hey anotherworld2b
I don't think this is in the Biology Syllabus since there isn't any need for bio students to know the hormonal regulation for ovulation/menstruation cycle.
I did find a video that may assist though
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDatCchpus

If this doesn't help then I'm sorry, but you may wanna head over to the Senior Science Board or another science related board for more assistance

Hope this helps
Skidous