Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 09:38:59 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348998 times)  Share 

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #765 on: September 23, 2017, 09:51:44 pm »
Rod cells are found in bunches of thousands and are attached to a single nerve cell, resulting in high retinal convergence, consequently also resulting in poorer vision acuity. This coupled with the ability of rod cells to only distinguish between dark and light results in them to have poor visual acuity. In contrast, cone cells are each attached to a single nerve cell which coupled with their ability to distinguish colour results in them having higher visual acuity.
thanks!

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #766 on: September 24, 2017, 08:25:45 am »
1) Resting membrane potential of -70 mV.
2) A stimulus occurs which causes depolarisation if the threshold of -55 mV is met, i.e. voltage-gated sodium ion channels open so sodium ions rush in the axon which causes membrane potential to change to around +40 mV.
3) Repolarisation occurs where sodium ion channels close and potassium ion channels open, causing potassium to rush out. This makes the membrane potential down to -75 mV.
4) Since it is too negative, repolarisation occurs which means that all ion channels close and the sodium-potassium pump balances the membrane potential to -70 mV, also known as the refractory period.

Makes sense thank you!!
ATAR Goal 90

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #767 on: September 27, 2017, 07:18:38 am »
Hey,
I'm not doing that great in biology. My main concerns are that I don't include the exact word or two that the teachers are looking for, and am not very concise. Any ways to help with this?

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #768 on: September 27, 2017, 08:51:03 am »
Hey,
I'm not doing that great in biology. My main concerns are that I don't include the exact word or two that the teachers are looking for, and am not very concise. Any ways to help with this?
Memorising is KEY. if you have your notes memorised, then when you respond to questions, the syllabus metalanguage with flow automactically, but you need to have written with that kind of language in the first place :)
ATAR Goal 90

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #769 on: September 27, 2017, 09:22:08 am »
Hi, can someone please summarise the following communication dot points for me? I am super confused as all the information in the textbooks and other notes I've seen is super convoluted :(
-> identify those areas of the cerebrum involved in the perception and interpretation of light and sound
->perform a first-hand investigation to examine an appropriate mammalian brain or model of a human brain to gather information to distinguish the cerebrum, cerebellum and medulla oblongata and locate the regions involved in speech, sight and sound perception
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #770 on: September 27, 2017, 10:48:16 am »
+8
Hi, can someone please summarise the following communication dot points for me? I am super confused as all the information in the textbooks and other notes I've seen is super convoluted :(
-> identify those areas of the cerebrum involved in the perception and interpretation of light and sound
->perform a first-hand investigation to examine an appropriate mammalian brain or model of a human brain to gather information to distinguish the cerebrum, cerebellum and medulla oblongata and locate the regions involved in speech, sight and sound perception

Hi!

- Light/Sight (Occipital Lobe)
            - Visual cortex: Where signals are sent from the retina via the optic nerve to the brain
            - Visual association area: Processes and interprets visual information)
- Sound (Temporal Lobe)
            - Auditory area:  Where signals are sent from the hair cells in the organ of Corti via the auditory nerve to the brain
            - Auditory association area:  Processes and interprets auditory information
- Speech:
            - Wernicke's Area: Sensory speech
            - Broca's Area: Motor speech

Hope this helps
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #771 on: September 27, 2017, 10:56:02 am »
+4
Hi!

- Light/Sight (Occipital Lobe)
            - Visual cortex: Where signals are sent from the retina via the optic nerve to the brain
            - Visual association area: Processes and interprets visual information)
- Sound (Temporal Lobe)
            - Auditory area:  Where signals are sent from the hair cells in the organ of Corti via the auditory nerve to the brain
            - Auditory association area:  Processes and interprets auditory information
- Speech:
            - Wernicke's Area: Sensory speech
            - Broca's Area: Motor speech

(Image removed from quote.)

Hope this helps

your answers are always so good!
ATAR Goal 90

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #772 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:15 am »
Memorising is KEY. if you have your notes memorised, then when you respond to questions, the syllabus metalanguage with flow automactically, but you need to have written with that kind of language in the first place :)

Is there like a good guide for writing with the syllabus meta language? Like any example study notes?

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #773 on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:04 am »
Is there like a good guide for writing with the syllabus meta language? Like any example study notes?

Atarnotes has a bunch of free notes you can download or if you want the BEST notes you can buy the Atarnotes biology notes for $25
trust me you need those notes in your life:)
(i should be paid for the amount of promotion i do for Atarnotes lolll, i literelly tell everyone)
ATAR Goal 90

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #774 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:47 am »
+3
Purely memory can only get you so far; under pressure, we often forget the basics, so it's in our best interest to go one step beyond memory: application.

Content-heavy subjects, like biology, assesses you to understand the syllabus in full. Each dot point connects with another, so to minimise the work we are required to do, try to create a mind map listing out the dot points in each topic with links to another dot point. For instance, if antigenic particles trigger the immune response and we have antigens in our own organs, why doesn't our body trigger an immune response?

Understanding and asking questions is often the best way, then, to approach your studies. This will then lead you to being able to retain information clearer than just memory, because it's embedded into your knowledge now. Then we can begin to tackle questions that require specific language (jargon), particularly questions involving organ rejection.

In summary:
1) Do you know your content well enough?
2) Can you interpret the question correctly?
3) Are you able to sustain a logical response?

If you answer no to any one of these questions, you do not understand the content; you just memorise them.

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #775 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:39 pm »
Atarnotes has a bunch of free notes you can download or if you want the BEST notes you can buy the Atarnotes biology notes for $25
trust me you need those notes in your life:)
(i should be paid for the amount of promotion i do for Atarnotes lolll, i literelly tell everyone)

Yep, thank you. I've bought the practice papers but will look at getting the book 😀

Angeleca

• Fresh Poster
  • School: bossley park high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #776 on: September 27, 2017, 01:00:22 pm »
Hey guys! So for anyone doing the communications elective, do we have to know how to modulate sound waves?  :-[
Thanks!

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #777 on: September 27, 2017, 01:02:06 pm »
Hey guys! So for anyone doing the communications elective, do we have to know how to modulate sound waves?  :-[
Thanks!

yep! we did a prac on it remember
ATAR Goal 90

Nym1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #778 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:43 pm »
Hi, with the 2008 HSC Exam, there is an 8 mark question! 😬
How would you answer this question or any other 6-8 mark question? I really like tables so I would probably break it down into a table and put a concluding statement at the end but my bio teacher says I should always write it as an essay whilst my physics teacher prefers tables!. Usually, if I write it as an essay I just repeat myself over and over again. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:59:20 pm by Nym1 »

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #779 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »
Thanks!

it isn't so hard its just the larynx get longer or shorter to change pitch and mouth and tongue produce different sounds. That's it ?
:3